just a bit bonkers

rugbyken

wully & i are in the aire at Milport isle of cumbrae in the clyde estuary millport has a magnificent bay & the aire new this june is £15 inc electric for a good generous pitch with views of the sea set just behind the old customs house there is an outcrop of rock that had always been noted for its resemblance to a crocodile, local legend says that just after the second world war someone on their way home from the pub highlighted various features & the tradition ? has been maintained E1A2494F-18DC-4BEB-A5DA-D09E659C0BF2.jpegD07938B6-5E23-4CF5-82CD-7BDD73D7BFAF.jpeg01C3AEEC-8FF2-424B-B6C7-9FAC41CAF4EA.jpeg9B076BFD-BD55-4C73-AFCF-9FF01DFE893B.jpeg

Nice Aire ;)
I seem to remember there was a huge roadside boulder somewhere on Ardnamurchan (?) That was painted as a giant midge... I have a photo somewhere.
K ;)
Here you go...

The Garrison at Millport on the small island of Cumbrae is a new aire and seems to be working well and very well run and looked after. They have 17 motorhome bays all with hook up a new Elsan a couple of taps and rubbish Bins. Near the beach right in the town. There’s a couple of nice eating places and the chipper 5 minutes is excellent. We asked if we Could have the fire pit and were told as long as it’s off the ground. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...cumbrae.com/&usg=AOvVaw1AX2E3anPMEtIdnlsfYsIN4750B640-578E-4302-8FDB-6F143C806C6D.png90E24223-1529-458B-B0F0-B668EEC31C0D.pngDE5424B5-3878-4C31-9145-9D9540B87088.jpeg

We love the island and go every year. We used the new aire and it's really good. We actually went into Garrison House to tell them how impressed we were with the facility and that they should tell N Ayrshire council to follow their lead instead of putting height barriers up at all their car parks so we can't even park there during the day. We spent money in the shops, cafes and pub in Millport. The locals are happy too as now motorhomes don't overnight along the sea front. Problem solved, everyone happy.

Sailed round Cumbrae on ”Drum” many years ago when Arnold Clark owned it (Drum not Cumbrae!) but have never visited. The aire looks great so it’s down on our list of places to visit as soon as we can find the time. Thanks for posting about it and enjoy your trip.
Tony

we have always just passed through Ayrshire ennroute to better things after wully educating me i have really loved this trip we wilded last night around the corner from millport nr the indians head crossed over from cumbrae this morning called in for lunch at troon visited the aire at Ayr ( will probably go back there tomorrow) now down in croy beach culzean bay walked along the huge beach almost up to culzean castle

We usually wildcamp on the west side and watch the wildlife on the beach when we go. There's often a fabulous sunset over Kintyre. The problem used to be nowhere on the island to empty the loo and get water. Now you can call at the new aire for a "pit stop" and make a donation.

We must head back there.
Last visit was in 1994.
Took our children who were the age of our now grandchildren.
This time with Baxter the camper and no family entertain 😆

Don’t forget a quick stop at the electric Brae to roll your bottle or ball uphill. 😂😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back