Jacks and Jacking

Deovalente

Jacks and Jacking

Hi folks, this is my first post so please be gentle. I had to change a flat rear tyre on my Ducato based Adria C Sloop recently, only to find the supplied scissor jack (rated for 1750kg) and jacking point woefully inadequate. I do have breakdown cover but the van was on my drive and I was on holiday so took the DIY approach. The good thing about this is it showed the weaknesses in the current carried equipment. I have been looking to now carry a bottle jack due to its compact size but can you recommend a capacity and brand, please. Also, should I use the recommended jacking points or under the rear axle etc? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks

I,ve not had any problem with the Fiat scissor jack wouldn,t like to crawl in under using it but if used correctly it,s fit for changing a wheel
But I do carry a bottle jack as have rear air assist and you should only jack on axle if fitted
My bottle jack is x land rover discovery 2 section

I used the Fiat scissor jack to put my winter wheels on today, as I have done for the last 6 years. I only had a problem once when the thread threw off a swarf of metal and made it tight to turn. Cleaned and regreased and I still use this jack for all the changeovers but have a new (used) one kept in the van for emergencies. My recomendation would be to grease the jack now and again if using it regularly.

Weber are a well known manufacturer of hydraulic jacks and they are to be found as standard accessories on trucks etc. I carry a breaker bar also just incase nuts are tight to get off. As an alternative to wooden blocks you can buy plastic jacking pads which stack so you can adjust the height required.

Hi and welcome along.

I carry a 5ton bottle jack and one axle stand so I can lift a little, put on stand then a block under bottle. This way bottle doesn’t need to raise that much. Fiat scissor not good on a fully loaded van.

I have a Mercedes Sprinter based motorhome so have never experienced the Fiat scissor jack, the Merc came with a bottle jack though it didn't have a spare wheel, though that was down to the motorhome builder as Sprinters usually come supplied with a spare wheel.

Graham

Was Just thinking about an air bag you blow up with your exhaust they do a 4ton one on eBay any body got one and are they any good .

If you are lucky enough to live anywhere near a fleet vehicle hire firm and are in need of a decent bottle jack, you could try to get/buy one from them. If they have 7.5 ton trucks on their fleet, they most often do not use the vehicles own jack and take them out and store them. They usually have their own recovery service instead. I got a 7.5 tone Iveco bottle jack in this way for just a few pounds. Worth a try for you.

Exwindsurfer;n17394 said:
Was Just thinking about an air bag you blow up with your exhaust they do a 4ton one on eBay any body got one and are they any good .

There,s a lot of equiptment under a motorhome you,d not want a airbag jack lifting on

When buying a hydraulic jack remember you want one low enough to fit under a van with a flat tyre

Last edited:
Exwindsurfer;n17394 said:

I've used one since my caravan days. Obviously you need to be aware of where you place it, but you do with any form of jack. The advantage of airbags is that they spread the load over a much greater area. they also work on wet muddy grass or unstable ground, and are useful for lifting wheels out of mud onto planks or tracks.

Malcolm

Watching this post with interest as I tested my Fiat jack on flat hard standing with no issues, but can appreciate it may be more difficult on rough ground with a flat tyre..........

I have Iveco daily, and standard jack supplied with vehicle is bottle jack.

Hi I would advise you to choke the other wheels front + rear opposite side you are jacking I carry 4 small wooden wedges which I use to put behind the wheels when I am levelling wedges. As if the ground is not flat I mean front to rear its ok if its leaning away or to wards because as you jack the van it will go which ever way the slope is and the jack will start going side ways and like others have said I would I also carry a flat 8'' x 2 1/2'' piece of wood tapered at one so if i need extra height to level van I put under the jack for extra height.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back