International Driving Permit needed?

RoaminRog

Popping over to France next week, can anybody tell me if I need an IDP please, or is that for after Brexit?

As far as I'm aware we are still part of the EU and contrary to all the talk nothing had changed.
So I feel you'll be fine with your British licence and relevant papers to the Motorhome .
Have a good trip.
Bon voyage

Provided that the timing is not brought forward (and there's no indication that that is likely), no IDP required provided that you're back in the UK by 31 October 2019.

Will be in France/Spain after 31st October. As a precaution I got the IDLs for both countries. For the price is would be wise to obtain.

Thanks everybody, we are only going for three weeks this time so I feel nothing will happen (Brexit wise) until we get back.

We have both types just in case things move fwd, but not needed until after B

It's not as clear cut as just having 2 Graham, it depends on where you plan on driving. More here...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit-international-driving-permits

Graham
smile.gif

Thanks everybody, we are only going for three weeks this time so I feel nothing will happen (Brexit wise) until we get back.
I’m sure boris etc will wait for you to get back before they lift the big drawbridge the leavers wanted ??
Have a great time, hope the trailer and car go well

I’m sure boris etc will wait for you to get back before they lift the big drawbridge the leavers wanted ??
Have a great time, hope the trailer and car go well
Thanks you two! Everything signed sealed and ready to go,
Hope you’ve had a good birthday Andy, it must be nice to still be in your thirties? Enjoy the rest of the evening!
Love to you both from this end.

We visit Germany quite often, and technically you are correct, not needed at the moment, what if you get pulled over by some dipsh1t copper in the back woods, I got mine IDP68 just in case, your on your own ?

To be honest, the closest PO to me that does them is right in the centre of Norwich, and is a bit of a hassle to get there.
I can’t imagine anything drastic happening in the three weeks that we will be away, so will give it a miss, for the time being.
Next year, when we are planning three months away, it will be a priority. Thanks everyone.

I have the same view. We are away from next Monday until 9th Oct travelling down and through northern Italy. We'll worry about IDP's when we get back, if required.

Graham
smile.gif

There's no need for an IDP before 31st October, and then only if there's a No Deal. In which case France will require an IDP with immediate effect, Spain next year. We may travel before B-Day and may go through France on way back so we're getting an IDP just to be covered. A Green Card may also be required.

To be honest, the closest PO to me that does them is right in the centre of Norwich, and is a bit of a hassle to get there.
I can’t imagine anything drastic happening in the three weeks that we will be away, so will give it a miss, for the time being.
Next year, when we are planning three months away, it will be a priority. Thanks everyone.

There used to be only a select few post offices that you could get them from Roger, my nearest used to be in Preston, but it now appears that all post offices do them now, since a no deal Brexit was lucking more likely, obviously in preparation for this, the post office has made it more widely available. I myself got two yesterday, one lasts for three years and the other one last for 12 months, total cost was £11.00, planning on traveling to Europe in November for a few months, so thought I would get them just in case they are needed.

I have just got both one for euro land and a separate one for Spain.

Cost £20 inc photos .
Just to be safe .

It's not as clear cut as just having 2 Graham, it depends on where you plan on driving. More here...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit-international-driving-permits

Graham
smile.gif

Thanks for the link... updated information since I last had cause to check. It looks as though most countries won't require an IDP at all with a UK photo licence and many will even accept the old paper licence like mine. That's a much much rosier picture than was originally painted. I got my 1968 IDP earlier this year for a trip that spanned the UK's previous leaving date but I haven't bothered with the 1949 one for Spain and Portugal this Autumn because I'll be home before 31st October.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back