How much wind is ok?

Beatrix

We're hoping to set off from Glasgow on Tuesday night, but strong winds are forecast. With an Autotrail 640, over cab bulge etc, but quite carefully packed to keep the weight low, what's the maximum wind strength I should drive down the M74 in?

It's more than just wind speed, it's direction and whether it's gusting. One of the reasons so many trees come down was that the wind came from an "unusual" direction - the North, when the prevailing wind is from the SW. At Beattock Summit, just south of Abington the M74 rises to over 1000 feet. Could be a little draughty.

If you can't travel on Monday, or Wednesday, I would keep checking the TravelScotland website for live updates, (https://trafficscotland.org) the Met Office etc to see how bad or otherwise the conditions turn out to be. By Tuesday they should have a better idea of timing and severity.

Given the forecast for Tuesday, avoiding travelling on the West side of Scotland would be a good idea, especially in a high-sided vehicle like a MH.

It's more than just wind speed, it's direction and whether it's gusting. One of the reasons so many trees come down was that the wind came from an "unusual" direction - the North, when the prevailing wind is from the SW. At Beattock Summit, just south of Abington the M74 rises to over 1000 feet. Could be a little draughty.

If you can't travel on Monday, or Wednesday, I would keep checking the TravelScotland website for live updates, (https://trafficscotland.org) the Met Office etc to see how bad or otherwise the conditions turn out to be. By Tuesday they should have a better idea of timing and severity.
Thanks! Yeah, I remember now how useful the travel Scotland site is...think we might stop short of Beattock. We're hoping to drive to Dorset on Weds but have a hospital appt late Tues afternoon, so just want to get out of Glasgow and started on our way.

I think we'll stop at Cairn Lodge or in Abington village as they've both got good recent reports in Park4Night and are down in a dip so slightly sheltered.

It now looks like the strong winds will be further South, snow being a bigger problem in the Central Belt.

It now looks like the strong winds will be further South, snow being a bigger problem in the Central Belt.
Aye, we were gonna drive from home near Fort William down to Glasgow this afternoon but by the time we had finished packing etc it was 7pm and way too late to drive through Glencoe in snow And wind, And dark! Hopefully we can still get to Glasgow tomorrow by midday...

Reactions: 2cv

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back