Last week we went to Shrewsbury...

Pudsey Bear

We went last year but I really struggled with walking around but this year I had bought a 4 wheeled walker with a seat so I could stop and rest as and when, anyway we went to the Harry Potter shop (I loved the films, and books, but can't watch the films now I've read the books) the shop is on Grope lane
which leads up to Bear steps, here there is a bit of a artist display place so we went in and I found it a bit boring until we spoke to this man who turned out to be an historian for the town and he knew so much stuff, he invited us onto the only exterior tudor balcony in the world https://www.google.com/maps/@52.707...4!1s6BOvPgYWDp-XxPe9IVU67w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Anyway it seems it being a seriously old town a lot of the street names are related to the kinds of businesses carried on there in Tudor times such as Butcher Street was all butchers, Baker St, Fish St and so on around the town so I asked what we'd been wondering since our last visit where we'd only gone to the bottom of the lane to the Costa coffee shop last time, turns out that Grope Lane had been shortened from the full version in Tudor times, it used to be called GropeC*** lane.

We went last year but I really struggled with walking around but this year I had bought a 4 wheeled walker with a seat so I could stop and rest as and when, anyway we went to the Harry Potter shop (I loved the films, and books, but can't watch the films now I've read the books) the shop is on Grope lane
which leads up to Bear steps, here there is a bit of a artist display place so we went in and I found it a bit boring until we spoke to this man who turned out to be an historian for the town and he knew so much stuff, he invited us onto the only exterior tudor balcony in the world https://www.google.com/maps/@52.707...4!1s6BOvPgYWDp-XxPe9IVU67w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Anyway it seems it being a seriously old town a lot of the street names are related to the kinds of businesses carried on there in Tudor times such as Butcher Street was all butchers, Baker St, Fish St and so on around the town so I asked what we'd been wondering since our last visit where we'd only gone to the bottom of the lane to the Costa coffee shop last time, turns out that Grope Lane had been shortened from the full version in Tudor times, it used to be called GropeC*** lane.
There are a few of them

Did you enjoy Grope lane ?
I feel you probably did !
When is the court case ?

Did you enjoy Grope lane ?
I feel you probably did !
When is the court case ?
Yeah, we must have spent a couple of hours round there, we really like the town, we like Chester too.

There's a good Adult Only site just outside Shrewsbury called Beaconsfield Farm at Battlefield about 15 mins drive.

It's handy for Shrewsbury stayed when we had our Caravan...Fishing----Swimming Pool & I think he's put Dining in on there too.

There's a good Adult Only site just outside Shrewsbury called Beaconsfield Farm at Battlefield about 15 mins drive.
Y 4 you tell me?

Only one it seems, google doesn't show me any others.

Only one it seems, google doesn't show me any others.
There are (were) a few . Sometimes changed to grape but often something totally different.
Big cities like York , Newcastle, London etc .
Some small towns , think Whitby has one

There are (were) a few . Sometimes changed to grape but often something totally different.
Big cities like York , Newcastle, London etc .
Some small towns , think Whitby has one
Ah, I see, we were at cross purposes, yes I agree the street name and surnames were often related to what a person did.

I was referring to the Shrewsbury Tudor outside balcony being the only one.

There's also the Morris Leisure site nearby as well which is right next to the Park and Ride so just a short walk from the site to the P&R into town. we stayed there a few years ago and agree, Shrewsbury is a very nice little town.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back