Hot water

silverweed

As ideas anyone. I have not use the hot water system for a couple of months now as just tend to heat water to wash with by the sun or boil a kettle for dishes. I ran the hot water yesterday and it smelt very sulphurous. Ran the tap to rinse it out, at least 10 litres. Then pushed the button to empty it and refilled with fresh water at the same time as filling the tank. This morning there is still a faint smell. What could be causing this? I know it’s not a major problem in that it’s from the hot tap so not drinking it but confused as to cause

Have you done a full flush through I recently had a bit of a odd smell from the water system purged the whole system through with fresh water running to hot and cold taps, filled fresh water tank and added a lot of puriclean ran around for two days dumped the fresh water tank.... filled tank now ok no smell, also back flushed the waste tank my system probably not a sophisticated as yours, ps could it be of the heater element on the water heater heating dry like when you dont put water in the kettle?

It has probably got algae in the tank , you need to fill it with a weak water and Milton sterilising solution , then leave it over night rinse out then all will be fine

I do have a pack of Puriclean but will do that on return home. The water tank itself appears fine. I have noticed in the past that I have had bio film in the water after the summer so will give it a good clean

This is a very common problem with hot water , usually if the tank is filled with mains water it isn’t a problem but,we have solar heated hot water that is filled from our bore hole , about once a month in the summer I have to put a bottle of peroxide solution in the tank otherwise it stinks of sulfur. If you goggle water smelling of rotten eggs you will find a load of information.Hope this helps. Incidentally it is apparently down to what chemicals the water contains.

Your right, I just looked on internet and no real issue. When home again I will clean out system and that should be ok for another year or so

Anything with water in it needs regular usage....Just flushinh through more regularly will help...Assuming you can run the hot water tap when the water is cold.
Do whichever purifying method e
Works maybe 2x a year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back