Holiday in the UK and LIVE!

wildebus

People may be surprised about the UK given some of the driving you see on the road, but .....
_102006666_road_deaths_in_the_eu_640-nc.png

Romania being the worst doesn’t surprise me one bit, on a motorbike holiday there a few years ago a very large SUV overtookme and a few friends SIDEWAYS in a cloud of tyre smoke in an attempt to miss colliding with us all. The driver was definitely in need of some tuition ????

With the atrocious and ever worsening condition of the UK’s roads it wouldn’t surprise me one little bit if the fatality RTA rate will be on the significant increase!

Having driven in every one of those countries with the exception of Malta, I'm surprised Italy isn't top of the table. I swore I'd never ever drive in Italy again the tenth time I was almost killed by oncoming traffic.

................................... I'm surprised Italy isn't top of the table. I swore I'd never ever drive in Italy again the tenth time I was almost killed by oncoming traffic.
Me too!!! I still remember the time on a motorway when an Italian in front of me missed his turning and thought it perfectly acceptable to reverse back towards me so that he could have another go.

Still not quite certain how I didn't slam into him. :eek:

Me too!!! I still remember the time on a motorway when an Italian in front of me missed his turning and thought it perfectly acceptable to reverse back towards me so that he could have another go.

Still not quite certain how I didn't slam into him. :eek:

This happened to me in south wales while driving on the M4, boyo chose the section that has no hard shoulder & only two lanes.
It's lucky the driver who was overtaking me saw what was happening & braked to let me out!!

If I'd had a dashcam then, he would've been banned for sure!

Phill

I have driven in Saudi Arabia, Algeria and Kenya. I wonder how they compare with the EU countries?

A colleague living in Bangalore India told me she was shortly taking her driving test. I wished her all the best.

A short while later she told me she'd passed, which I said was great news. As an aside, and as a matter of interest, I asked her to describe the test.

I was less than delighted to hear she'd started the car, driven off, and parked 200 yards later........ That's all it was!

I love Norway...it doesn't even register!;)
It's not in the EU, the table was about road deaths in the European Union.

If we include non-EU countries, having taken my life in my hands and driven a motorhome in Russia, on the notorious M11 Moscow-St Petersburg motorway, I would say that by comparison even Italy seemed safe :D

Yep Romania the worst.
A bit surprised France Belgium and Italy (despite reputation) so high (not position-wise but on terms of death-rate).
Of course the stats do not take into account mileage driven which would present an entirely different view (I think).
Eg deaths per 10,000 km (or 1000 what ever gives the most useful result)

Haven’t driven in Malta or Cyprus, but the results don’t surprise me. The roads in Poland Lithuania and Latvia are full of Russain, Belarus and Ukranian vehicles, not just trucks but fancy cars, virtually an accident on every horizon.

VOSA changed to DVSA when the hgv/psv testing merged with the driving test side , and before that it was Vehicle Inspectorate ?

Am I the only one with a motor home who has NEVER been abroad? The only places that I have been to outside mainland Britain are the Isle of Man and the Scilly Isles, and I didn't take the van to either. I have never seen the point of going abroad, it must cost hundreds of pounds AND there are no proper pubs selling good old British real ale. I'm sticking to GB only.

I only use my motorhome in the UK, its difficult to go abroad when you don't have passport, I have a paper non photo driving licence too.
It can be tricky when you don't have any photo ID, some people just don't believe you!!
There are so many lovely places in the UK I have yet to see, why pay to go somewhere where you don't know what they are saying to you.
(mind you there a lot of places in the UK where you can't understand the locals.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back