How to connect inverter to 240v system?

Thanks for your info it was really good advice. In my own defense I have a large red light next to the socket which glows when the inverter is switched on and both ends of the suicide lead are unpluged when the light is off, as I am the only one to opperate the electrics, I only have myself to blame should I mess up.
Thanks again.

Phil.
No problem. Those leads really are to be avoided whenever possible.
I used one around 20 years ago when rewiring my house and was at the stage of moving from old consumer unit and sockets to new CU and sockets - Used a plug to plug lead to 'activate' the new sockets for just the one day before moving the meter tails over and it made me damn nervous in case anyone touched that plug o_O o_O

Its OK saying you only have your self to blame but funerals are the same price no matter who is to blame ! A simple on off on switch rated above the higher of hook up or inverter potential current( 15amp) is only a couple of quid !

H
Hi. If you have the Waeco Easycool aircon, then the inverter supplied with this has auto transfer from mains to battery. If mains is present, it passes it through to the aircon unit, if not, it uses the 12v battery connection. Only really intended for use when driving as it kills the leisure battery, and doesn't really do the alternator much good either.

Looks like this https://images.app.goo.gl/BEuwj1LqG8jjBKzf7

Mine had this system, but I have now removed the aircon unit as we never used it (replaced with mini heki) and connected the inverter to the existing mains sockets via a separate breaker. Also needed to fit a separate on off switch as this was previously controlled by the aircon unit.

Now all the sockets are powered from the inverter (when switched on) while off grid and automatically switched to mains when on hook up.

Sure someone will point out the technical error of my ways somewhere, but this set up has now working fine for five years with nothing exploding or catching fire :)

Hope that helps.
Hi
I am hoping

clarkpeacock​

Sees this as I too need to wire up an easy cool without air con unit and wondered if he remembered which of the 4 inputs from the air con is what.
Thanks

I’m a complete numpty on things electric but can someone please explain how a single socket supplied by an inverter should be earthed?
Thanks
If the single socket is only used for phone chargers etc. That is to say if the appliance itself has no earth (i.e. has live and neutral wiring only at plug) then there is no benefit of earthing a socket from an invertor.(assuming not connected to any existing wiring). Experts please correct me.

H

Hi
I am hoping

clarkpeacock​

Sees this as I too need to wire up an easy cool without air con unit and wondered if he remembered which of the 4 inputs from the air con is what.
Thanks
Sorry, only just seen this! Unfortunately I sold the van last year and really can't remember how it was wired.

I think there was a small 2 wire cable coming from the Aircon unit I removed from the roof running to the multi pin plug on the inverter, and I simply fitted a light switch across this to turn the inverter on and off.

The manual is here if you can work it out :)

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited:
I use a "Changeover switch" as in wildebus's #36 post. Cheap and simple and safe if the exposed busbar are covered.

Question: As an inverters earth is different to our domestic earth do safety breakers work as expected?

Question: Where is the earth in your inverters 13amp socket connected to internally (inside the inverter)?

I have a Victron Phoenix inverter and know the options for the internal earth connection.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back