How do i adjust the fuel flow on my chinese diesel heater?

Big al

I had a heater fitted two years ago got it serviced and asked him to adjust the fuel flow on it as my mpg dropped from 24 to 16 mpg now the heater takes ages to get to temperature the company that fitted it is no longer trading so can anyone help and tell me how to do it and what to put it at thank you

If it is not getting to temperature then it probably needs a de coke, bit of a fiddley job but can be done, otherwise just bin it and order a new one, they are cheap enough now 👍

To answer the specific question asked, if you have the typical LCD controller, then when you up the temp or the Hz (depending what is selected), then that increases the fuel pump pulse frequency and so delivers more fuel per minute.
Now if doing that will fix the issue you have is a different question.

I am not sure about the connection between the fuel flow of the chinese heater and your vehicle MPG even when sharing the same tank. I can't visualize the fuel use of a diesel heater causing any really noticeable drop of MPG, let alone a drop from 24 to 16 MPG - unless you are using the heater and the vehicle itself never really moves anywhere?

Mpg numbers are irrelevant as they don't cover how long the heating has been on for vs how much you have driven.

The diesel heater control panel controls speed of the diesel pump. More often clicks more fuel that is used. - each click should be 0.022ml for a 5kw (most) heater. So a pulse rate of 2Hz (2 clicks per second) is 2.6ml per min 158ml per hr, and hence uses 1L per 6 hours or so of constant running.

You do not adjust the fuel flow any other way, its directly proportional to the power setting and thats down to your controller. You can tweak that on most in admin settings, but that leads to early coking issues as it adjusts the fuel/air mix. Assume you have not had any thing else done to adjust fuel flow as it makes no sense, and makes no sense an engineer was needed to change it?

Only you know how long its been on for vs how long you've driven. Assuming you drive 100 miles @ 24mpg = 4g=19 L. 100miles @ 16mpg = 28 . So 9L difference. 9L of fuel would run the heater for 54 hrs at 2hz (low) or 24hrs on 5hz (high)

If that about right, well thats about right.

If not, you potentially, you could have a fuel leak somewhere, or it draining somewhere.

As for heater not getting hot, they are basic, and depends how hot you are running it...... fuel + air = burn and heat. May need a decoke (more needed if using engine diesel rather than kerosene) - but you would also get other symptoms like poor starting or smoke exhaust - I'd *expect* it to generate similar heat even if coked - but no experience of that. Assume you've checked all pipes for leaks, and checked/swapped fuel filter (though again, i'd not expect that to be the fix).

I had a heater fitted two years ago got it serviced and asked him to adjust the fuel flow on it as my mpg dropped from 24 to 16 mpg now the heater takes ages to get to temperature the company that fitted it is no longer trading so can anyone help and tell me how to do it and what to put it at thank you

Is this link what you are looking for?
David McLuckie has a lot of videos on YouTube about Chinese heaters.

Diesel heaters are around 80% efficient. A litre of diesel is about 10KWh, so for each litre the heater will give 8KWh at a cost of about £1.75. About 22p per KWh.

If you use a gas heater, they're about 90% efficient. LPG is about 7KWh per litre, so you get about 6.3KWh for 73p. About 11p per KWh

How much burning diesel will affect MPG depends on how far you drive and how much you heat. It could bring it down to 0mpg if you park up for long enough.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back