Is this the end of the camp fires ?

Here's a recent survey of domestic wood fuel users.

Domestic Wood Use Survey

It reckons 7.5% of households use wood fuel for at least some of their heating, but bear in mind that, like most surveys, the figures are estimated.

Looks to me like they're wanting to ban the worst offending fuels, i.e. green wood and straightforward coal, so it kind of makes sense?

We have a multi fuel stove which can burn coal, but can't remember the last time we did.
All our wood is scavenged, or donated, and is seasoned for a minimum of one year old before burning.

The stove is only used for heating as an alternative to our gas central heating and is rarely lit gets outside wintertime, and never when the daily temperatures are reasonably warm regardless of time of year.

It chucks out a massive amount of heat, so only gets used when it is really cold, or on miserable days in the winter when we need cheering up :)

The government statistic quoted was, woodburners and open fires responsible for 39% of small particulates, more than all the HGV's on the roads.

I completely agree that wet wood is not good to burn, which is why I only buy kiln dried logs.

If protection of the environment was their primary concern, then surely pollution from aviation, buses and taxi's should be right up there, and above candles?

Or are they more concerned that if the above public transport was kicked into touch there would, quite rightly, be a riot.

It all comes across, to me, as a little hypocritical, and history tells me not to trust government statistics as they are all too easily massaged.

The government statistic quoted was, woodburners and open fires responsible for 39% of small particulates, more than all the HGV's on the roads.
There are more particulates come from al the hot air the MPs and local councils spout than ever came out of a log burner just not enough tax on a bit of wood. ?

The only Reson is thay cant tax it so ban it think abut it it fuel to warm your house if you are buying cash Frome the tree surgeon it's money straight in his hip pocket.
No VAT you go down the woods and cut a load of wood it's free so no way of taxing you.
Revenue lost owing to folks with wood burners a lot of it they want you burning gas oil coal smokless they get revenue from that
that's the only reason
bill

I completely agree with you there Bill. It is purely so they can get the tax they are now losing, saved us a fortune it has. As for firepits etc the buggers have got to catch you first, and a load of folk sat round a fire, who's gonna admit to lighting it?

Here's a recent survey of domestic wood fuel users.

Domestic Wood Use Survey

It reckons 7.5% of households use wood fuel for at least some of their heating, but bear in mind that, like most surveys, the figures are estimated.

Looks to me like they're wanting to ban the worst offending fuels, i.e. green wood and straightforward coal, so it kind of makes sense?

We have a multi fuel stove which can burn coal, but can't remember the last time we did.
All our wood is scavenged, or donated, and is seasoned for a minimum of one year old before burning.

The stove is only used for heating as an alternative to our gas central heating and is rarely lit gets outside wintertime, and never when the daily temperatures are reasonably warm regardless of time of year.

It chucks out a massive amount of heat, so only gets used when it is really cold, or on miserable days in the winter when we need cheering up :)

Marie my son is exactly the same as you he only burns seasoned wood and with him being a joiner he has surplus wood through his job, and he scavenges a lot he won’t entertain green wood as he says it doesn’t burn good!

Marie my son is exactly the same as you he only burns seasoned wood and with him being a joiner he has surplus wood through his job, and he scavenges a lot he won’t entertain green wood as he says it doesn’t burn good!

You're right Jeanette, green wood doesn't give off heat the same as well seasoned wood, as its drying out as its burning, so a waste of time burning it. We too season our logs for at least 12 months, pine for 18-24 months, but we also get manufacturers off cuts which are ready to burn straight away, its just finding enough space to store it all as I never turn down free wood :giggle: (we have never had to buy it yet).

You're right Jeanette, green wood doesn't give off heat the same as well seasoned wood, as its drying out as its burning, so a waste of time burning it. We too season our logs for at least 12 months, pine for 18-24 months, but we also get manufacturers off cuts which are ready to burn straight away, its just finding enough space to store it all as I never turn down free wood :giggle: (we have never had to buy it yet).

That’s exactly like my son marie he’s never bought any wood at all as I said he gets all the off cuts from his work and any that is going from other places wherever he works

Sue, I've got about 30' of feather edge fencing boards embarrassing me plus some posts with a touch of worm---any use to you?

Locally here the price of straw and timber is creeping up due to a massive unit in the North of England which is reputedly burning a ton a minute. Who gave it the subsidy on the basis of jobs? How many sawmills locally have shut so far? 3 and counting.... It all makes sense of course.... aye right.

B2

Locally here the price of straw and timber is creeping up due to a massive unit in the North of England which is reputedly burning a ton a minute. Who gave it the subsidy on the basis of jobs? How many sawmills locally have shut so far? 3 and counting.... It all makes sense of course.... aye right.

B2

Where's that then? :unsure:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back