How long do you stay?

Topmast

When using aires the longest we have ever stayed is three days, but it really annoys me to see people taking advantage.There are a couple of really good spots within reasonable distance we drop into several times a year one has had several vans (I believe German) that have been there for at least six months ,and another site we went to this week has a British reg. van that has been in the same spot for our last three visits.With people taking advantage like this it is not surprising that some off the Portuguese are beginning to complain about motor homes and are tightening parking restrictions.It is a real shame as this is going to make things much more difficult.

Usually 2 nights.
Sometimes 3 !
1 if "travelling" or not niice !
In the past (2016) when we had isuues with MoHo we did use Canterbury P&R quite a lot..But usually left every 2nd day even if we did comeback
The vast overflow area was then OK for MoHos ..I believe now/soon it will be for EVs

On the continent I see no problem with staying longer....Provided there is good spare capacity.
Presumably It would benefit the local community. As we tend to travel a lot so far 3 days has been our maximum

On the continent I see no problem with staying longer....Provided there is good spare capacity.
2 Nites is usually our limit unless signage indicated otherwise but I'd go along with this on a aire that wasn't busy. But on a CCP aire where some can book in advance for as many days as they like I'd not worry about staying longer

Last edited:
We get itchy feet after a few days and like to move on whether it is Aires or Wild camping squats , but I have no problem with folks who stay as long as it suits them its called choices ?

We generally stay only one night, many aires have rules about maximum stay, some don’t and on these people can stay as long as they want or until they are moved on. I suspect if vans are on an aire long term, they are generally allowed to be there or have asked permission for an extended stay.
For us, the whole idea of an aire is that there is somewhere to stay safely overnight and as long as we can park, we aren’t bothered what others are doing.

My feeling with the length of time ypu stay is dependent on the aire.
Some especially in France you wouldn't want to stay more than a couple of days but we have stayed a week in some places in Spain, having said that they were not always aires, more wild camping.
The longest time we have spent anywhere was in Portugal earlier this year but that was under exceptional circumstances and that was three weeks. Ground hog day set in and if we could have moved we certainly would have.
To answer your question my feeling is about a week just because it's nice to explore and have a change of scenery.

I think I prefer the journey to the arriving.

Never stayed more than two nights, with the exception of Stralsund and Rugan Island, where I stayed three in each.

Aside from meets, staying on private land and the very occasional campsite the longest we have ever stayed in one place is 2 nights.
AF - France (1), Germany (1), Portugal (2), Spain (6)
CR - England (21), Ireland (1), Poland (1), Spain (2), Wales (2)
CU - England (4), Germany (1), Ireland (1), Portugal (1), Spain (3)
LU - England (1), Ireland (1)
OR - England (1)
Wild - Spain (1)
The power of a spreadsheet and having even less to do now we are in tier 4!

With aires if they are too many there we either go somewhere else on stay to sleep and then move on the next day.

There have been some where we would have happily put down roots for a while, and these were not crammed which was part of the attraction.

No objection to what others do as long as they abide by the relevant regulations.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back