Local "Aires" to you

Vanterrier

I have recently completed a questionnaire about our village development plan and suggested our riverside picnic site could be developed into a continental style Aire, perhaps adding a tap and waste disposal point at the already existing roadside public toilet nearby. I dont know how this will be received but if no-one suggests it...
Its already a Wildcamping poi.
So, I wondered how many other Parish Councils could be contacted in this way and how many of you have or would suggest local sites for this purpose?
Perhaps we could even come up with a template for such a suggestion pointing out potential benefits to the Parish and maybe detailing what would be required.
Just a thought
K ;)

I wrote to our local council a few months ago, suggesting that maybe one space could be provided in the car park, which was being revamped and resurfaced. I emphasised that it would encourage tourism and improve trade to local Bars, Restaurants and Shops etc mentioning that they were missing out on passing traffic, heading generally for the holiday areas of Norfolk. Their reply, so far, has been a resounding silence. Not really surprised, but a reply would have been nice.

I'm exchanging emails with someone in the local tourist office regarding this type of thing.

I gave her the link for Campra and pointed her to the report from Hawick which is very positive. If things can be achieved for a low cost there might be some improvement over time.

Quite happy hiding away for the time being.

Cheers

H

CamPra' ideals are good.
Now they have a web-site rather than just facebook may give them more "clout".

I do not share their (previous ?) tactics of "bombarding" council contact with emails especially "proforma type"
I belive a carefully worded and positive email to individuals (Councillors or Tourist officers) is likely to bear better fruit.
I have emailed the lead SNP councillor in the Musselborough ward (Fisherrow plans on hold) and will await a response.
I will then email the 3 other councillors (ELC) on an individual basis.
Bravo to Scotland who are pro-active in encouraging motorhome tourism and providing resources.

When we considered a trip up North a couple of years ago we rang or emailed councils on our route telling them of our plans and asked if there was anywhere we could park our 7.5m motorhome when we got there for a couple of days. A few councils responded positively telling us where overnight parking would be available, some just offered local campsites and some just plain said there was nowhere. We also tried this when visiting Wales ( though we had overnight stays planned ) and were directed to a few car parks for daytime stops.
At the very least, they become aware that people are planning visits and it might just make them think how they can accommodate you.
The more people do this, the more they might realise there is a demand to supply parking for responsible people.
Much better than proformas and letters to councillors/ MP’s ( who do nothing )

My email to a Musselburgh councillor was a complete waste.

His reply (cut down but not changed)

1 The reason why motorhomes etc cannot use these facilities is because it is unlawful in relation to use of common good land which must not frustrate unfettered use both this who live in the Town. I’m afraid you are poorly informed about why this should never have started in the first place.
East Lothian Council were asked and said no as the roads authority but one or two individuals continued despite it being made clear why they could not.

2 The reason why motorhomes etc cannot use these facilities is because it is unlawful in relation to use of common good land which must not frustrate unfettered use both this who live in the Town. I’m afraid you are poorly informed about why this should never have started in the first place.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back