LED lights

annieo

Can I fit G4 12V DC LED bulbs directly into the G4 fittings instead of G4 halogen bulbs on a motorhome?

Yes

Depending on the new led lamps you buy you may find that they only work one way round ie. polarity dependant

Have you bought any replacements yet ?

It can be a bit hit and miss / trial and error to get one that gives you the brightness and colour you want

I did buy some very cheap ones on ebay , some failed soon after buying and some flicker but the rest seem ok

For top quality look at someone like Atenlighting.co.uk

Last edited:
Yes

Depending on the new led lamps you buy you may find that they only work one way round ie. polarity dependant

Have you bought any replacements yet ?

It can be a bit hit and miss / trial and error to get one that gives you the brightness and colour you want

I did buy some very cheap ones on ebay , some failed soon after buying and some flicker but the rest seem ok

For top quality look at someone like Atenlighting.co.uk

Thanks for replying Trek,
I did buy some from Wilko which stated 12V but not whether it was DC or AC. They seemed okay but do flicker slightly. Having read a few posts on different websites, I did wonder whether they need to be 12V DC only, whereas some G4 LEDs state AC/DC. I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I recently changed all mine, it was a straight swop. I too used Atenlighting.co.uk, met them at NEC exhibition and very helpful. Their website is very informative and they told me to email them if I had any queries. They aren't the cheapest.

I am awaiting delivery of some 12V DC only LED's from Ebay. I do think £4-7 is a bit too expensive for one LED from Aten Lighting, but will bow to their superiority if I find the replacements still flicker etc.

I bought mine from Aldi three years ago and none have failed yet and my moho is used regularly.

DF2343BC-69E9-46CA-BC17-69F77800DD13.jpeg31AD7EE6-46B8-4807-9D39-8828F2F9C383.jpeg

These are what I bought I only got one to try then purchased more on eBay that were much cheaper and they work fine no flickering at all.

I also bought these from eBay as they were much cheaper than the status ones not tried them yet but will report when I do.

EC8FEB0B-476A-46DE-A115-5A8E807E62F0.jpeg

I had all mine changed whilst Yami was in for a few warranty jobs at Salop Leisure, Shrewsbury. It was over 2 years ago and had no problems with them at all. They only charged me for the bulbs and they worked out about £3.50 each. I can have 4 or 5 of them on at night for about 6 hours before the batteries drop 0.1v or 0.2v on the master control unit. They are also kinder on the eyes and tend to spread the light rather than aim it at a set point like the halogen ones did.

Thank you all for your comments, and having fitted the 12V DC LED's (bought from Ebay) this week, no polarity issues, looked okay at 14V, I'm going to try them out this weekend and see how they do. Will let you know :)

Hi has anyone tried CPC Farnell? on this monts offer sheet they have G4 1.5W (pt No LP0966508) £1.84 or G4 2W @ £2.15 (pt No LP0966608) these are plus vat and free postage on orders over £5

You can purchase 13 volt av /DC bulbs,they ate more expensive but are far more reliable and give excellent light output..
Roger Hurcombe.

Sorry should say 12 volt Ac/DC more stable and reliable.
Roger Hurcombe.

My cheap 12V DC LED's from Ebay worked a treat apart from being less bright, so I used an AC/DC LED in tandum in my main overhead light, and now plenty of light, no flickering and the strange problem I was having with my control panel has gone away. Sometimes I couldn't see the battery status of the leisure batteries, or the water and grey water tank status and was going to have to take it out and send it away to find out what the problem was. Looks like the original LED's were the problem.

FWIW, I replaced all my outstanding G4s with these from eBay. They are as bright as the original G4 halogens but consume a fraction of the power. However, they are very voltage sensitive and dim significantly when the voltage drops (e.g. they flicker in time with water pump stroke, when the average system voltage drops to below 12v). As I want to replace all my lighting with LEDs (I already have the modules) I wonder whether it would be feasible to fit a voltage stabiliser to the lighting only and hence minimise the fluctation with battery voltage...

From experience I have found that it is worth buying the better quality leds, because most leds are voltage sensitive, and can be damaged if they get differing voltages.
I have also found that "daylight" leds tend to be too bright for inside motorhome use.
However, my 5m long led strip stuck to the bottom of my wind out awning lights up the garden a treat and useful when wilding in the pitch darkness. The type I used for the awning were of the 5050 daylight type.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back