Houston We Have A Problem

StreetSleeper

reshiming isn’t a problem
Hello Andy,
Having never done one, I can't answer that. What I can say is the shims seem a tad expensive........depending on how many you need. Can't see what was wrong with tappets, nice and simple. I suppose shimming can't be any worse than those conical screws that were fitted to the Bedford 2.3 slant engine.

Rae

nabsim

Hello Andy,
Having never done one, I can't answer that. What I can say is the shims seem a tad expensive........depending on how many you need. Can't see what was wrong with tappets, nice and simple. I suppose shimming can't be any worse than those conical screws that were fitted to the Bedford 2.3 slant engine.

Rae
You need to see what shims you have already and then work out what can mix and match before you know what you need to buy Rae. That’s the way I did it but I wasn’t wanting to spend mega bucks on shims I didn’t need

StreetSleeper

memory is a bit cloudy, don’t the lobes on the shaft open the valves not close them?
Hello Neil,
Yes, you are correct; unless we are talking about Ducatis. Desmo opens and shuts mechanically. As for the Honda Black Bomber......well that's a different story.

Rae

StreetSleeper

I guess it would be nice to try a compression test with the cam removed, if that's possible...
Hello Steve,
We're on the same page. That would have been my first job once I'd removed the cam......and the belt.

Rae

StreetSleeper

It looks like oil starvation, or shimmed up incorrectly which could give low compression if the valves are not shutting fully or soon enough
Hello Richard,
Having slept on it last night, I think your diagnosis is probably spot on. I'm going to remove the pipe that runs along the top of the head and fill it up, after blocking one end, and see what oil comes out.

Rae

StreetSleeper

I reckon you've got enough evidence to justify pulling the head and consider rebuilding it.
Just changing the cam (and probably the buckets) is unlikely to cure the low compression which are probably valves not sealing.
With replacement heads not available this is the only option short of an exchange engine
Hello Mark,
I wouldn't argue with that.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Hardest part will be finding a good engine remanufacturer to do it.
Hello Mark,
Hopefully I've found one. The company is down south but they come highly recommended and if we can get this problem sorted I can get on with what we're supposed to do.........GO AWAY IN THE VAN.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Is it not something you can do yourself Rae?
Hello Neil,
There was a time when I would have said yes and probably would have done it with a fag in one hand and a mug of tea in the other. Unfortunately, I can't reach the exhaust studs at the back of the engine and, as I'm working off the floor, it's quite a problem. In these sort of cases a set of ramps or a pit would be very helpful.

Rae

StreetSleeper

You need to see what shims you have already and then work out what can mix and match
Hello Neil,
I have worked out the basics of how it is done, it just seems a lot of fuffing around. Why, oh why, did they not fit hydraulic ones........I would even settle for an upgrade.

Rae

nabsim

A mate used a 2litre pinto engine in his trike but he won’t part with that lol. I don’t suppose there is a head from a different make/model that will drop on is there? I don’t know any good modifier forums for Fords but they were very popular in various motorsports so one of them will probably know

StreetSleeper

A mate used a 2litre pinto engine
Hello Neil,
I've got two 2litre Pinto engines sitting in the garden as we speak (lovely engine). In fact, the last one I had I bored it out to 2.1 and had all manner of goodies to make it go better. Alas, it has gone but I still have some of the bits, like the inlet manifold that takes four Yamaha carburettors and the headers but enough of this nonsense. The engine that is fitted into this van is a Peugeot 1.9 petrol, if it had been a Fordy I can assure you it would have been sorted a long, long time ago.

Rae

Vanterrier

Fascinating thread but glad it's not my problem and hope you get it sorted soon. From what you have said I would have thought that if that cam was a quality original item and the problem was oil starvation, then the shims or followers would be worn or badly marked too, but you say the shims look ok and with that amount of wear on the cam lobes I suspect someone has previously fitted a cheap, Chinese? Camshaft. If that is the case, perhaps if you buy a quality camshaft, fit it with the correct shims and do a compression test you might be very lucky and find the valves are ok, fingers crossed... but I suspect that your valves or seats are damaged. Hope I am wrong.
Good luck.
K ;)

Molly 3

Are you going to take the head off ? Their must be some metal in the oil from the worn out cams that could have scratched the bores , hope you get sorted and soon . Bazz

nabsim

Hello Neil,
I've got two 2litre Pinto engines sitting in the garden as we speak (lovely engine). In fact, the last one I had I bored it out to 2.1 and had all manner of goodies to make it go better. Alas, it has gone but I still have some of the bits, like the inlet manifold that takes four Yamaha carburettors and the headers but enough of this nonsense. The engine that is fitted into this van is a Peugeot 1.9 petrol, if it had been a Fordy I can assure you it would have been sorted a long, long time ago.

Rae
Sorry Rae, for some reason I thought it was a pinto engine you had put in it. Feckin dementia eh? Lol

andyjanet

As far as I remember it’s camshaft, then cam followers (buckets) then the shims then the top of the valve with Collets and spring retainer, you should just be able to give the head to a remanufacturer and say, new valves, shims followers and cam,and they will set it all up, they should be able to measure the head and know the length of valves they can work out the shims required, then ask ; now how much money you want ?
Not sure if there’s enough room to get your cam out in situ as it only comes out one side, but the cam being worn won’t affect your compression as the cam lobes open the valves not close them, I’m afraid it’s head off and then diagnose from there, is it the same 1.9 that fits in the 205 309 etc there’s lots of blokes around racing them so you should be able to pick up a recon head, what engine code do you have?

StreetSleeper

Are you going to take the head off ? Their must be some metal in the oil from the worn out cams that could have scratched the bores , hope you get sorted and soon . Bazz
Hello Bazz,
Removed, dismantled and cleaned thoroughly the oil feed bar that runs along the top of the camshaft, there was no blockage in any of the holes and the oil pumped freely out of the cylinder head oilway when we cranked the engine over. As for the bores, I'm waiting for my endoscope to arrive so we can have a look and see what the state of play is.

Rae

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)