Hymer Habitation lock stiff

paulhelenwilko

Hymer Habitation lock stiff

The handle of the habitation door has gone very stiff. Tried the obvious lubrication etc. I am going to attempt to dismantle tommorrow.

Anyone already done this ? I guess there is a screw under the blanks on the silver internal handle and there is one in the internal door release.

Attachments

• photo1497.jpg
    photo1497.jpg
    917.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1498.jpg
    photo1498.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo1499.jpg
    photo1499.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Hi

You say you have tried the "obvious lubrication". Was that just WD40?

Not a MH door, but recent trouble with a door at home was solved with a PTFE spray lubricant, without dismantling the lock and linkage.

Kind regards

p-c.

I put powdered graphite lock stuff as recommended on WC on mine and it freed it all up done all the handles and locks at home worked a treat you only need a tiny amount

WD40 is about the worst thing to put in there, powdered graphite is good so long as it can't get wet, a graphited grease is probably best.

Not tried PTFE lubricant yet, but intend to get some if I ever see any, as it sounds to be a good idea, very slippery stuff.

Pudsey Bear;n17201 said:
WD40 is about the worst thing to put in there, powdered graphite is good so long as it can't get wet, a graphited grease is probably best.

Not tried to disagreeing with you but interested to know why WD40 is about the worst thing?

Oil will help short term, but what is needed is grease, anything else will drip out.

Kev

Pudsey Bear;Not tried PTFE lubricant yet said:
Becoming more widely available. Including one under the WD40 label. Depends where you shop, Toolstation perhaps Screwfix , car accessory shops and others.

Perhaps we should not generalise WD40 now but I do agree the "normal" WD40 can have limitations as well as benefits.

Regards

p-c

Another vote for GT85 here. I buy it when Aldi are doing it at £1.99 a tin.

Cheers

H

Pudsey Bear;n17262 said:
Simply because it isn't a lubricant Ian, not in the strict sense, it is a penetrating oil and water dispersant mainly, it does short term lubrication, but dries out as it ages.

Read this :-

https://www.reddit.com/r/YouShouldK..._wd40_is_a_solvent_not_a_lubricant_mistaking/

That statement is wrong WD40 is a lubricant as well as performing other tasks. https://www.wd40.com/products It might not be the most suitable lubricant for a job but that does not mean it isn't a lubricant. One of the main ingredients is mineral oil. How do I know. I worked as a services engineer for the company that makes WD40 in this country for 13 years.

I

I used a white water proof grease spray when my Hymer door locks got stiff, took theinternal panels off and sprayed all the locks and linkages, had no problem since.

Graham

The best stuff I have used for lock internals lubrication is copper grease. Very long lasting lubricant, use sparingly and keep it to internal parts only.

If there are nylon based bushes or components the using a mineral based lubricant is not recommended it can cause components to swell and worsen any stiffness. A silicone based lubricant is best.

Thankyou for all the replies folks. The issue is not with the key part of the lock, but the external handle that you pull to open the door. The internal pull handle that does the same job is fine. The external handle whilst it just about moves the latch enough for the door to open is very stiff and only moves slightly, whilst the internal handle has full movement.

I have taken off the internal trim (first had to remove the Abus deadlock) and had a look, and greased everything that looks like it should move. The problem is not obvious and I do not want to strip down any further so I may leave till next service.

Paul

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back