How to cool fridge without electric.

Sandy Toes

Hi people. Complete newbie here. Basically my home area has been shut off for 4 weeks so I can’t move my van from the storage to outside my house. It says in the instructions that I need to chill the fridge for 24h before I set off. I don’t want to break my van or fridge by not following the instructions. Has anyone got a way round this?
Cheers

It's only so you aren't putting chilled food into a warm fridge. Use freezer packs then your fridge will be a 12v cool box until you get to your site and can plug in or use gas.

Hi people. Complete newbie here. Basically my home area has been shut off for 4 weeks so I can’t move my van from the storage to outside my house. It says in the instructions that I need to chill the fridge for 24h before I set off. I don’t want to break my van or fridge by not following the instructions. Has anyone got a way round this?
Cheers
You won't break the van or the fridge by not cooling it in advance.
A three way fridge needs many hours to cool down.
We generally try to give ours 36 hours, but 24 will do at a pinch.
Simply switch it on to use gas.
If you don't pre-cool the fridge, the food will go into a fridge that's at room temperature.
The food won't stay fresh. The fridge will take even longer to get cold. But nothing will be damaged (except your digestion).

Last edited:
Your fridge will also run [or should ] when you are driving on 12 volt to help it stay cool, this only happens [or should ] with the engine running.

freeze a couple of big bottles of water instead of freeze packs as you always need drinking water anyway :)
Good idea, but be sure to tip the water out and refill from the cold tap at home first. Bottled water has BPA endocrine disrupters that leach out of the plastic in storage.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back