Just looking for first motorhome

Elliott34

My wife and I both need a automatic motorhome I was wondering how common are automatics are and how much more expensive

Older models are rarer... and less reliable.
Welcome to our community.
Don't rush into buying your first motorhome.
Many folk panic bought anything available, during lockdown.
Disillusioned, they're desperate to offload them now.
Have fun and adventures.
Keep us posted on your progress.

If and when buying do take a old hand and a mechanic with you to look over before parting with the spondulics.
Best to look for a rear bed and not a cab one you have to build each night, try to stay away from over head front cab bed, hard to get up and down, and sore on fuel unless the streamline newer type, what weight, 3.5 t or up to 7.5t which has less rd tax and room to carry more things like deck chairs wind breaks tables and maybe a scooter/cycles etc.
Best to look around over next few mths. (y)

Hi and welcome

The usual advice is to try renting first before you buy. That way you can rent something with a layout that you think you need and then once you have tried it you can tailor your needs based on your experience.

The national motorhome show is on at the NEC in October...

...which would be a great way of having a look around many different ones in a short space of time. We are going but personally I'd not be buying there (unless the offer was too good to be true...unlikely) but we will be going just to see what's what as we are planning on changing our MH next year and reckon it'll give us a few ideas when we start to look at what's available.

Hello & welcome.
It took us a while to find our automatic mh. It was by chance really. Personally we like the fixed bed even though a wee bit less room, but it is amazing what you can still carry within weight restriction, if packed properly.
An overhead bed is awkward & can feel claustrophobic. If there is such a model, avoid drop down bed as that restricts 'lounge' usage due to lack of headroom once bed is down.
We tow a wee car which is easy for us to carry Donald's buggy without filling the 'lounge'.
I'd suggest that you take your time, have look at many models before spending your money. Even view ones up for sale, go sit in them, visualise how you'd be using it, that can help give you an idea if mh is suitable or not.
A' the best fae Thea & Donald

Finding a automatic can take its time but there out there. Took us few months to find our new to us automatic camper .
The 2.3 180 bhp automatic has so much power and lovely to drive.
Just climbed or first 20% hill this week went up like a goat 🐐 easy climbed it.

Finding a automatic can take its time but there out there. Took us few months to find our new to us automatic camper .
The 2.3 180 bhp automatic has so much power and lovely to drive.
Just climbed or first 20% hill this week went up like a goat 🐐 easy climbed it.

Can I ask what weight your MH is when fully loaded?

Ours is 5t and the same engine (2017 model) is rubbish...albeit that we have the manual version. Absolutely gutless on hills; go on the slightest incline and it wants to immediately change down. The mpg compared to the previous 3litre one is around 3-4mpg less too.

Ours is 5t and the same engine (2017 model) is rubbish...albeit that we have the manual version. Absolutely gutless on hills; go on the slightest incline and it wants to immediately change down. The mpg compared to the previous 3litre one is around 3-4mpg less too.
5000kg. Ours is a 2.3 180 bhp
There must be something wrong ours has loads of low down torque.
The 20%percent hill we just went up , it dropped to 3rd and pulled up with no problem.
I never needed to manually drop the gears down.
Over the last 400 miles computer say
Average mileage 28.4
Which has been mainly motorway and A roads.

Also I'd go manual if it's possible, but if not there are two types of Automatic on Motorhomes, the more common is the type where it is a manual gearbox but has been automated, they are similar in use to the torque converter type which is less complex and worldwide probably more understood and reliable, I have quite a few mechanic friends and most have had to service the torque converter types, but none have even seen the automated ones and are happy to not have to.

