Krakaw - Poland. Recommendations for things to do (other than Auschwitz)

• Thread starter Deleted member 4892
  • Start date

Deleted member 4892

Looking for some ideas/things to do, wondering on any ideas experiences from anyone that's been there.

It's a big No for Auschwitz, my good lady will not entertain it as said he still is trying to get over the last time we visited a similar place.

So far, we have the Salt Mines and the Jewish quarter on the to-do list. Anyone got any other ideas/recommendations on things to do?

TIA

The Wawel castle is beautiful and you can get the audio tour in English to listen to as you go round. The Koscioł Mariacki (St Mary’s Church) in the main square is beautiful as is the old cloth hall in the same square. There are also lots of cellar bars and restaurants. Mogiła is a lovely old village just out side Krakow and go look at Nowa Huta. Now a Huta is not a lovely place by and stretch of the imagination but it’s good to see as it was one of the very first communist new towns built to house the people who worked in the steel mill there. If you want to go a little further afield go to Zakopane in the mountains about and hour or so away or the Black Madonna in Częstochowa where the people still walk on there knees to see her as is has so much power

The legend of Mogiła is that Queen Jadwiga was there at the Cistercian Abbey on the verge of a battle. She prayed that if God spared her army and people she would lay down her life. The battle commenced and the Poles won so the next day she threw herself into the river And drowned

I’m afraid it looks like it’s only me posting here so another snippet of information. I was born in Mogiła in January and that year the winter was harsh, my father pulled my mother and me home to Nowa Huta on a sleigh in -50c. Glad I don’t remember that winter

I went to Krakow for a long weekend with a load of others on motorbikes. The Pope was in residence at the same time - it meant no alcohol was being served anywhere, every shelf was empty, no bars open, nothing. Good job I don’t drink, but there were a lot of unhappy bikers.

Auschwitz is a must, Birkenau felt like too much sadness overload so we didn’t go there.

Wieliska, the salt mine is well worth a visit, not too good if your claustrophobic going down in the lift, but tolerate it the insides make up for it.

I’m afraid it looks like it’s only me posting here so another snippet of information. I was born in Mogiła in January and that year the winter was harsh, my father pulled my mother and me home to Nowa Huta on a sleigh in -50c. Glad I don’t remember that winter

Don’t be shy about knowing your stuff, Poland’s on my list later in the year. Dziekuje Ci.
If anyone was silly enough to want to know anything about East Finchley, I’d have to admit it’s 40 years since I lived there. Things change.
Or Northampton? I’d have to ask, Why? If M1 junctions 15,15a and 16, didn’t exist, nobody would miss them. ?

Krakow is tiny, and easily walked or cycled around. The centre, though attractive, is sadly very touristy.

If you do go, remember to see the trumpet call, where the player from high up ubruptly ends his call (due to an arrow in his throat):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Mary's_Trumpet_Call

The Schindler Factory is well signpost, worth a visit, but can get very busy in season.

A little known fact is that you can spend the night at Elcamp, a dealership and Motorhome repairer, but get there early as there are not many spaces:
http://www.elcamp.pl/

PS: They don't let you wander around the Wawel with a bike. Goodness knows why I thought they would. :)

Last edited:
Polish Air museum , well worth a visit as it has lots that you dont see in "Western" museums .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Aviation_Museum

wawel castle dont expect Neuschwanstein , as its a bit empty , looted several times over the years , they have stuck a bit of furniture in but not much original . It also is pretty crowded . JMHO

Elcamp is OK and a bus goes from right outside if needed .

Thanks so much for the feedback. We are off on the 28th March and you've given me plenty to consider. Has anyone eaten out in the Jewish quarter? I've heard the food there is amazing.

Thanks so much for the feedback. We are off on the 28th March and you've given me plenty to consider. Has anyone eaten out in the Jewish quarter? I've heard the food there is amazing.
To be honest, I liked the Jewish Quarter best, particulatly Szeroka (Street) and the food there was excellent.

