In Praise of your dealer

QFour

In Praise of your dealer

We bought our Laika at Southdown Motorhomes, Portsmouth. This is our third motorhome and our third dealer. They have been excellent in every way and I thoroughly recommend them. Third time lucky. Anyone else have a dealer they can recommend?

Reactions: 2cv
I purchased my first MH from Brownhills this year. I've heard the horror stories but so far I've been impressed with both the sales and post sales service.

Dealt with Emm Bee on both my previous Burstners, excellent in all departments. Current van from SMC, it’s early days and they are not as quick or sharp on resolving things, but they do seem to get there in the end. Both family businesses where the owners make themselves known and do seem to want to do the right thing.

bought mine through Bundesvan bob and sue are willing to go the extra mile they say they treat the customer as they would like to be treated , they do both import and resale but only german vans very pleased with my dealings with them,

Has anyone had dealings with JC leisure or TC motorhomes, both near to us when in Kent?

Are John Cross and JC leisure part of the same group? Did not realise that. Had contact with John Cross when having a vent fitted, really helpful.

Rec;n6232 said:
Are John Cross and JC leisure part of the same group? Did not realise that. Had contact with John Cross when having a vent fitted, really helpful.

Have ordered parts through them and their parts guy I think it is Nigel is really knowledgeable unlike most other dealers.
spot on

For American rv's you can't beat Empire they are a family firm and nothing is too much trouble.
For lpg conversions Anglo American in Newport,Steve really knows his stuff .

*****;n6239 said:
I just assumed they were, maybe you have a point!

Just done a little research and to be honest, I am not sure.
From what I have read, it was bit may have gone it's separate way!
So sorry, I don't know and my earlier assumption may have been misleading!

Lol I had decided they were after poking around in the small print! Don't suppose it matters really, just would like them to be as John's cross so helpful!

I speak as I find and others may have a better experience but...
Tynedale Motorhomes
I took my van there telling them the Truma heater wasnt igniting, went through full startup routine but did not ignite so I suspected either the PCB or the igniter and asked them to diagnose.
as requested I booked her in for an hour.
after two hours they told me it was either the PCB or the igniter :Very_Angry_Emoji:
They recommended replacing the PCB ( around £350) but if it was not that it would be the igniter as £75 plus two hours labour at £60/hr !!! ( and no they would not refund me for the PCB) so potential bill of around £550 !
I told them I felt like they had borrowed my watch to tell me the time! Then left, paying them just £30.

I called Truma, they told me to send them the PCB which they tested and OK'd and returned. I bought an igniter for £58 and fitted it myself in less than one hour

So, a bad experience which I am happy to share. Caveat Emptor!

K :Very_sad_emoji_icon

Vanterrier;n7051 said:
I speak as I find and others may have a better experience but...
Tynedale Motorhomes
I took my van there telling them the Truma heater wasnt igniting, went through full startup routine but did not ignite so I suspected either the PCB or the igniter and asked them to diagnose.
as requested I booked her in for an hour.
after two hours they told me it was either the PCB or the igniter :Very_Angry_Emoji:
They recommended replacing the PCB ( around £350) but if it was not that it would be the igniter as £75 plus two hours labour at £60/hr !!! ( and no they would not refund me for the PCB) so potential bill of around £550 !
I told them I felt like they had borrowed my watch to tell me the time! Then left, paying them just £30.

I called Truma, they told me to send them the PCB which they tested and OK'd and returned. I bought an igniter for £58 and fitted it myself in less than one hour

So, a bad experience which I am happy to share. Caveat Emptor!

K :Very_sad_emoji_icon

I am afraid most people don't realise that most dealers do not have gas experts and as you have found you are much better going to the manufacturers than a dealer.
Truma will bench test heaters etc I have heard and think you can actually go to them direct for repairs in your van ?

Most modern heaters and boilers need an electronics expert for anything that is not simple , we had a brand new boiler that should have run at 35kw but when we tested it I could only get 20 Kw output from it ?
The lad I work with even double checked my gas ratings as we have never had problems with them before and neither had the manufacturers engineers .
4 visits from the manufacturers engineers changing all sorts of parts , last guy had technical in Germany getting him to run tests , it had the wrong chip in the pcb !

Last edited by a moderator:
Made me wonder what the "Authorised Truma Dealer" award was for?
K :Thinking_Face_Emoji

Vanterrier;n7080 said:
Made me wonder what the "Authorised Truma Dealer" award was for?
K :Thinking_Face_Emoji

Selling their products!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back