Italy september

Carrerasax

£350 for two weeks on a camp site with caravan & camping club as part of a rally! Doesn't seem particularly competitive!
How available are Aires and is acsi likely to be better?
Who stays where in Italy?

I've circumvented Italy, and took the Sostas guide. Sorry to say that I found it completely out of date, and many locations hard to find.

I found it often easier to simply drive into a village and look for campsite signs. The site's themselves varied hugely, and I frequently found it tricky to get on some sites.

I found that although the Italians were charming folk, they became completely bonkers behind the wheel. On a motorway the Italian in front of me thought nothing of reversing back towards me because he'd passed his turnoff. I'm still not certain how I braked on time.

Best of luck with your trip!

Last edited:
Are sostas on the wild camping app?
Is wild camping tolerated in Italy?

Sorry, but I don't have the wild camping app......should I hang my head in shame?

Wild camping is forbidden in National Parks but accepted away from habitation. I guess you already know about the rules regarding roads between Positano and Amalfi.

I occasionally managed to blag a private quiet place, such as a tennis court or beneath a religious building adjacent a public car park. Italians can be warm and welcoming, responding well to a smile.

P &A road? We are planning to go down east( Adriatic ) side as wife not keen on steep drops like almafi.
Is campercontact or park4thenight a source of overnight spots, or what else?

As a rule of thumb, the east coast is generally less interesting than the west, although the Gargano Peninsula is lovely. Further north, I tried driving south along the back roads, but found congestion appalling and in the end used motorways to get me going.

G&A don't allow campers to transit in daylight hours. Knowing this, we took a bus from Sorrento, and even that driver had a crash.

Post No 2 above supplies my solution to your last paragraph. Other options may be available.

If you are planning on visiting Alborobello, then make sure you visit at a time outside cruise ship coach trips.

It's along way to drive and not visit the Greek temples at Paestum on the west coast Tyrrhenian Sea as they are simply breathtaking. I recommend the Italy Eyewitness Guide for a great overview of an interesting country.

As a rule of thumb, the east coast is generally less interesting than the west, although the Gargano Peninsula is lovely. Further north, I tried driving south along the back roads, but found congestion appalling and in the end used motorways to get me going.

G&A don't allow campers to transit in daylight hours. Knowing this, we took a bus from Sorrento, and even that driver had a crash.

Post No 2 above supplies my solution to your last paragraph. Other options may be available.

If you are planning on visiting Alborobello, then make sure you visit at a time outside cruise ship coach trips.

It's along way to drive and not visit the Greek temples at Paestum on the west coast Tyrrhenian Sea as they are simply breathtaking. I recommend the Italy Eyewitness Guide for a great overview of an interesting country.
£350 for two weeks on a camp site with caravan & camping club as part of a rally! Doesn't seem particularly competitive!
How available are Aires and is acsi likely to be better?
Who stays where in Italy?
acsi likely to be around €20 per night, and is generally what we use in popular areas. Sostas and camperstops vary between free but many are €10 to €20 and are often commercial sites. Many hill villages allow parking outside the walls in the main car park. Also depends on what you want to see, the sea and beach, lakeside, Venice, Florence, Sienna, the Dolomites? Alan

Are the village car parks clearly signed as allowing camping cars or whatever the Italians call them?
Want to see bit of everything really. Done Venice though so could give it a miss. Florence & sienna sounds good.

They would say no overnight parking if it’s not allowed or the local police would ask you to move on. It’s not happened to us. It helps a lot if you shops etc in the village or the bar. The parking apps or motorhome guides give you quite a lot of info.

We’ve done Florence on a winter fly drive as much quieter then. Siena was brill, there’s a campsite in the ACSI book just south from where the local bus goes into the city. I’ll have to look up the campsite name.

Perugia is also worth a look, Tuscany is particularly pretty in the autumn as are the Dolomites. We also like lake Garda, plenty of places to visit around the lake on the boats, but don’t leave it too late as their frequency reduces.

If you want some info about specific areas, just ask we’ve toured a lot in Italy it’s such an interesting country. And the driving is fine as long as you don’t faff about. If you dither, all hell breaks out, drive confidently and you’ll get waves and smiles

Last edited:
Lake Garda and Tuscany are definitely in the plans
Daughter wants to fit out with family and rent some where. What are Verona and Rimini( San Remo) like?

The lakes are nice, but often busy.

Rimini (to me) and my wife who once mistakenly booked a week there in her teens, is a place to avoid. The last time I passed by they still had duck boards with entrance archways to subdivide individual hotel sections of beach.

I rather liked San Marino and wandered the area to visit each of the towers. It was a beautiful day and a young couple were tying the knot. We had our little dog at that time and took her up in the cable car because of the heat. If interested, I can give you the location of a free aire a short from the bottom station.

Last edited:
Yes please. Think that needs to be in the itinerary. Wife won't venture up but I could if there's anything but occupy her back at base!!
Are there opportunities to pick grapes in September/October? Like in France?

I dunno about picking grapes as I prefer drinking them. o_O

The free aire at San Marino is called Area Sosta Camper San Marino - P13. It's found off Strada Della Baldasserona and it's co-ords are: 43.94082, 12.44215. Please tell your wife that it's a really simple, safe, short, cable car ride, only 200 yards walk from the attached photo, and she will always regret missing it for the views alone. If my wife and our little westie could do it, then so can she!

What will not be immediately obvious is that there is a scruffy little loo block just round the corner. Also free.

Our previous camper, an AutoTrail Tracker is the middle van and behind us is a Hymer. When I chatted to the owner it turned out to be Peejay, a Free Member here, and if he ever sees this post, then "Best regards for your next trip to Greece/Turkey or wherever!"

76_Italy_San Marino_Tracker on stellplatz at Strada dell Baldasserona.jpg

Our previous camper, an AutoTrail Tracker is the middle van and behind us is a Hymer. When I chatted to the owner it turned out to be Peejay, a Free Member here, and if he ever sees this post, then "Best regards for your next trip to Greece/Turkey or wherever!"
Hi John, thanks for the mention, tend to be a bit of a lurker on here, must post more.

Hope youre both keeping well.

Pete

What s pleasant surprise Pete!

Yvonne is delighted to hear you are both fine too.

I dunno about picking grapes as I prefer drinking them. o_O

The free aire at San Marino is called Area Sosta Camper San Marino - P13. It's found off Strada Della Baldasserona and it's co-ords are: 43.94082, 12.44215. Please tell your wife that it's a really simple, safe, short, cable car ride, only 200 yards walk from the attached photo, and she will always regret missing it for the views alone. If my wife and our little westie could do it, then so can she!

What will not be immediately obvious is that there is a scruffy little loo block just round the corner. Also free.

View attachment 46836
It's just that, the view that would scare not impress her, unfortunately!!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back