Houston We Have A Problem

nabsim

The plan of action will be, eventually, to replace the camshaft, temperature & map sensors and throttle valve and after that lot I'm hoping the problem will be solved.

Rae
Sorry Rae, have I missed something somewhere, what did you do about the cylinder that was reading low compression?

StreetSleeper

Sorry Rae, have I missed something somewhere, what did you do about the cylinder that was reading low compression?
Hello Neil,
When I took it into the garage the owner was specific in telling me DO NOT REMOVE THE HEAD, try everything else out first and then the head comes off as a last resort. I'm now tending to think along the lines of maybe sticky rings, for which I have already poured Sea Foam down the bores and left overnight, which I think did make some improvement but then that might be wishful thinking. Anyway, the bits I'm replacing are pennies compared to removing the head so a good policy, I think, is replace the cheap bits first and, if nothing happens, do the expensive bit.

Rae

chas142

Hi Rae, before you go to far, have you checked those HT leads for continuity? including the king lead, or replaced them, I've had them where they go open circuit as they vibrate, I used to check mostly by using a impulse timing light, or those flashing indicators that you put on the top of the spark plugs, found them very good. What are the condition & colours of the spark plugs. Sorry I'm going on again. Years ago I used to fix the cars that the mobile tune up guys couldn't, all I had a dwell meter, timing light and those flashy things for the spark plugs. Another thing they never found was lose inlet / exhaust manifold or blow gasket for same, also good feed and earth for the ignition system. I would make sure the ignition side was OK and that manifold / gasket side, before going to mad on the petrol, LPG and engine side. After the ignition and manifold test I would then run it on petrol then switch it to LPG, I wouldn't want to get it running OK on petrol, I would want to know; 1) how does it run on petrol, 2) how does it run on LPG. If it runs OK on LPG but not on Petrol you know you have a Petrol problem.
Chas.

StreetSleeper

The shopping list grew.

Fuel pressure regulator
Air filter
Crankshaft speed sensor
HT leads
MAP sensor
Ignition coil
Air temperature sensor
Coolant temperature sensor
Throttle position sensor
Air control valve

Only thing left is Fuel filter

Added some more to the replacement list. It's now running a lot smoother, I'm still not happy with how it's running but I think I'll just have to get used to that. The compression seems to have returned to the fourth cylinder, I have no idea why this would be, I can only put it down to something I must have done wrong. The consumption is 16 miles to the gallon but still seems to lack power on steep hills.........I'm talking about going into first gear. I shall now leave it alone after I have replaced the lambda probe and the fuel filter.

Rae

andyjanet

The shopping list grew.

View attachment 45851

Fuel pressure regulator
Air filter
Crankshaft speed sensor
HT leads
MAP sensor
Ignition coil
Air temperature sensor
Coolant temperature sensor
Throttle position sensor
Air control valve

Only thing left is Fuel filter

Added some more to the replacement list. It's now running a lot smoother, I'm still not happy with how it's running but I think I'll just have to get used to that. The compression seems to have returned to the fourth cylinder, I have no idea why this would be, I can only put it down to something I must have done wrong. The consumption is 16 miles to the gallon but still seems to lack power on steep hills.........I'm talking about going into first gear. I shall now leave it alone after I have replaced the lambda probe and the fuel filter.

Rae
Just the windscreen wipers and it’s a new van
Hope it’s sorted for you?

RoadTrek Boy

Regarding LPG, at Morrisons, Teignmouth petrol is 2.32 times the price of LPG, on a trip up to Exeter airport ( I was running late so I didn't hang about ) cost wise it worked out to the equivalent of 28MPG. (I also use Hydrogen assist on both petrol and LPG).... I can run my finger around the inside of the tail pipe and it remains clean...

chas142

Regarding LPG, at Morrisons, Teignmouth petrol is 2.32 times the price of LPG, on a trip up to Exeter airport ( I was running late so I didn't hang about ) cost wise it worked out to the equivalent of 28MPG. (I also use Hydrogen assist on both petrol and LPG).... I can run my finger around the inside of the tail pipe and it remains clean...
Re your Hydrogen assist, are you using the electrolyte version? I've been looking at that but also at a new electrical molecule breakdown version that's out, not the magnet system, but similar, supposed to work on getting the hydrogen to be released from inside the fuel itself, works on LPG, Diesel & Petrol, supposidly.

