Leisure battery use

Nick-Mandy

As a novice, I made an error by mentioning the "Generator" word last night.

So my Motorhome has a leisure battery (not sure if its solo or there's two) and a 100w solar panel. If I was to be camping somewhere with no electricity service, would I comfortably be able to use a TV at night, use limited lighting, water pump and fridge, for a few days without flattening the battery completely? I've heard the fridge uses lots of power; is this true?

Is it acceptable to run the stationary vehicle for an hour, to charge back the battery where there's no sun, or is this impractical and a waste of time.

Any advice?

Is fridge Battery Only ? (or Gas ?)
Which TV (or its power usage) how many hours TV ?

Not a good idea to run the engine !

Just guessing, but I think your fridge would run on gas when you are parked up, only using electric while you are driving, or plugged into the mains. When you stop driving, your fridge should automatically switch over to gas. Have you thought about ‘refillable’ gas systems as against ‘exchangeable’ bottles? You have my number if you need to chat Nick.
You would be able to camp comfortably with power from a solar panel, especially in this fine weather.
Modern campers use led bulbs, which use hardly any power at all. Your tv is probably low power as well.

Last edited:
Our van is 20 odd years old, has a 100 watt solar panel, 2 120 amp batteries and refillable gas. On our trip down through Spain / Portugal in January we spent 8 days ambling down and wild camped all the time and never ran out of gas or leccy. All the interior lights have been converted to led and the fridge (when it's not being menopausal) runs on gas when parked, mind you it was spraying diesel out as if it were free !!!!!! a fuel leak

As a novice, I made an error by mentioning the "Generator" word last night.

So my Motorhome has a leisure battery (not sure if its solo or there's two) and a 100w solar panel. If I was to be camping somewhere with no electricity service, would I comfortably be able to use a TV at night, use limited lighting, water pump and fridge, for a few days without flattening the battery completely? I've heard the fridge uses lots of power; is this true?

Is it acceptable to run the stationary vehicle for an hour, to charge back the battery where there's no sun, or is this impractical and a waste of time.

Any advice?
Going to make some general comments ...
It is worth checking what batteries you do have and their capacity and type so you know what to expect (and people can advise with more info of course). Hard to say how long a battery will last without knowing what battery it is.

And also, and this is more key, you can find out if they are maintanance-free or not. Many batteries fitted to older motorhomes (and even some much newer ones) are wet-cell unsealed batteries and need their battery acid checked and topped up periodically.

Just guessing, but I think your fridge would run on gas when you are parked up, only using electric while you are driving, or plugged into the mains. When you stop driving, your fridge should automatically switch over to gas. Have you thought about ‘refillable’ gas systems as against ‘exchangeable’ bottles? You have my number if you need to chat Nick.
You would be able to camp comfortably with power from a solar panel, especially in this fine weather.
Modern campers use led bulbs, which use hardly any power at all. Your tv is probably low power as well.

Thanks Rog,
I think mine has a refillable gas system. Very handy if it does automatically switch over to gas.
I'm so glad I don't need to buy a generator or worry about battery power.

Going to make some general comments ...
It is worth checking what batteries you do have and their capacity and type so you know what to expect (and people can advise with more info of course). Hard to say how long a battery will last without knowing what battery it is.

And also, and this is more key, you can find out if they are maintanance-free or not. Many batteries fitted to older motorhomes (and even some much newer ones) are wet-cell unsealed batteries and need their battery acid checked and topped up periodically.

Thanks Wildebus,
I read about this in another forum. I wouldn't want a wet cell battery on my unit.

Thanks Rog,
I think mine has a refillable gas system. Very handy if it does automatically switch over to gas.
I'm so glad I don't need to buy a generator or worry about battery power.
If you have a Gas-it or a Gaslow system fitted, or of course any other refillables, you will soon appreciate how affordable motorhoming can be.
To give you an idea, I carry two 13kg Gas-it tanks and filling them up from empty costs intro £22. The same situation with exchangeables would cost approx £60. We have some members with underslung tanks who only fill up once a year! Having said that, if you intend to travel overseas, the limit that you are able to carry on a ferry is 55 litres of lpg. Good Luck when you go for the pick up!

Dont start and let an engine idle as it glasses the bores,plus at least a 40/60 mile run to recharge batts up to almost full.
The fridge should be 12v gas and mains,and tv should be a 12v unit rather than a 230v running a inverter,i have two 90ah batts and 200w of s/panels,fridge is 230v with smart inverter.

If you have a Gas-it or a Gaslow system fitted, or of course any other refillables, you will soon appreciate how affordable motorhoming can be.
To give you an idea, I carry two 13kg Gas-it tanks and filling them up from empty costs intro £22. The same situation with exchangeables would cost approx £60. We have some members with underslung tanks who only fill up once a year! Having said that, if you intend to travel overseas, the limit that you are able to carry on a ferry is 55 litres of lpg. Good Luck when you go for the pick up!

Blimey Rog....You could power a space shuttle with that

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back