London campsites open all year

GMJ

Have any of you stayed at any campsites with easy access to London? The C&MC have two sites - Abbey Wood and Crystal Palace - that are open all year and claim easy access but I am happy to hear of any experiences of them or indeed any other sites you may have used.

I am just putting together some trips for the winter in case we are unable to get away to Spain any time soon. One will involve a 3 week tour including a week or so up in London village.

NB I am aware of the LEZ and it will cost me £15 each day I drive in it hopefully only the day we arrive and the day we leave).

Ta

Not been, but interested in information. The CC&C have two close to London. Walton on Thames and Chertsey. Wondering if anyone used one as a base and best way to travel into London village.

On another forum the Chertsey one was being described as being some distance from public transport so a taxi had to be used to get to the nearest station etc.

That's no good for me tbh.

On another forum the Chertsey one was being described as being some distance from public transport so a taxi had to be used to get to the nearest station etc.

That's no good for me tbh.
Thank you, reviews on CC&C hint at 20 min walk to station and 15 mins for Walton on Thames.
Can you remember the name of the forum thanks.

Some years now but nice site, Crystal Palace, and loads of buses right outside the gates if I remember right. The station is just over 1 kilometre away so a not an impossible walk. I think the bus pass works there.

Lee Valley Campsite is very good. Outside the LEZ and with a bus at the gate which goes to Walthamstow to connect with the Victoria line. Be aware that it closes for February.

Not been, but interested in information. The CC&C have two close to London. Walton on Thames and Chertsey. Wondering if anyone used one as a base and best way to travel into London village.
Walton on Thames site - I stayed there for a few days in September. It is actually outside the LEZ as well, which could be useful. around a mile and a half or so from the railway station and I would say it is more than 15 minutes walk (unless there is another station in the other direction that is closer, of course?)

Closeness to public transport is a bigger consideration to us than the LEZ charge tbh as we would spend that amount on taxi's (and more) if we are too far from a station/bus stop.

We are interested in using the C&CC Theobalds Park campsite. It's outside the LEZ, but, the bus stop is 1.5 miles away from the entrance.
We would need to use the bus, but can't find any other details. Is there a footway, for the 1.5 mile walk ?
Wouldn't fancy walking that distance, without a footway. Does anyone have any experience, of using the bus, from this site?

The Abbey Wood caravan and motorhome site is within the LEZ and it cost us a £100 a day extra to stay there as we didn’t know about it at the time as the LEZ area was changed. One of the wardens told us that someone had to pay £800 for theirs than as they didn’t know about the changes as well

• Thank You
Reactions: 2cv

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back