The weather was fabulous, which always makes things so much nicer nicer.

We were there in 2016. Others have given the main Krakov highlights. We stayed at Camping Adam, 96 ztl, ok, it had all the services and buses into the city. We were in Poland for 22 nights, wildcamping apart from two campsites. Our memorable moment from Krakov was dinner at U Babci Maliny, an order at the counter canteen, in the basement of the Academy of Sciences Building - recommended. You can stay for 24 hours in the car parks around the Wieliczka salt mine. The official CP was 30ztl, we paid 20 just down the road. After the guided part of the salt mine tour we continued with the museum tour, also underground, and exited from a different shaft into the town - recommended.

Yes, wife and I also really enjoyed Babci Maliny and so cheap and tasty. Walked completely round the block before we found it as the small sign on the wall above the grand double-door library entrance on Slawkowska (no 17) wasn't illuminated - but when we stuck our heads round the door, and muttered the name, the concierge responded with alacrity and pointed to the courtyard where we found the steps down to the cellar. kuchniaubabcimaliny.pl. In Jewish Quarter, head for Starka at 14, Jozsefa, starka-restauracja.pl - more upmarket but fabulously delicious and far from bankbreaking. We got complimentary schnapps at the end of both meals. Make sure you book, or (as we did) go at off-peak times. We also enjoyed Polakowski a long established family run Polish Cafeteria at plac Wszystkich Świętych 10, near the Main Square (and four other addresses, see polakowski.com.pl). All these recommended by a charming, beautiful and helpful young lady at the tourist office in the main square as places where Poles eat.

Well done guys for putting up excellent replies my daughter in law is over there till this Thursday at her parents the other day it was 20 degrees the following day -5

A quick word about Polish hospitality

I was over there about 12 years ago on a biking holiday. We rode into a small village, starving hungry it was gone 2pm, and found a small village pub.

I went into a barely open door and said hello, a man appeared and spoke to me in Polish - no good for me. I then found out he knew a bit of German and I asked if he was open and could be buy food and drink?

He said no, sorry we are closed, and directed me to the door. He poked his head out, partly to see me on my way, and to see who exactly was outside.

He quickly did a head count, we were perhaps 12 or 14, men and women - yes, we are open! He changed his mind seeing he’d probably now be getting a weeks takings in short time.

There was not going to be a menu as he was on his own, he offered us dumplings in broth, along with tea, coffee or cold drinks (no beer we’re riding) Later on as we were about to be on our way he asked us to stay another 10 minutes and he would return.

This he did in a short while riding his pride and joy BMW R27 motorbike, not quite liberated from the Wehrmacht, but very early all the same. He was pleased as punch to show it off to us alongside what we were riding.

,908_Baltic Coast_Poland_Helena Rubinstein's Birthplace.JPG

I've just remembered, for the ladies amongst us, Helen Rubinstein was born in Szeroka (Street) now a pleasant cafe. Here's a photo I took of her birthplace. (Sorry about my bike being in shot.)

Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm certainly looking forward to the trip and you've given me plenty of things to consider when I'm out there.
Ta very much (y)

Also really helpful to us, as we are planning our first foray into Poland after the wildcamping Netherlands trip. We will only be able to dip our toes in as have to be in S Germany for 10.05. Was wondering if it was too far for a shortish trip, but you’ve re whetted our appetite!

Looking for some ideas/things to do, wondering on any ideas experiences from anyone that's been there.

It's a big No for Auschwitz, my good lady will not entertain it as said he still is trying to get over the last time we visited a similar place.

So far, we have the Salt Mines and the Jewish quarter on the to-do list. Anyone got any other ideas/recommendations on things to do?

TIA
The salt mine is amazing. We enjoyed the town and its cafes and culture. Auswitz was a truly memorable experience, try to get your wife to go. Can recomend camping Smok or camping Adam. Both on town bus/tram routes.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back