Leisure battery choice confusion

SimonM

I currently have 4x Banner 95751 100/110ah batteries in my MH. They’re hooked up to 220w of solar, MPPT controller and a B2B.

However, before I added the latter I used to have just a simple controller and used to leave the MH on ehu at home almost permanently.

As a consequence, added to a lot of neglect, I found that all of the cells were extremely low on levels and had plenty of dry plates exposed. Filling them all took rather a lot of water. I wasn’t aware that they needed regular checking, low maintenance not no maintenance. Luckily I did have them breathing to the outsides.

Concerned that I had done damage I removed all of them and took them in to be checked over. 1 was showing 82% capacity and the other 3 were 64-66%. My fault, I cooked them with neglect. I’m assuming that those 3 are pretty much shot - do you agree?

When I was working as purchasing manager for a large motor factor I had access to a large number of battery manufacturers, Bosch, Banner, Platinum, Yuasa. I originally chose Banner not knowing much about what to get. I still don’t.

I think I need to sort out some replacements in the near future as I’m not convinced they’ll last me on a long trip, and I dont want to get stuck. So what to buy? I’m not flush enough to go down the lithium route, so it’ll be lead acid for now.

I’ve come up with some options, but herein lies my confusion retaining the same battery dimensions as my Banners.

Bosch/Varta L3015/LFD90 (both are the same) 90ah, maintenance free, 200 cycles, 4yr warranty, 24kg

Yuasa L36-EFB, 100ah, mf, 200 cycles, 3yr warranty, 24kg

Yuasa L36-AGM, 90ah, mf, 400 cycles, 2yr warranty, 25.6kg

Disregarding the price differences I will still buy at wholesale direct from the manufacturer, I’m assuming the AGM battery should be the better option 400 cycles, but only has a 2Yr warranty. Bosch is 4yr and 200cycles. Yuasa EFB is 200cycles and 3 year warranty.

We do use an inverter to nuke some evening meals, but as my wife still works school hours we don’t get away very often.

I’d appreciate your comments, or alternative suggestions, I can access Exide as well

Do as Molly 3 suggests..
Then get whichever require least or zero maintenance.
With your solar set-up you should have no problem...even with (sensible) use of an inverter

Try this trick, it has worked for me in the past, drain the old acid from your batteries, flush out the cells with hot water, then rinse out with cold, buy some fresh acid and refill the cells, put on a slow charge, this should refresh the cells, I have 2 leisure batteries that are still working well a year after doing this procedure, it has also worked and rejuvenated motorcycle batteries, the bikes have been laid up through the winter, and the batteries were in a bad way, you could always try this out on 1 battery at not much cost, it could work, if you flush out the cells, its surprising just how much shit comes out, and its this stuff that lies at the bottom of the cells and shorts out the plates .
Just one more thing be careful how you dispose of the old acid, its very dirty stuff, I took the old acid to be local recycling centre for proper disposal, if the plates are buckled this trick will not work, oh that was 2 things lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Jeff, I quite agree, it was all of my own doing ?

I’m still torn between the Bosch/Varta and the Yuasa EFB.

The Bosch/Varta powerframes ARE maintenance free and are one of the very few battery’s that are okay mounted inside the hab area

I have 2 of these, both bought at the same time last year. would I be able too put back to back with the 100amp installed as leisure battery. also what make of monitor device to keep an eye onthings

20190326_195804.jpg

I have 2 of these, both bought at the same time last year. would I be able too put back to back with the 100amp installed as leisure battery. also what make of monitor device to keep an eye onthings

The ones you have got are a different amperage than what is in your van , and it is best not to mix different amp batteries

The Bosch/Varta powerframes ARE maintenance free and are one of the very few battery’s that are okay mounted inside the hab area

It’s that quality that makes me almost certain to specify a set, the price difference for me is less than £5 a battery as I can buy direct from Bosch or Yuasa. It’s just that the EFB seems a better battery but adding in the 4 yr warranty from Bosch will probably sell them for me.
As Exide and Banner are bringing out their own EFB leisure batts imminently I could wait for a looksie at their spec - maybe.

Too many decisions

I may be missing the point somewhere but I wonder what make people carry so much amp/hrs to light up the average village?? My camper, 680 Adria, has one 95 Ahr leisure battery and is charged by the engine alternator and a 100W solar. I mainly wild camp and so far after seven year have never needed a hook up or have rune out of power. Admittedly I dont have Blackpool Illumination during the evening but there are the usual lights inside plus radio and tv and a microwave. After 45 years in the marine business one of the important factors is to make sure your leisure battery is fully recycled (ie. discharged and recharge well) and not just used within the top 10 or 20 percent. The danger here is the cyclic operation of the leisure battery will tend to only work in that range and not give out its full potential.

It’s that quality that makes me almost certain to specify a set, the price difference for me is less than £5 a battery as I can buy direct from Bosch or Yuasa. It’s just that the EFB seems a better battery but adding in the 4 yr warranty from Bosch will probably sell them for me.
As Exide and Banner are bringing out their own EFB leisure batts imminently I could wait for a looksie at their spec - maybe.

Too many decisions
Those EFD’s do look promising

@Wildstar it all depends what you run and how and when you use your van. We have a compressor fridge and diesel heating. I use the van in winter a lot as well as the rest of the year and my 3 x 90ah battery’s allow me to stay in the same spot for up to six days if fully charged when I set out but that period goes down longer I am out in winter as not getting the last 20%

I just want to play Devil's advocate here...

I know that there is an article from a non-authoritative source that gives widely disputed information about batteries. This article promotes the power frame batteries and they are a great battery, but they are not the super battery that they are being made out to be.

These batteries are not true deep cycle batteries as they can achieve 200 cycles if only discharged to 50%. Neither of these figures is different from a standard Banner battery. The Banner battery can be maintained to give it a longer service life the LFD90 cannot. A vent pipe for the banner battery costs £4 and just need a small hole drilled through the floor.

For people who want a maintenance-free battery and are not going to discharge past 50%, these are a great option.

When buying these batteries make sure you are buying from a supplier that gives 4 years warranty.

Conclusion

The Varta / Bosch LFD90 batteries are good for people who are not going to take them below 50% discharge. The price is good on these batteries and you can get a 4-year warranty. They do not need ventilation and are from a trusted brand. The Bosch version is also NCC B certified.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back