Lithium charging

It would help if you post more details BTB details make model output , lithium battery size make model ,present battery type size,

I'm thinking about next year and it's the principle that I'm after. From what you say it could be ok, and I was half expecting to be told that it is a definite no. If it could work I will get the b2b and engine battery details - I don't have a lithium lb at present and would obviously buy one compatible with the system. At least no-one has said that it's a no-no

A B2B is a very good idea with a LiFePO4 battery but you do need to make sure it has the right Li settings. It will also need to be wired in carefully to avoid creating a loop back to the engine battery through a pre existing split charge relay because the LiFePO4 battery and engine battery operate at different voltages.

A B2B is a very good idea with a LiFePO4 battery but you do need to make sure it has the right Li settings. It will also need to be wired in carefully to avoid creating a loop back to the engine battery through a pre existing split charge relay because the LiFePO4 battery and engine battery operate at different voltages.
Thanks for that. It is a Sterling B2B BB1230 which is only 18months old. I'll call them to get specific advice

Something to bear in mind ... you cannot use a Voltmeter or similar to guage the remaining capacity of a Lithium Battery.
You need to use a State of Charge Monitor - either external like a Victron BMV or Smartshunt, or an internal monitor that some Lithium Batteries are equipped with as part of the BMS.
If you don't have something suitable, you run the risk of having the battery run down to empty with no notice.

Something to bear in mind ... you cannot use a Voltmeter or similar to guage the remaining capacity of a Lithium Battery.
You need to use a State of Charge Monitor - either external like a Victron BMV or Smartshunt, or an internal monitor that some Lithium Batteries are equipped with as part of the BMS.
If you don't have something suitable, you run the risk of having the battery run down to empty with no notice.
Really?
I believe its more accurate as it doesn't drop as much under load? Assuming of course the BMS doesn't have a voltage stabiliser on it which I'm not aware of?
e.g. I've been given this as a rule of thumb

(of course, a decent shunt is preferred, BMS monitors less likely to be accurate, but a a guide with multimeter)

855915268_stateofcharge.jpg.506cb1111760925ea0af1c2fbf775d25.jpg

(Edit: Multimeter or digital voltage reading is the only way we get SoC out of the wifes ebike battery (36v, so 3x voltage above) - and those voltages (x3) are pretty accurate at showing SoC and tallies in with real world and fixed current recharge times )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back