Insurance - travel and ski

fatwelshbuddha;n14982 said:
we had season passes last year and in total used about 50 days of skiing in 2 trips but I didn't think to wonder whether I was covered on my 30 day max policy. tbh - I'd query that with an insurer as I can't see how they can assume that you're not covered on a season pass if you stay inside trip limits - and how they hell they check anyway what pass you have!!

Sorry, I meant if you were outside trip limits, that they could use the info on the pass to negate the claim? I don't know whether they would or could - learning as I go, really.

Ref, going off somewhere else in between skiing I'd need to go back and check small print as I suspect to count as a "trip" it has to start and finish in the UK.

As it happens, last year we just assumed we had everything in order and it was only when I was checking through the renewal of the "Annual multitrip with winter sports" cover we had that I realised we'd only been covered for 31 days skiing in the entire year - ooops!!

Sorry, I meant if you were outside trip limits, that they could use the info on the pass to negate the claim? I don't know whether they would or could - learning as I go, really.

Ref, going off somewhere else in between skiing I'd need to go back and check small print as I suspect to count as a "trip" it has to start and finish in the UK.

you need to talk to an insurer and get their view on those.

have you checked this site?? https://www.erv.co.uk/travel-insurance/winter-sports/. they provide winter cover to people working in ski resorts plus general ski insurance (they have a deal with Natives.co.uk who find winter jobs for people) so could offer something. I had a quick quote check and they will cover up to 62 days on a standard cover policy for those not working in ski resorts.

I contacted MPI and they confirmed their max winter sports is 62 days on annual multi - they suggested one of their long-stay policies would be suitable but I haven't had chance to crunch it through yet.

be interested to hear what you find. we have a 2 month trip planned to Oz next Autumn so need to look at insurance to cover that

You should be fine - it seems to be the jump beyond 60/62 days - we don't need as much as 90 days, I'd settle for 75. If we weren't skiing it wouldn't be an issue...

My conclusion is I can get what we need but only by having two policies - no big deal, but for tidiness I'd prefer my travel insurance to meet my needs in one package,

As it stands we'll need ski cover for Jan - Apr, then we fancy opening season skiing (Nov?) which will require another "winter cover" policy and then a annual multi policy to cover the rest of the stuff.
Actually, thinking out loud, if I add winter cover (short term - 31 days?) to the annual that would cover the Nov/Early Dec 2018 trip...

Hmmm.... things to ponder..... many thanks for being a sounding board and exploring options :)

We have an annual policy with multiple 60 day trips (Europe) and up to 45 days skiing, good value at about £170 for us (in our late 50s). That's not good enough for you but may be of interest to others: Harrison Beaumont Insurance, Premier Plus policy, also covers off piste without a guide.

ps I also joined the Austrian Alpine Club ( https://aacuk.org.uk/ ) which gives worldwide mountain search/rescue and recovery as a backup for £51.25 (£39.50 if over 65).

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back