Houston We Have A Problem

StreetSleeper

Think I've found out why the van has not been running too well. I did a compression test and these are the results......can you spot the difference?

Cylinder 1​

Cylinder 2​

Cylinder 3​

Cylinder 4​

It could be a tight tappet or a burnt valve: as no water has been used, the oil has no signs of mayonnaise at the cap and I've run it on LPG I would think I've burnt a valve.

Rae

Last edited:

andyjanet

Rae are they not hydraulic tappers in that engine, I would think you are looking at exhaust valve being burnt, turn it over by hand until both valves closed then use small compressor to blow air into plug hole to see which it ?haha why am I bothering typing this out when you can probably fix it quicker than me ?? good luck with gettin it sorted

StreetSleeper

Hello Andy,
Your advice is always well appreciated and your knowledge far outweighs mine. The problem we have here is the tappets are shimmed so, in these cases, I tend to take them somewhere. I have to agree I think it's the exhaust valve, whether it was caused by the LPG I wouldn't like to say but it certainly wouldn't have helped it so tomorrow we're off to find a man who does. Let's hope this is the problem that has been plaguing me.

Rae

Trotter

I’m still surprised you’ve not combined 4 A10’s together in a V formation. Air cooled V8. Not beyond your expertise or what you’ve got kicking around the shed. Should exceed 35mph ?

andyjanet

How many miles has the engine done I would say you possibly have the start of a problem on the reading of 90 psi as well, are the cylinders side by side possibly a head gasket fluffing between cylinders

StreetSleeper

How many miles has the engine done I would say you possibly have the start of a problem on the reading of 90 psi as well, are the cylinders side by side possibly a head gasket fluffing between cylinders
Hello Andy,
Just over 59,000 miles and third and fourth cylinder are the culprits (gearbox end): fourth being the worst. If it's just the gasket, happy days.

Rae

StreetSleeper

truth is the engine is knackered.
Hello Trev,
How knackered is knackered? Are we talking the engine is only fit to be a boat anchor or are we saying the top end needs an overhaul? Banging in some new valves and cutting the seats won't break the bank.

Rae

Trotter

Down to two Pinto engines. Sounds like a refurbishment on one of them is on the cards. It’ll keep you from her feet ?
Plus, whatever vehicle you buy, self build or tailor made, you’d not be able to leave it alone. ?

The laird

Cannae see it being knackered it’s not using oil ,if it’s the valve rae it’s got buckets with shimmed tappets hem at Laurieston Falkirk are the guys imho

StreetSleeper

whatever vehicle you buy, self build or tailor made, you’d not be able to leave it alone. ?
Hello Del,
How can you say that? I've hardly touched this one.......now the last one, that was a different story. Oh, and now you mention it, the one before that and, of course, mustn't forget the other one and then there was my favourite but the Transit engine swap in the Bedford was nice.......so I haven't got any idea what you're talking about Del.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Cannae see it being knackered it’s not using oil ,if it’s the valve rae it’s got buckets with shimmed tappets hem at Laurieston Falkirk are the guys imho
Hello Gogsy,
Been to a couple of workshop evenings at JEM engineering, certainly the boys when it comes to Ford engines and they would be my first choice if the head has to go away: whether it's a valve or the gasket, the head's coming off. A full set of exhaust valves are only sixty odd pound. Getting the seats recut is not a big job.......not sure about the shims though.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Are you thinking compression rings ?
Well last night, coming home, we were still managing 70, it only starts playing up on tick over so when we're stopped at traffic lights or junctions I have to keep my foot on the accelerator.

Rae

andyjanet

if I was having it apart I would start off with a full set of unleaded valves and lap them into the seats, you can buy the shims and it’s only a bit of messing with a gauge to find out which you need @ 59000 the rings will be fine although you could rip the sump off undo the big ends slide the pistons out, deglaze the bored fit new rings, end shells and have it back together before supper,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)