RoadTrek Boy

I am using the electrolyte version, at a strength of 6gm KOH to 1L of DE-ionised water as university studies have shown using a stronger solution brings the amps up but produces not a lot more gas, it just chucks out more heat. I am not familiar with the new electrical molecule breakdown version, any pointers where to look please..

chas142

I am using the electrolyte version, at a strength of 6gm KOH to 1L of DE-ionised water as university studies have shown using a stronger solution brings the amps up but produces not a lot more gas, it just chucks out more heat. I am not familiar with the new electrical molecule breakdown version, any pointers where to look please..
Thanks for the reply, here is the link. There are 2 versions, dependant on engine HP, the larger engine version is a more expensive unit, can be found under view sellers other items. I don't know if they work. As the seller sells both types I am assuming that they have done the research and proved the point. :cautious::cautious::cautious:

St3v3

Thanks for the reply, here is the link. There are 2 versions, dependant on engine HP, the larger engine version is a more expensive unit, can be found under view sellers other items. I don't know if they work. As the seller sells both types I am assuming that they have done the research and proved the point. :cautious::cautious::cautious:
That sounds amazing. But why don't manufacturers fit them?

chas142

Well I think this item has only been out for a couple of years at the most. Now RoadTrek Boy has a conventional HHO electrolyte system fitted to his MH, and more data and proof/people saying they work, so why don't manufactures fit those?

Could it be a big conspiracy, the Government wanting more petrol tax, the Oil Company's wanting to sell more fuel, the Car Manufacture's wanting you to buy newer cars, not improve the old ones. Der Dur, Der Dur, Der Dur, Der Dur!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: ;)

saxonborg

Very interesting, be good if it works. Out of interest I googled “Ultrasonic agitation of fuel in diesel engines”, and found that Google have a patent for “Ultrasonic unitized fuel injector with ceramic valve body” .

chas142

Just checked "Ultrasonic fuel injector cleaner" on ebay and comes up with lots of adds, lot of listings on internet for Ultrasonic unitized fuel injector with ceramic valve body. Need some time to read up a bit more, might be something in it.:)

Hydrogen engine cleaning seem to be very popular subject at the moment, and sounds logical. Also cleans valves, cylinders, perhaps even piston rings as they claim the oil can last longer, I think from memory. :cool:

Last edited:

StreetSleeper

Latest update on the compression:

cylinder 1 - 125
cylinder 2 - 90
cylinder 3 - 120
cylinder 4 - 75

Looks like the head's going to have to come off sometime in the future.

Rae

saxonborg

Latest update on the compression:

cylinder 1 - 125
cylinder 2 - 90
cylinder 3 - 120
cylinder 4 - 75

Looks like the head's going to have to come off sometime in the future.

Rae
Before you do that you could use an Endoscope to look into the cylinders to see if there is anything untoward happening.

StreetSleeper

Before you do that you could use an Endoscope to look into the cylinders to see if there is anything untoward happening.
Hello Eric,
I reckon it's either valves or seats, I'm losing no water or any oil but what I am getting is the occasional backfire.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Not good, did you put some oil in the spark plug holes and test it again?
No I didn't put oil down the bore but the engine had previously been running, all spark plugs were removed and the accelerator pedal was pushed to the floor when cranking the engine for the compression test.

Rae

saxonborg

Hello Eric,
I reckon it's either valves or seats, I'm losing no water or any oil but what I am getting is the occasional backfire.

Rae
You could look up the exhaust or inlet manifolds to look at valve seats. You can buy cheap endoscopes that work on Windows laptops, probably less than £20. Have a look on Amazon if only out of interest.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)