Just an observation ... AC Electrics

wildebus

MCBs (breakers) in Consumer Units can fail for absolutely no reason. So if you find a circuit is not working, checking you have power into the Van, and that the breakers are up may not tell the whole story. You might need to get a meter out and check the breaker is passing the power through (remember we are talking 230V Mains Voltage here, so take normal precuations and if unsure, don't do it yourself!).

I was reminded of this yesterday when doing some decorating ... took the wall light fittings off the stairs ready for painting. Wasn't sure which lighting circuit the stairs and landing was on - they are in the middle of the house and I have a circuit for "north bedrooms" and another for "south bedrooms". flipped both breakers down, power went off and removed fittings. When I put the breakers up again, the "north bedrooms" had power restored but the "south bedrooms" ...nothing.
Checked this morning (too late to look yesterday by time noticed there were no lights) and the breaker had failed. Visually fine; felt normal, but nothing passing through.
Fitted new MCB and lights back on (wondering if any of the other MCBs will fail randomly now though!).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back