Interior electrical issues.

1977paul

Until recently my habitation step used to retract on engine start up and and all power to lights etc in living area would be cut, I assume this was correct as a means of not driving with an unwanted light on etc.
At present the step no longer retracts on start up and the lights etc remain on.....all obvious things have been checked, fuses relays....but all seem ok.
Anyone got ideas as to what's going on?
I've already damaged the step by driving with it down!
Peugeot Boxer Autocruise Starblazer, 2003.
Oh and 12v fridge operation seems dodgy but step/lights issue been happening long before fridge.
Thanks all.

Thought I had replied to this, (or is it posted on WC as well?) it sounds to me like you have a problem on the D+ feed. This energises when engine runs/ignition on. My Sprinter has a couple of different fuses for d+ feeds but could be bad connection or damaged wire.

When I had this on our Boxer (2004)it was one of the fuses in the fuse box under the bonnet (sort of central just under the scuttle panel) next to the split charge.
2 small nuts to undo to remove the lid....

I caused it by opening the step against a grass verge....

Popped the fuse preventing the step retracting AND stopped habitation electrics NOT working ignition was on.

When I had this on our Boxer (2004)it was one of the fuses in the fuse box under the bonnet (sort of central just under the scuttle panel) next to the split charge.
2 small nuts to undo to remove the lid....

I caused it by opening the step against a grass verge....

Popped the fuse preventing the step retracting AND stopped habitation electrics NOT working ignition was on.
Thanks both, yes Nabsim you did reply on Wildcamping site.
I've checked fuses as mriceman suggests.....I'll be checking again today!

I think the Autocruise of your generation uses the same basic wiring setup as the Swifts and Autotrails of the same age? If that is the case, this diagram from the Swift Sundance might be of some help? (some of the brand specific stuff may be missing/different but the basics should be the same)
The Wiring to the step and fridge can be seen from Top Left and the relays and fuses for those are located at that time under the bonnet.
Wiring-Diagram-Swift-Suntor_Sundance-2002-scaled.jpg

PS. The White/Orange cables, if you have them, are the -ve cables.

Loose earth wire under bonnet reattached and lights now go out on start up, can't test step at moment as awaiting new drive shaft. As for fridge, had a week away with no issues until return leg and once home found items in freezer box started thawing....lights and step were problems prior to fridge so wiring diagram from Wildebus will be useful.

On the later systems, the Step, Fridge and Split Charge control was put into a box Sargent called the EM50 - basically a expensive fuse and relay box from what I can gather?

My step is playing up but sadly not a fuse or relay but more mechanical. I'd be interested in your step repair and fitting the new shaft as I think I have to strip mine down in the same area :(

My step issue def broken drive shaft, in two bits at moment and motor still whirring away on switch. Seems drive shaft is weak point, snapped mine after forgetting to retract step and hitting grass bank in Cornwall.
YouTube shows this as being a very easy repair.
Will hopefully post success story at end of the week once part arrives!

Despite having a "quality" IH campervan, when my step stopped retracting I found the supply that was taken from the fuse box under the dash was a bit of twisted wire stuffed not very securely into the fuse connection.
I added a correct cable connection and plugged it in and my problem was solved.
Could have been a previous owner budge but I think it was original IH ??? Who knows, but worth checking.
K ;)

Step drive shaft replaced and thanks to finding a loose earth wire alongside the vehicle battery, the step once again retracts on engine start up and any habitation lights left on now go out!
Turned out to be a cheap and easy fix, fingers crossed the fridge issue is similarly easy to sort out.

Step drive shaft replaced and thanks to finding a loose earth wire alongside the vehicle battery, the step once again retracts on engine start up and any habitation lights left on now go out!
Turned out to be a cheap and easy fix, fingers crossed the fridge issue is similarly easy to sort out.
Any tips when working on it?

Mine goes in and out on the switch if I give it a helping hand so nothing is "broken", but something must be straining (I don't tend to use it at the moment to avoid whatever it is giving out before I get a change to investigate)

Any tips when working on it?

Mine goes in and out on the switch if I give it a helping hand so nothing is "broken", but something must be straining (I don't tend to use it at the moment to avoid whatever it is giving out before I get a change to investigate)
Check the pivot points.... They get covered in road crap and begin to seize

Check the pivot points.... They get covered in road crap and begin to seize
I had a brief look at the outside area and everything looked remarkably clean. Not taken any covers off yet though to look (trying to wait for a time which is both not too cold and not raining - tricky in Scotland!).

Look for gritty scrapes on the sliders or high points if it's been dinged. Its tempting to put grease on the sliders but that just traps grit and makes a sludge, better just have them as dry and clean as possible. I made a splash guard mounted in front of the step to protect from grit thrown up by the front wheel as much as possible.
Good luck
K ;)

Mine was simply a snapped drive shaft, no stiffness problems with operation of step. You may find dirt has built up inside motor cover and impeding the motor/cogs but mine was very clean inside so can only speculate re step needing helping hand afraid.
Lots of YouTube videos about step issues, worth a look perhaps? Good luck Wildebus.

Mine was simply a snapped drive shaft, no stiffness problems with operation of step. You may find dirt has built up inside motor cover and impeding the motor/cogs but mine was very clean inside so can only speculate re step needing helping hand afraid.
Lots of YouTube videos about step issues, worth a look perhaps? Good luck Wildebus.
I'll probably take some photos, take it methodically and not rush the job :) want to make sure not left immobile (step hanging down) for any length of time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back