London ulez fine twats imho. (UPDATE)

The laird

Rally Organiser

We got bad news and had to head home from france quickly ,couldn't get on a ferry as they were all booked so headed to Le shuttle got onto motorway then got diverted through various routes sign posted follow diversion
So today in post fine for being inFarthing way way at 00*35 am £90 or £180 after 27 days or £280;
Cannot phone have to appeal by mail

We got bad news and had to head home from france quickly ,couldn't get on a ferry as they were all booked so headed to Le shuttle got onto motorway then got diverted through various routes sign posted follow diversion
So today in post fine for being inFarthing way way at 00*35 am £90 or £180 after 27 days or £280;
Cannot phone have to appeal by mail
Does the clock stop if you appeal?
Wondering if you should pay the money while still disputing just in case appeal fails to avoid the higher amount?

Appeal 100% should be upheld if following official diversion route but never know!

Does the clock stop if you appeal?
Wondering if you should pay the money while still disputing just in case appeal fails to avoid the higher amount?

Appeal 100% should be upheld if following official diversion route but never know!
Pretty sure it does with most appeals . Unfair if it doesn't

According to TFL...they turn off cameras for these diversions...see
Request ID: FOI-0311-2324
Date published: 26 May 2023

Whether this applies to the recent M25 closure, I don't know....Alec.
I'd like to think so as we only followed said routes frgn ridiculous to think the waste of time and money involved but I suppose if they get away with it profitable it will be

Firstly sorry that you had to curtail you trip in such circumstances. My daughter lives in London and has several such fines overturned on appeal when diverted, so whilst it is a pain I think that you should be successful.

Time you pulled all the cams down, just another money grabing scam, here they spray paint or cut the poles, even saw one being bent over with a digger, are are only for speeding and police observation to watch bandits and drug dealers move around.

They have com up with a much better plot to stymie the ULEZ cameras. They are attaching Bat boxes to them. It is illegal with draconian fines and imprisonment for anyone to disturb a bat box. It will be interesting to see how that nice Mr Khan gets round that one!
No doubt those in power will consult with Batman and the authorities will continue Robin the rank and file!!

The town shopkeepers pay rates, they should be getting on at the councils & withholding payment through lack of customers, before long the country will be littered with ghost towns if some sense isn't employed soon.

............when concluded, then invoice them for your time, and why not.
Ah but you are forgetting Clause 239 part 3(b) subsection 4 which says any successful appeal cannot claim compensation for loss or damage or expenses incurred in appealing. Notwithstanding your choices of action which multiply tenfold if you are claiming Human Rights, in which case you can appeal under Section 282 of the not-yet-passed-through-the-House-of-Lords Bill for Appealing Against Unfair Camera Violations Act. To be heard some time in the next Parliament, unless there is a different party in power at that time.
Vote Monster Raving Looney Party. You know it makes sense. Or at least, more sense than any of the current incumbents.

This happened to me last year. I found myself wanting to cross the Woolwich Ferry and encountered "Ferry Closed. Diversion - thatway". I didn't follow the diversion because it took me into one of the many zones-of-doom. It took me many hours of driving around avoiding any zones to get to the Other Side. Result: much consumption of the world's limited oil reserves and emissions of I-know-not pollutants which would have not occurred if I was allowed to drive in a non-LEZ / ULEZ line to where I wanted to go.

Last edited:
Ah but you are forgetting Clause 239 part 3(b) subsection 4 which says any successful appeal cannot claim compensation for loss or damage or expenses incurred in appealing. Notwithstanding your choices of action which multiply tenfold if you are claiming Human Rights, in which case you can appeal under Section 282 of the not-yet-passed-through-the-House-of-Lords Bill for Appealing Against Unfair Camera Violations Act. To be heard some time in the next Parliament, unless there is a different party in power at that time.
Vote Monster Raving Looney Party. You know it makes sense. Or at least, more sense than any of the current incumbents.

This happened to me last year. I found myself wanting to cross the Woolwich Ferry and encountered "Ferry Closed. Diversion - thatway". I didn't follow the diversion because it took me into one of the many zones-of-doom. It took me many hours of driving around avoiding any zones to get to the Other Side. Result: much consumption of the world's limited oil reserves and emissions of I-know-not pollutants which would have not occurred if I was allowed to drive in a non-LEZ / ULEZ line to where I wanted to go.
Yes, it does appear those in power have carte-blanche to continuously shaft the rank and file populace.

Back