Largs

Mobilvetta

There is only one reason why Largs Yacht Haven have offered to pay for the barrier to be erected on the council's carpark, that is presently free for motorhomes to use. It's because they hope that motorhomes will now pay £30.00 a night to park in the Aire that the marina setup. It's unfortunate that the councillors have accepted this offer.

Having kept a motorboat in the Marina there for 6 years, it was all about extracting as much money from you as they could, it was the most expensive marina on the Clyde at the time and probably still is.

As soon as my motorboat arrived on the low loader out they came with the tape measure to measure it's overhaul length, they allocated me a berth that wasn't wide enough, unless you had a few crew who were handy with fenders.

After two weeks of asking for a wider berth and getting no where I hired there marina professional skipper to come and drive my boat, even he said the berth was totally unsuitable for the beam of my boat, it was only then that they reluctantly gave me a wider berth.

In my boating experience many marinas even down on the south coast offered benifits to berth holders, cheaper fuel, discounted Cranage fees etc, when I approached Caroline the manager of the marina, asking if Largs would consider doing this for berth holders she didn't want to know. It was at a time when fuel had gone up overnight from being 40p a litre to 95p a litre, but that was down to the EU saying leisure boats are not allowed to use discounted red diesel for propulsion purposes.

They did offer to rent out your berth though if you were away for a few weeks and you would get half the fees they charged back, but me and my friends up there never received anything, despite the marina been full.

I actually hope motorhomes now boycott staying at Largs Yacht Haven due to this latest move by them. Not actually seen the Aire there, but I imagine it will be were they used to put your boats when you brought them out for maintenance, it was not a tarmac area, but one large area with just crusher run aggregate on the ground. It's a shame they have taken the option away of a free stay away as Largs is a lovely little town to spend your money and Scott's restaurant is a lovely restaurant on the marina who would probably have no doubt gained more customers from the motorhome community had they have had a free stay.

Screenshot_2021-08-11-07-54-43-007_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, the minority spoil it for the majority, but maybe the problem has been exaggerated by the marina to persuade the council to ban motorhomes from staying there, in the hope they will stay in the marina at £30 a night.

Perhaps rather than the offer of paying for the barrier, they could have helped the situation by allowing motorhomes to use there facilities for a small fee, like some caravan sites allow and the council could have introduced a limited amount of motorhome bays only, for a small overnight fee, rather than installing a barrier to ban them all.

All those motorhomes will go elsewhere and spend there money now, not fair on the local businesses who may have benifited.

Oh I forgot to mention the back carpark at the marina was a well known dogging site, perhaps a large amount of motorhomes parking up there may have stopped this type of behaviour, which I'm sure some of the local residents would have had more concerns about than motorhomes parking there.

The marina aire is not an aire its a Caravan and Motorhome Club CL that is only open to CAMC members. Lots of CAMC members seem to think that £30 is not a bad price!

The marina aire is not an aire its a Caravan and Motorhome Club CL that is only open to CAMC members. Lots of CAMC members seem to think that £30 is not a bad price!
I must be tight, as I only like to pay £15.00 a night max at a CL, but they have probably priced it to what they charge visiting boats, who pay £3.45 per metre per night.

Hopefully the council won't be persuaded to put a barrier on the carpark behind this one, as I intend to visit when up that way and have a meal at Scott's. Oh and I still have my berth holders chipped pass, so will be able to use the facilities of the marina😉

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back