Ours is 2.3 130bhp but 3500kg. Struggles when fully laden, and needs to drop to 5th [manual box] as soon as the hill becomes visible. I try to hold revs at about 2100 to avoid that 'dying' feeling on long climbs, when engine speed falls towards 1500rpm. I have Trip Computer on 'Instant Consumption' and when the read out drops to 14.4mpg, find that opening the throttle further starts the 'Stage 2' boost, as though forcing the turbo on. The IC reading doesn't fall further and the engine does pull harder ... It's covered in the Manual, not in technical detail,just 'boot andget more oomph'. Managed OK in the Pyrenees and Alsace, so I can live with the lack16v GTi badges and performance. As the sticker on one M/Home said, 'If you think this is slow, wait until I reach the hill ...', or 'M/Home recently overhauled; by small boy on bike' ;)

Steve

5000kg. Ours is a 2.3 180 bhp
There must be something wrong ours has loads of low down torque.
The 20%percent hill we just went up , it dropped to 3rd and pulled up with no problem.
I never needed to manually drop the gears down.
Over the last 400 miles computer say
Average mileage 28.4
Which has been mainly motorway and A roads.

Christ - I didn't realise you were dropping down to 3rd!!!

Nowt wrong with ours then as I've never had to hit 3rd gear on decent hills yet, only 4th. Different thing in the Alps of course but on motorways/A roads 5th will hold it but 4th will pull.

Ours is 2.3 130bhp but 3500kg. Struggles when fully laden, and needs to drop to 5th [manual box] as soon as the hill becomes visible. I try to hold revs at about 2100 to avoid that 'dying' feeling on long climbs, when engine speed falls towards 1500rpm. I have Trip Computer on 'Instant Consumption' and when the read out drops to 14.4mpg, find that opening the throttle further starts the 'Stage 2' boost, as though forcing the turbo on. The IC reading doesn't fall further and the engine does pull harder ... It's covered in the Manual, not in technical detail,just 'boot andget more oomph'. Managed OK in the Pyrenees and Alsace, so I can live with the lack16v GTi badges and performance. As the sticker on one M/Home said, 'If you think this is slow, wait until I reach the hill ...', or 'M/Home recently overhauled; by small boy on bike' ;)

Steve

Same here Steve. The slightest incline and it tells me to change down.

Same here Steve. The slightest incline and it tells me to change down.
I've also had to wait for the engine to loosen up, Graham; a combination of a lot of standing around [8767 miles in 5 years when we bought it] and the engine remaining tight made for some interesting manoeuvres in the early days! But I've also noticed that after about 10-15 miles [depends on external temperature], the engine livens up quite considerably, so I suspect the engine oil is still warming thoroughly during this time

I do try to 'drive the road ahead' and drop to 5th as soon as I see the hill, to get the best possible run at the gradient. I'll be interested to see if the engine loosens up some more on the next 'big trip' which should see the 20,000 miles mark pass. There is a big difference between Brunhilde's 3.5 tonne bulk and 130bhp, and Tig's 150TDi dragging less than 1600kg within a more svelte body! :rolleyes:

Steve

Reactions: GMJ
We have a 2006 Autotrail Miami S which is based on a Renault Master.
I have the choice of driving in Manual or Automatic. It makes for very comfortable driving.
We get around 25/26 mpg. In the last two years, we have have toured France, Spain and Portugal twice with each trip in excess of 5k and she has never missed a beat.
If you get the opportunity to buy your ideal van, just go for it, you’ll never look back.

I've also had to wait for the engine to loosen up, Graham; a combination of a lot of standing around [8767 miles in 5 years when we bought it] and the engine remaining tight made for some interesting manoeuvres in the early days! But I've also noticed that after about 10-15 miles [depends on external temperature], the engine livens up quite considerably, so I suspect the engine oil is still warming thoroughly during this time

I do try to 'drive the road ahead' and drop to 5th as soon as I see the hill, to get the best possible run at the gradient. I'll be interested to see if the engine loosens up some more on the next 'big trip' which should see the 20,000 miles mark pass. There is a big difference between Brunhilde's 3.5 tonne bulk and 130bhp, and Tig's 150TDi dragging less than 1600kg within a more svelte body! :rolleyes:

Steve
Engine lossen up on short trips, takes at least 50 th miles to get better.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back