Humming from Cab Roof above 45mph.

paulhelenwilko

Hello all, I hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

We have a Hymer T674CL of 2013 vintage. A loud humming noise has started to come from the roof of the cab from as low as about 45mph. At speeds of 65mph plus it is unbearable.

At first we thought it was the cab rooflight. Now I believe it to be the grey plastic trim panel with the Hymer logo (see photo).

Hymer cab roof.jpg

By opening the rooflight and standing on the cab seats I can get to the rear (upper) edge of the trim panel and I find there is some flex in it.
Working around both sides of the rooflight I have managed to reach some of the panel to tape down the
trailing edge, however there is not enough reach to do all the trailing edge. (I cannot reach the centre section
ie above the Hymer logo)

I then went for a test run and the humming doesn't start now till a slightly higher speed and the tone of
the hum has changed. I believe this to confirm my theory.

Anyone else come across this problem, anyone got any suggestions ?

Regards Paul

Not had that Paul get some masking tape and tape round the whole area then try and see if it stops then that’s your answer
We’re safe n well sweating it in Hereford just now

Last edited:
As it has only recently started, something must have moved or come loose to start the noise. It looks like there are black circles/ blanking points in each corner, are these the fixing points and if so can you access them or see if they are loose or damaged?

Definately something to get checked out. The air pressure behind a trim fitting can easily be enough to rip it off (I had that with a badly refitted door trim after a break-in repair - suddenly just flew off on a dual carriageway. could have been lethal if it hit someone!)

a van i'd coverted madea noise just like a damaged diff over 40 mph . i stood in the back while my son drove and found it coming from the rooflight .turning it 180 degrees stopped it .pushing your hand or a rubber mallet against various surfaces while moving can give you clues

We had a whistle from our front over cab window ..as many of the Bailey vans .
There was no fix recommended from agents.
So i brought a mini bonnet seal fitted round edge of opening light .perfic no whistle

Paul when you blow the photo up it looks like right hand edge has a trim or a rubber between glass and roof but the left hand side has a gap or missing rubber between glass and roof. I might be seeing a shadow.9E2621E5-BD9B-4C7C-9E87-5CD9203AA97D.jpeg

My van plays a tune when parked if the wind is in a certain direction sounds a bit like a flute being badly played turns out it’s it’s the metal roof rack tubes the end cap has come off and so it plays music on windy days.

Could it be the panel vibrating in sympathy with something else on the MH? Resonances and all that.
I once had insane roof wobble in a work van which I discovered was radial run out. Double check your tyres for lumps too. :cool:

Talking of noises, have you heard the racket a roof rack makes on a car when left on and empty. I cannot understand how owners leave them on and the effect on the fuel consumption it has.

Allow the good lady to sit in the cab, that usually stops the humming! Try 65 there will be screaming!! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

You sure it's not where you put your secret stash of beer, the cans could be spinning round and round which might cause the humming 😜

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back