Latest International Restrictions

TissyD

I see there are no restrictions posted for the uk. Does this mean we are still open for business and letting all and sundry in?

Rec

Surprised to see how many flights are allowed into Portugal, but they are all tested immediately on arrival and results available instantly. No change for UK residents crossing borders between portugal / Spain / France if returning to uk residence.

jagmanx

It is complete B0110ck5

The home secretary whinges about too many immigrants.
Please note how many thousands even tens of are keeping the NHS working and also dying

Yet fails to act to stop infections coming into the country.
They should surely be checked/tested at the very least and if they have any signs then ISOLATED yes at the governments cost.
Well of course it is our cost really

Moderators please note I have edited as suggested..Thanks

Last edited:

Minisorella

Everyone that comes into the country has to go straight home and stay there, in the same way we all have to, so effectively in isolation. Others are through passengers. They explained it fairly well the other day that checking people for symptoms on landing is just a repeat of what every passenger went through before boarding the plane. Plus, people who are pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic wouldn't be picked up anyway, yet might show symptoms the next day. I guess on balance they feel that it's not a logical use of resources given the need elsewhere, especially given the small numbers flying now. I'm not arguing the point either way, just clarifying the facts as presented.

2cv

I think that some places have been much more restrictive, perhaps rightly. In time I think that the UK too will impose very severe restrictions. It’s good that they allowed UK citizens to return home if abroad.

St3v3

Everyone that comes into the country has to go straight home and stay there, in the same way we all have to, so effectively in isolation.
I had concerns about how easy it is to come to this country after my mate's cousin flew in with no checks. However, you're entirely right, that's how they are covering it...

Yes, someone could ignore the rules, but they also might be clean. And a UK resident could also ignore the rules and could be infected.

The border controls are far less relevant when the problem is already here!

Minisorella

I had concerns about how easy it is to come to this country after my mate's cousin flew in with no checks. However, you're entirely right, that's how they are covering it...

Yes, someone could ignore the rules, but they also might be clean. And a UK resident could also ignore the rules and could be infected.

The border controls are far less relevant when the problem is already here!
That's pretty much what they said at one of the briefings the other day... case of closing the stable door and all that. They did say that once we've got the current wave under control and are into the next phase with 'test, track and trace', that's when tests on arrivals would become a useful and logical tool.

St3v3

That's pretty much what they said at one of the briefings the other day...
We've pretty much stopped watching it now. It is what it is etc... Plus it was upsetting boy. I was also pretty done with the stupid questions from the media and somehow I think it also got worse when it wasn't BJ answering them.

Minisorella

Yes, they've obviously been under a bit of pressure to do or say something more about this. It's good that they've firmed up the isolation/quarantine rules for arrivals plus added powers to pull people aside for screening if they suspect they're ill. If you look futher down the article, it still looks as though they'll be waiting until the recommended 'right time' to actually introduce the full process, once the spread has reduced and we're in the test, track and trace phase.

Reactions: 2cv

2cv

I did have some doubts as to wether the story may just be the Mail stirring things, but it’s widely reported elsewhere now. It may be timed to coincide with lockdown restrictions being eased in a couple of weeks, and be strictly enforced to put UK in a good position as other countries begin to open borders a little. Link
Apparently flights are carrying very few passengers now, so whilst coming late, quarantine would be far easier to carry out than when there were thousands of repatriations every day.

2cv

It’s coming. Hope that they do it better than some countries where people have simply been confined to hotel rooms at the port of entry.

rottytara2004

Just to add. My neighbour has just flown in from Dubai. No checks at airport, no discussion of quarantine and he was at the supermarket yesterday with no mask on. Why is he not monitored with phone call checks like they do in Gibraltar!!! I know personally they do this there. Is there nothing like this in the UK.

2cv

Just to add. My neighbour has just flown in from Dubai. No checks at airport, no discussion of quarantine and he was at the supermarket yesterday with no mask on. Why is he not monitored with phone call checks like they do in Gibraltar!!! I know personally they do this there. Is there nothing like this in the UK.
Regarding Dubai, they require a test on entry. The nasal and throat swabs are apparently a pretty unpleasant experience. I read of someone who had such a test on entry there but was back in UK two weeks later when the positive result arrived. Not very effective when results take so long. At least he was able to inform some people that he’d been in contact with in that time.

2cv

Certainly it would appear that tough enforcement works. In Singapore arrivals must not leave their allocated hotel room for 14 days. They are phoned to check that they are there and can expect jail if caught away. They have had a total of 22 deaths.
When the UK introduce a stricter quarantine I expect there will be much as at present left to trust and as at present new arrivals will be out and about well before 14 days. UK with a population 10 times that of Singapore have had 34000 deaths.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:160)

paulhelenwilko, tonybvi, Edina, Val54, TissyD, RV2MAX, andyjanet, Full Member, witzend, RoaminRog, Ian1950, Reiverlad, Matchlock, wildebus, tapfitter, helen262, TeamRienza, snapster, yorkslass, jagmanx, korky, toasty, GreggBear, Millie Master, Carrerasax, in h, Phase3begins, Fiona68, Rec, Wully, Biggarmac, woodhouse boy, jeffmossy, Silver sprinter, cronkle, Exwindsurfer, Tezza33, pj650, Budgie, Molly 3, Obanboy666, Greengrass, ken sowerby, Sherry, skippy, john and janet, St3v3, Campervanannie, mossypossy, Geriv, PeteS, Geeky Philip, xsilvergs, Jo001, TJBi, andysm, Okta, maingate, Bigshug, maureenandtom, 2vans, Minisorella, mandoman, Clunegapyears, Topmast, Thehawk, walpeter, vtwinner, Lee, runnach, helmit, Aly1, Forcesixwindy, katv, steve strange, Haaamster, rugbyken, Linda, Alcfire, Caz, wesaaron, Barge1914, 76zedfour, kenspain, Denmar, Jeanette, Wes, dickydo, HurricaneSmith, ton27, WillyO, rottytara2004, Chip, forthpilot, Trotter, ronharper333@gmail.com, Pauljenny, RDC, RONWOOD, Patnlorewatson, HermanHymer, Maci, Skiptonian, Porridge140, Nitkn, Jimbohorlicks, Weels, joncaton, eddie8856, jeffscarborough, Jennyp19, Jack Alfie, Nowego, TheCoggins, Kraken, CliveW, tripper, Mikael63, Ifor, scouter, Escape2020, GeordieBoy, Shonky, Tim1953, JSP, Jimmy.C, roadroamer, wilfyboy@hotmail.com, Neodafyd, Catch55, Tim120, Bugsbunny, AdriaTwin, Wooie1958, dogsbarker, Julesanian, robell, Tribute11, LANDS43, silverweed, andromeda, Strollerbird, Nomad, Forresbroons, DnK, Benylin, grantandmargie, SquirrellCook, s4x4c, Yorkscol, Seymour, gipsy_jo, Amudle, Dartmoor Punch, vanda, mrtorchy, Clewsy, Dell, moonshadow, juliet,