Lockdown.. Some positive points.

Pauljenny

While the situation seems horrendous and our hearts go out to those having sad, bad times ..
We can see an upside.
Being both in the " At risk " category,
We can take some comfort In a situation that we haven't chosen and can't influence.
We've been in lockdown for 8 weeks , since my Pneumonia .
We've evolved a different pace of life .
We go shopping only when absolutely necessary, about every 15 days, to the " big "town.. about the size of Henley in Arden.
We get there early doors, when nobody's around.
Then down to the village, early again, mid week, meeting few people on the way. Not one a stranger.. We pick up Fresh fruit, eggs and veg. And back home.
We are online and phone loved ones and cronies.
We're busy in the garden .
Not having TV, we're free from the media frenzy.
We get one newspaper on line, . But treat most of the opinions and predictions with a big pinch of salt.

It's rather comforting that nobody will come and bother us, tempt us or cause us any problems.
Eventually, we'll need to buy shoes and clothing, to match our new slimmer shapes. Light bulbs, etc, that Lidl doesn't sell.
Tonight there wasn't much in the radio, so I tapped on Jango radio streaming.
Asked Management to suggest an artist/band/ genre..
She came up with..Eartha Kitt.
Oh !.. It's been a wonderful night .
Anybody suggest another theme for next Saturday.. ?

We've been enjoying watching really random people perform live. Maybe less than 100 people watching....

We find them by Facebook > watch > live, scroll down to live musicians.

Our best find has been John W Doyle.

I think some couples and family must be closer and reconnected to each other.
For us, it's pretty much the same, but :
As not able to eat out, our diet is probably more well thought out
We have spent even less money than we usually do while here
Dave has the perfect excuse never to stop doing diy jobs
I have spoken to my mum and Dave's mum as much as I always intend to, but never seemed to have enough time for!
I tried watercolour painting for the first time in my life
Read loads of books
Value of contact with friends is really appreciated, it will take me a long time to forget how important a hug or touch can be.
My lemon curd recipe is now refined and turns out right every time.......

Last edited:
Jenny makes Lemon Curd, Ruth..
Weapons Grade..!
She's not supposed to have a lot of it, on her low-carb diet..
So we barter it with the neighbours, for their home-made medronho. Jenny can't drink that, it's too strong ..
But I can !

Jenny makes Lemon Curd, Ruth..
Weapons Grade..!
She's not supposed to have a lot of it, on her low-carb diet..
So we barter it with the neighbours, for their home-made medronho. Jenny can't drink that, it's too strong ..
But I can !
Would have thought lemon curd was low carb.... I suppose it's the bread you spread it on? Crackers, that's the answer! Medronho too strong for me....but agua dente has lots of uses, quite often given a couple of litres to make limonceli with 😋 served straight from the freezer!

Last edited:
Lemon curd....
Jenny puts a fair amount of the lovely yellow sugar in Ruth.
That's what makes it sinful.🙄

Lemon curd....
Jenny puts a fair amount of the lovely yellow sugar in Ruth.
That's what makes it sinful.🙄

Aah, the sugar does make it a bit sinful! I reduced the amount I put in but I like it really tart. That yellow sugar has a nice flavour.

medronhno is seriously underestimated as an interpretive aid . i can speak fluent Portuguese after a few shots ,and have a great laugh down the bar . of course it's back to pidgin Portuguese the following day ,which is why i'm then shunned by the locals

After over 20 years in Portugal, I can now tell the difference between bad medronho and very bad medronho.
It's best use is when they slice up a churaçao , pour the fire water over it, and then set a light to it.
I only drink it to be polite.
I often end up polite as a newt.

I'm on the Mezzanine, under the Olive tree.
You can just see the remains of 4 vapour trails.. the first planes that we've noticed, since lockdown.
Big ones, flying high, along the coastline.
Could be Military.?
Are the Yanks planning something ? Or is it the first signs of a return to normality. ?

Good news:
The local authority news feed has been keeping us abreast of the latest virus figures.
For the last few days, there's been no great change, to report.
The headline, this morning, was...
" Faro Football Club has been promoted to their Premier League..
I'll take that ..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back