Leisure battery problem - pls help

• Thread starter Deleted member 5467
  • Start date

Deleted member 5467

Currently in Spain and just found our towels had rot spots on them. On looking into this we found the screws attached to the strap which hold the battery in place were covered in white fur (acid???). This is a self build very carefully done with a sealed gel battery. As far as we can see the battery isn’t leaking. The screws are holding the battery in place with a nylon strap screwed into fabric covered wood plinths. We have stupidly only taken the photo after cleaning off the white foam. Clearly not putting any towels next to it now. Anyone with professional knowledge who can tell us what happened, what we did wrong and what we need to do now would be appreciated have induced screws in question1755583E-553D-476D-ACCC-B2DD07B27C67.jpeg0FB7AAA6-9598-4CC5-9FE7-9F9689FC21FA.jpeg21FAA065-1051-477B-A0FB-B3F6E251EB21.jpeg

I'd hazard a guess at it being nothing to do with the battery, but the zinc coating on the screws reacting to the towels may be slightly damp.

Thanks but towels were dry & sitting in a shallow plastic tray which was unaffected, not sure if they slipped into screw but if they did they were dry.

Actually smelt of metal when we cleaned it off too

I meant the screws, (brain fart) as they are cold they could attract moisture from the air around them.

The screws are zinc and there are no vents as far as we remember on battery. Oddly this was installed two years ago with no issues until now or at least we don’t think so. Regards moisture on the screws I doubt that it’s been 32 degrees here dropping to 27 today LOL.
We are thinking stainless steel like you good people say, just would like to know a definite cause, especially as we don’t want this to happen again and especially when in foreign lands.

A plastic shield will stop contact at least

The zink is in fact an anode wherein contact or close to other metals further up the galvanic table will dissolve and leave a whitish powder, many i have changed both at my old job and now with boat engines.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back