It’s ridiculous!

Topmast

Why is it you spend the whole year taking care of your van replacing any suspect parts and generally keeping it in good roadworthy condition and yet take it for the annual test/mot you panic that something could have been overlooked and say thank god when you get that little bit of paper saying pass. Last year mine failed on one headlight being slightly more intense than the other age must have improved it as this year it sailed through.

Pleased to say I’ve never payed for an M O T for the last forty years so not bother how many times it goes in for it lololol.

I retired early 30 years ago and I still pay trade price, still not as good as free though :(

Terry this wiper motor is becoming a right saga. I’d be cheaper and less hassle buying a new van.

Why is it you spend the whole year taking care of your van replacing any suspect parts and generally keeping it in good roadworthy condition and yet take it for the annual test/mot you panic that something could have been overlooked and say thank god when you get that little bit of paper saying pass. Last year mine failed on one headlight being slightly more intense than the other age must have improved it as this year it sailed through.
If it failed surely it would have been fixed/replaced which would be why it’s improved and sailed through this time or am I missing something. 🤦‍♀️

If it failed surely it would have been fixed/replaced which would be why it’s improved and sailed through this time or am I missing something. 🤦‍♀️
Sorry I should have made that plain when it failed I took it home and decided there was nothing that could be altered so returned saying it was fixed it then passed with no further trouble.

Sorry I should have made that plain when it failed I took it home and decided there was nothing that could be altered so returned saying it was fixed it then passed with no further trouble.
My Ducato based van failed on the front O/S wheel bearing having too much play, it is a tester impression so it can vary between testers (the same as headlight intensity) and is a common MOT fault on Ducatos because they leave the factory with a slight play, there is no adjustment and the play is there because as they get hot and expand they would get too tight.
I went home and ordered a wheel bearing, I didn't fit it but left the receipt on the passenger seat, the tester drove it in and tested the bearing, he passed it and remarked how much better it was ;) , that was in 2005 and it still has the original bearings, I returned the bearing for a refund

My Ducato based van failed on the front O/S wheel bearing having too much play, it is a tester impression so it can vary between testers (the same as headlight intensity) and is a common MOT fault on Ducatos because they leave the factory with a slight play, there is no adjustment and the play is there because as they get hot and expand they would get too tight.
I went home and ordered a wheel bearing, I didn't fit it but left the receipt on the passenger seat, the tester drove it in and tested the bearing, he passed it and remarked how much better it was ;) , that was in 2005 and it still has the original bearings, I returned the bearing for a refund
I like it Terry lol

Now that’s strange my van is in for it’s MOT and has just failed on discs and brakes and wheel bearing and the mechanic said there’s a bit more play than there should be and when he spins the wheel it’s making a lot more noise so he has failed it after reading this I’m happy that he is doing the right thing for me.

Before I finally got around to changing the windscreen, on 2 consecutive years there were advisories about stone chips in the screen as well as another one for slight play in a lower knuckle joint.
Because we moved house, on the 3rd year I went to another MOT garage and received a totally clean pass! This garage, by the way, I hve since found out has a far higher reputation for being a stickler for getting things right!!

Now that’s strange my van is in for it’s MOT and has just failed on discs and brakes and wheel bearing and the mechanic said there’s a bit more play than there should be and when he spins the wheel it’s making a lot more noise so he has failed it after reading this I’m happy that he is doing the right thing for me.
If the bearing is noisy then it needs replacing, I keep a close eye on the condition of my brakes, always change them as soon as there is any sign of wear, nothing will stop me 🥴 from doing otherwise :ROFLMAO:

You've been lucky. My 2004 Ducato needed a new nearside wheel bearing when I bought it in 2018 and then the offside one started to go in Portugal two years ago, it limped home and I got it done in Kent as soon as I got there.

Ditto. My 2004 van started making a noise on day 3 of a month away in Ireland doing the WAW. By the time we got home it was making a right old racket.
No mistaking what it was anyway
K ;)

Ditto x2. The wheel bearing on my previous 2005 van started making a rumbling noise in North Germany and I realised it was spoiling the drive. I checked and found that a Main Dealer was only one mile away. They were brilliant and it was soon fixed.

Once home I replaced the other bearing as it must have been due too.

You've been lucky. My 2004 Ducato needed a new nearside wheel bearing when I bought it in 2018 and then the offside one started to go in Portugal two years ago, it limped home and I got it done in Kent as soon as I got there.

Ditto. My 2004 van started making a noise on day 3 of a month away in Ireland doing the WAW. By the time we got home it was making a right old racket.
No mistaking what it was anyway
K ;)

Ditto x2. The wheel bearing on my previous 2005 van started making a rumbling noise in North Germany and I realised it was spoiling the drive. I checked and found that a Main Dealer was only one mile away. They were brilliant and it was soon fixed.

Once home I replaced the other bearing as it must have been due too.

FRont wheel drive units eat wheel bearings in a few years, always best look/listen at them before a test, single one piece bearings have no adjustment, unlike rear taper bearings.
I am lucky because I was a time served mechanic, not trained in modern vehicles but all the old basics were covered, brakes, suspension, most mechanicals have not changed so I can still do all my own repairs, I can see me being 90 with my disability scooter stripped down in the kitchen 😄

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back