Internal Width - Caravan and Motorhome

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildebus

I know different caravans and different motorhomes vary, but my general question is:

1) What width internally is your Motorhome (say the make/model and if it is PVC or a custom shell please)?
2) What width is/was your caravan if you have/had one?
3) Changing between the two, did you notice the difference much?

1) 2.05m Bentley Ochre. Custom shell
2) Never had a caravan
3) Definitely more comfortable than the preceding tent!

We have a Bailey Autograph 79-6. It's 2.49m wide, probably the widest of the standard coachbuilds. Had the occasional "breath-in" moment when the inbuilt Peugeot sat nav sent us along single track lanes!! Need to get a truck sat nav.
We used to have a small caravan in the 90's, I think it was an Esprit Caprice and have done some tent camping.
The motorhome is so much easier.

Hi Fiat Ducato 1920mm fixed bed across the van, (standard mattress), but into recess, otherwise 1860mm (mid height). Caravan to long ago to remember.

We have a narrow light weight Hymer Exsis and yes we know the internal width difference and we work around it.
We previously had a full width all singing, dancing top of the range A Class with lots of internal room, and before that we had another narrow Exsis
The only downside is that we have to breath in if passing each other in the galley area.
Apart from that, for us there are no disadvantages with a narrow van and more plus sides when driving down narrow lanes, or when some idiot, approaches from a bend head on and partly on our side of the road.
Mrs G is quite petit and I am not too much over weight, if we were lets say on the large side, maybe we would think different
Your reply implies I was making a comment on the narrowness of a motorhome? Not my question at all. Thanks for the reply anyway even if it didn't actually answer the question in any way ;)

We have a Bailey Autograph 79-6. It's 2.49m wide, probably the widest of the standard coachbuilds. Had the occasional "breath-in" moment when the inbuilt Peugeot sat nav sent us along single track lanes!! Need to get a truck sat nav.
We used to have a small caravan in the 90's, I think it was an Esprit Caprice and have done some tent camping.
The motorhome is so much easier.
Forgot to say, the interior width of the Bailey is about 2.2m

having fitted out and lived in a few vans lorries buses and caravans , i know a few inches can make a big difference- like being able to sleep across the van or not , or being able to get past someone in the galley. moving from a panel van to a luton ,caravan or box van ,the sense of roominess is immediately apparent.

Well, I thought it was a proper reply, explaining the difference that we found.
Never mind though, at least I tried :(
Maybe you should read your own question 3 again.
Changing between the two! Did you notice any differences!
Your question did NOT specify if you meant between caravan to M/H or between wide to narrow.
As you are been a little pedantic, if you wanted a precise answer, maybe your question should have been more precise
You started your reply with "We have a narrow light weight Hymer Exsis and yes we know the internal width difference and we work around it. " (my underlining) so ignoring question #1 and #2 and jumping into the last (so least relevant as listed last) with some kind of defence of your choice of a Hymer Exsis? (A very nice motorhome I understand?). Who's asking you to justify?

Now you say "maybe your question should have been more precise"?
This was my question #1 and #2....
1) What width internally is your Motorhome (say the make/model and if it is PVC or a custom shell please)?
2) What width is/was your caravan if you have/had one?

If you wanted more precision, did you need me to state if I wanted the measurements in inches or centimetres maybe?

Thanks anyway.

So strange how you have only picked up my reply as not been appilcable,
I answered and I note others who you have thanked have also not answered all three questions
I WAS replying to you and trying to be helpful.
Nevermind, I was going to open my van and measure the inside width, but by your attitude, I certainly won't bother now
Have a nice day
Fair enough.
To clarify ... my question was asking about the INTERNAL width of the vehicles, and I never mentioned external sizes ever, so that would suggest (at least in my head) that I was asking about the internal living area, and not what it is like to navigate down narrow road or parking or mirror arm size or any of those kind of things.
Yes, those factors are important and are relevant to a question like "how do you find driving your Motorhome down narrow lanes compared to towing your caravan if you had one". But I did not ask that question in any way or form.

You also say "your question did NOT specify if you meant between caravan to M/H or between wide to narrow. "
Q1. About Motorhomes.
Q2. About Caravans.
Q3. About changing between the two.

So Q3 is implicitly about changing between MH and Caravan, surely?

Q3 could be read as I did, changing from a wide van to a narrow van.
As I said You only picked on my post, others did not answer all three questions
As I said, YOU are so PEDANTIC and so ungrateful for an ON TOPIC reply to YOUR thread
Well, I read your reply and "verbally" thanked you for it (but you probably didn't notice that?), but I didn't "like" the reply as it did not answer any of the questions and was, IMO, not really on topic.

1) What are the internal measurements of MH? non given
2) What are the internal measurements of Caravan? non given
3) Found difference between the two (MH and Caravan)? non given except a comment about the driving experience between different motorhomes.

The other replies all answered the questions at least partially (most have not had a caravan (I find that surprising and interesting but that is another discussion again) so impossible to them answer Q2 and Q3 for that reason) and that is why I "liked" those questions.
I have gone back and "thanked you" for the reply with the button to formally acknowlege it, but no, I still don't "like" your reply as it didn't answer the questions (again IMO).
I guess that yes, I AM being pedantic in that repect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back