HOPE EVERYONE IS SAFE

Main problem got here apart from missing trees is no power so no heating :(. And gas fire in motorhome decided to play up so might need to rely on cooker to warm it up when making dinner.

When I lived in a remote village, power outs were common. So as Trevor mentions, turn the mains of to the house and use a double male power cable and run the house from a 3kva generator. Gas cooker was on propane, 47kg lasted a few years. Oil fired central heating, but needs electric to work.

Oddly enough, when I was checking out black Friday deals on Friday, a couple of UPSes popped up. Spooky or what!
I think I mentioned this before, but when reading the multiplus info. It looks like you can set them up to feed the grid. If so your camper could be your UPS. If you parked in the sun, you could reduce your grid consumption. So even save some pennies. Shame about your flat batteries :(

I think I mentioned this before, but when reading the multiplus info. It looks like you can set them up to feed the grid. If so your camper could be your UPS. If you parked in the sun, you could reduce your grid consumption. So even save some pennies. Shame about your flat batteries :(
You can set up an ESS config, which works well in some situations, but in the UK it is a right faff and unless you have a very serious solar setup little point I think (the average solar setup would not have enough to even run a 3-way fridge on electric over 24 hours).
I have in the past just run a cable to plug stuff in in the house when had a cut in the past.

You can set up an ESS config, which works well in some situations, but in the UK it is a right faff and unless you have a very serious solar setup little point I think (the average solar setup would not have enough to even run a 3-way fridge on electric over 24 hours).
I have in the past just run a cable to plug stuff in in the house when had a cut in the past.
Just think, it might be £0.50 per day savings. If electricity prices go up, it might be a £1.00 ;)

When I lived in a remote village, power outs were common. So as Trevor mentions, turn the mains of to the house and use a double male power cable and run the house from a 3kva generator. Gas cooker was on propane, 47kg lasted a few years. Oil fired central heating, but needs electric to work.
My heating boiler/pump and motor valves use max 100w and all the led lights used would be 30/40w except kitchen strip which is 48w, the tv that I don't have burns 100w, so my little 600w two stroke genny will more than do the job. 🤪

We have oil heating but as you say needs electricity to work. I have thought a few times of reworking so instead of the boiler being connected to a hard-wired spur, it is on a 13A plug into a socket so I can just unplug from house supply and instead plug into a backup supply (a battery with a small inverter would be good enough for quite a while I think).

We have oil heating but as you say needs electricity to work. I have thought a few times of reworking so instead of the boiler being connected to a hard-wired spur, it is on a 13A plug into a socket so I can just unplug from house supply and instead plug into a backup supply (a battery with a small inverter would be good enough for quite a while I think).
No dont, and how would the motorvalves open and the control unit/stats work, went to a old girls home once as she said her lawn mower kept starting and stopping, yep she had pulled a 3 pin illegal fitted poor practice plug on boiler and connected her l mower.
Oil boilers should be hard wired to the signal line from m valves with a 3/5 amp fuse as picture.fused spur..png

all ok here in Sunny Southampton hardly saw the storm, , we had Snow overnight Sunday small covering all over the Garden but lovely sunny day now so all melting, looking at the van parked in the Garden and feeling sad that we will not be going to Spain this winter but hey ho it is what it is, Stay safe all of you the Virus is still out there and getting stronger it seems,

No dont, and how would the motorvalves open and the control unit/stats work, went to a old girls home once as she said her lawn mower kept starting and stopping, yep she had pulled a 3 pin illegal fitted poor practice plug on boiler and connected her l mower.
Oil boilers should be hard wired to the signal line from m valves with a 3/5 amp fuse as picture.View attachment 61529
Very glad we have our wood burner, lovely and warm when that is going, got plenty of wood logs etc in store , gas central heating too but try not to use that at all just run it now and then to keep it in condition, the boiler runs twice a day for an hour each time just for hot water which is stored in a large insulated tank, old school I know but very efficient we believe, got several gas burners / cookers for emergency cooking if Lecky goes off as we cook with Lecky here, Several barbies too and lots of bottled gas most part used so all good there too., and the van s in the garden so a bolt hole there if all else fails ,Diesel heating and hot water there too, got it covered we hope ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back