How much gas used when on electric for heating?

Clunegapyears

How much gas used when on electric for heating?

Not an issue as LPG is a £0.50/ltr where we are, but wondered how much gas is used when we are on electric hook up to run the heating. We have Alde wet, if it makes a difference.

If you're on EHU and using electricity for heating and hot water, then you will use very little at all. A 6kg bottle used to last us for weeks when only using it for cooking.

Taken from the Alde 3010 service manual. The gas burner is two stage 3Kw or 5.5Kw. If using EHU, that is priority ie used first

Gas: Propane Butane
Output step 1: 3,3 kW 3.8 kW
Consumption: 245 g/h 275 g/h
Output step 2: 5,5 kW 6,4 kW
Consumption: 405 g/h 460 g/h

While up in Scotland I was using my gas on hookup as I didn't have an electric heater at the end of the week I had used £9 for heating cooking and hot water and it was cold Phil gave me a very nice kampavelectric heater for my van when on hookup so hopefully will use less next time.

Thanks, I am used to how much gas we use on heating, cooking etc, but my question relates to on EHU .... if it is very cold, it gas used to ‘fire’ it up before switching to electricity?

Clunegapyears;n672 said:
Not an issue as LPG is a £0.50/ltr where we are, but wondered how much gas is used when we are on electric hook up to run the heating. We have Alde wet, if it makes a difference.

With the Alde system you can select either gas or electricity or both to heat the water and run the heating

So if your on hook up & you select electric only no gas will be used for water or heating if you select both then the system will heat up faster but you will be consuming both gas and electricity at same time

you can also have both gas and electric switched Off But the heating system switched on and using engine heat via a heat exchanger if fitted so it circulates the water around the radiators so rear nice and warm when driving and water tank also hot so free hot water

I was about to say something similar but you put it much better Trek.
even in very cold winter (-20) using gas heating all the time ( alde 3020) we can go more than a week with our LPG bottles.

we will be using the heat exchanger intentionally for the first time when we set off tomorrow.
we discovered it in the summer, in 40 degree heat. Either myself or a woofer had managed to slide the ( previously unknown ) switches accross so the heat was blasting out. It was not a pleasant night !!!!

Trek;n11481 said:
With the Alde system you can select either gas or electricity or both to heat the water and run the heating

So if your on hook up & you select electric only no gas will be used for water or heating if you select both then the system will heat up faster but you will be consuming both gas and electricity at same time

you can also have both gas and electric switched Off But the heating system switched on and using engine heat via a heat exchanger if fitted so it circulates the water around the radiators so rear nice and warm when driving and water tank also hot so free hot water

You can also arrive at your destination with a tank of hot water, provided you have the appropriate Alde kit fitted.

We found a gas bottle lasted about a month cooking in Spain this year.

Thank you for your responses. Just checked on the controls and I have electric prioritied. I guess if I switch off our gas tanks, I will know if they are needed in cold weather to fire up the system, as they were in our last van.

Yes, we have a heat exchanger and it is a great bit of kit, when chilly.

Another advantage of having Alde with the heat exchanger plumbed into the engine coolant system is you can if you have a 12volt pump on the engine side Pre heat the engine from the motorhome Alde system

MB Sprinters sometimes have these pumps fitted as standard and are primarily used when you stop to continue heating cab from residual heat in engine block

Handy to warm the engine before you start it especially when its really cold , you don't have to wait for glow plugs to warm , engine much easier to turn over and start

Weather dependant. I can use a 11kg bottle in 2 1/2 days when on EHU while skiing and it’s -20 at night. The electric element of the ALDE heating does very little at those temps.

Both my last two vans had ALDE.

Last edited:
So everyone is aware

Alde boilers have two electric heater elements a 1kw and a 2kw And these can be selected via the control panel

so they can both be off
or
1kw on 2kw off Total = 1kw
or
1kw off 2kw on Total = 2kw
or
1kw on 2kw on Total = 3kw

last weekend mine kept us very toasty on the 3kw setting with no gas used gas = off

(plenty of snow but not the -10 to -25 at altitude on a ski resort )

Last edited:
Never actually been on a hook up while skiing in French Alps so wouldn’t know from experience about the capability of electric only heating

for a 11day door to door trip to skiing resort with a non skiing wife so heating also on during day i need three 11kg gaslow bottles

Only ever used gas heating and had noticed the boiler occasionally popping banging , i have since obtained from Alde a valve that fits on the gas feed to the boiler that reduces the volume or pressure of gas through it when using it at altitude

last winter i used it for the first time and it did reduce maybe even eliminate this boiler noise

Last edited:
Alde High Altitude Valve
The Alde high altitude valve can be engaged manually when you are at altitudes above 1,000 metres. The high-altitude valve reduces the pressure in the burner to adapt it to the lower air pressure.
Part no. 4115 101

the latest Alde 3020 boiler has a high altitude setting built in and controlled via control panel

Trek;n12260 said:
Alde High Altitude Valve
The Alde high altitude valve can be engaged manually when you are at altitudes above 1,000 metres. The high-altitude valve reduces the pressure in the burner to adapt it to the lower air pressure.
Part no. 4115 101

the latest Alde 3020 boiler has a high altitude setting built in and controlled via control panel

Now that is impressive.:Ok_Hand_Sign_Emoji:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back