How many owners?

Deleted member 24

How many owners?

Often during out travels we have meet M/H owners who have either owned boats or have been Truckers.
I just wondered how many of us here have been one or both.
I have been both!

TeamRienza

I have sailed since I was about 12, GP14 owner back in the day, best competitive sailing was on Dragons, one time Olympic keel boat class, sailed various cruisers around Strangford lough and also west coast of Scotland. Currently we own a drascome Lugger. Can be difficult to balance the time for both sailing and motorhoming.

i also had the good fortune to be an outdoor education instructor with LEA for 35 years doing all sorts of activities including sailing, canoeing in various forms, powerboating, including banana etc. Also spent many years as an RYA coach/examiner.

hard to beat a gentle drift in the sailing boat in a gentle breeze with sunshine and picnic.

Davy

Deleted member 24

The Drascome Lugger, that was made in Topsham, Devon I think! I delivered one to France once!
Regarding power boats, I have raced with good success and won a couple of waterski competitions, although only club grade.
Claim to fame, I was in the first ever cross channel water ski race, and told a Royal who was in the adjacent boat where to go! ha ha!

TeamRienza

The first sailing boat that my parents bought for me was made by the Bristol speedboat company. It was a 9 foot long grp dinghy with daggerboard, and 38 sq ft of sail ! It came to Ireland inside a larger Bristol speedboat to a furniture firm in Belfast owned by a guy called Albert Hoy who was into powerboat racing.

i got my call to the sea through reading the Arthur Ransome swallows and amazons books. I wonder how many others were motivated by those books.

Davy

Deleted member 24

TeamRienza;n831 said:
The first sailing boat that my parents bought for me was made by the Bristol speedboat company. It was a 9 foot long grp dinghy with daggerboard, and 38 sq ft of sail ! It came to Ireland inside a larger Bristol speedboat to a furniture firm in Belfast owned by a guy called Albert Hoy who was into powerboat racing.

i got my call to the sea through reading the Arthur Ransome swallows and amazons books. I wonder how many others were motivated by those books.

Davy
To be honest, I have not done too much sailing and never in a dinghy. The only sailing cruiser I owned was Hurley 24/70. It was one of two they made in black with a red line under the gunwale. Ours was called Black Magic, the other was sailed in the round Britain by the Royal Marines. It might have been called Black Velvet!
That was in the mid 70s

Robmac

I test drove a MacGregor 26 once. A hybrid between a Sail boat and a power boat, definitely not for purist sailors!

It was quite a lot of boat for the money, but I stuck to motor boats in the end.

I do admire the Drascombes though, as well as the Cornish Crabbers etc. which were produced by Charlie Ward Boats.

TeamRienza

Each to his own preference, aside from waterskiing and racing, which I did not do, I never felt the pull of the powerboat. I used one as a tool in my job for years. I used to call it my office. The noise carrying over the water could be a bit irritating on a still evening. I have no comment to make on jet skis as I was brought up to the motto, “if you can’t say something good ........”

davy

Deleted member 24

TeamRienza;n839 said:
Each to his own preference, aside from waterskiing and racing, which I did not do, I never felt the pull of the powerboat. I used one as a tool in my job for years. I used to call it my office. The noise carrying over the water could be a bit irritating on a still evening. I have no comment to make on jet skis as I was brought up to the motto, “if you can’t say something good ........”

davy
Yes, I also sold Jet Skis, obviously I needed to demonstrate them, but pretty boring to say the least after a few whizzes around. However saying that, a few years ago we were parked with our M/H within the pit area of the Portuguese Jet Ski Championship (It is another story as to how or why we were permitted to park there and for a few days) However there was a Freestyle Competition and the tricks, going completely under the water and somersaults were pretty fantastic!
Regarding power, class 4 offshore is pretty exciting but after many years of fast power speedboats, all I wanted was a good tournament tug to pull me through the slalom course or tricking without the slightest variation of pulling speed. This does take a special boat, ordinary speedboats are just not good enough!

Robmac

TeamRienza;n831 said:

Davy
I loved Swallows and Amazons.

Funny, but a lot of my favourite films now involve boats. Perfect Storm, African Queen etc.

Asterix

I grew up on yachts but never owned one myself,I do fancy a canal boat in Europe. My old man was a merchant seaman and spent most of his life on the water,he started out on a Thames barge called the Cambria,which was fully restored a few years back thanks to a lottery grant,I went and seen it when I first came to the UK,it was little more than a wreck then,I'd love to go out on her.
I'm a bit put off boating mainly because of the massive costs involved.

Robmac

Asterix;n891 said:
I'm a bit put off boating mainly because of the massive costs involved.
I think an inland marina would be ideal for a full timer.

As I said in a previous post, £100 per month, with showers/toilets, chemical disposal and water/EHU. Pretty much all you would have on a campsite at a fraction of the cost.

Asterix

Robmac;n899 said:
I think an inland marina would be ideal for a full timer.

As I said in a previous post, £100 per month, with showers/toilets, chemical disposal and water/EHU. Pretty much all you would have on a campsite at a fraction of the cost.
It was more the maintenance side of things I was referring to,it seems everything is massively overpriced,even more so than motorhome parts etc,but deffo something I'll look to in the future if we're still allowed in Europe after brexit....oooh am I the first one to say that dirty word on the new forum?

Robmac

Asterix;n904 said:
It was more the maintenance side of things I was referring to,it seems everything is massively overpriced,even more so than motorhome parts etc,but deffo something I'll look to in the future if we're still allowed in Europe after brexit....oooh am I the first one to say that dirty word on the new forum?
I know what you mean.

I do know a couple of people though who have just stuck an old boat in a marina to live on. They never take them out of the marina, don't pay a river license and don't do any maintenance (such as lifting out and antifouling). So £100 per month, no council tax, just insurance to pay. Having said that, I daresay they will put a stop to that before too long!

2cv

I used to have a third share of a narrowboat, but gave it up as it meant too little use for the motorhome. We did cover a fair bit of the system over the years.

image.jpeg

Phillybarbour

Never been a trucker as such, but ran our own transport business for 10 years. Sat at a desk most of the time but really enjoyed just jumping in a truck every now and then when the Transport Manager was saying I need a driver. Staff all thought I was helping out at all levels but really I just loved it.

Campervanannie

I was a wagon driver ?for a lot of years delivering to the Edinburgh Crystal factory and delivering to a lot of the Stafordshire potteries.
And my dad owned a barge moored on the Leeds and Liverpool canal?

Last edited:

Froodie

We were sailors but we sold up and bought the land yacht, after another holiday spent in a marina waiting for decent weather. I loved the boat but British weather isn't really ideal when you start feeling the cold.

trevskoda

Still have my boats,one being a norman mk 2 23 ft which i had at enniskillen for years,prices went up and i tuged here home,will be selling sometime soon.
I will keep my small day fishing boats for the kids when they get up a bit.

Deleted member 24

What is the Norman 23 mk 2. I used to sell them but obviously the Mk 2 came out after I finished
The original N23 was a replacement for the N22

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)