Long Trips and Home Insurance

crumblygappers

We really want to go away for a long trip but we are not sure what to do about the house. So far our longest trip was two months and our house insurance allows for us to be away for up to 60days. We want to have the freedom to go away for as long as we like (up to 270 days which is the Comfort insurance limit) or to come home as soon as we like if we decide to. That means we can't let the house (do not want to do that anyway - too much faff). We really like to go very slowly with a max 120 miles per day, always on back roads, never pay motorway tolls, use low cost overnights (ideally free aires or wild camp). These are all very well but does need an awful lot of time to get long distances. It takes us a week just to get to Dover! I would love to go away all winter and come back in the late spring as Europe gets too hot for us - that could be a six month trip. What do other motorhomers do? How long do you go for at a time? Any advice about house insurance companies?

Will someone going in regularly satisfy your insurers? We have a 60 day absence with both a long-term let house had a holiday let house. Obviously water has to be either switched off or heating left on low during the winter. Then after after 60 days it has to be inspected.

We really want to go away for a long trip but we are not sure what to do about the house. So far our longest trip was two months and our house insurance allows for us to be away for up to 60days. We want to have the freedom to go away for as long as we like (up to 270 days which is the Comfort insurance limit) or to come home as soon as we like if we decide to. That means we can't let the house (do not want to do that anyway - too much faff). We really like to go very slowly with a max 120 miles per day, always on back roads, never pay motorway tolls, use low cost overnights (ideally free aires or wild camp). These are all very well but does need an awful lot of time to get long distances. It takes us a week just to get to Dover! I would love to go away all winter and come back in the late spring as Europe gets too hot for us - that could be a six month trip. What do other motorhomers do? How long do you go for at a time? Any advice about house insurance companies?

I'm a member of C&CC and find their building and contents cover suits my needs. I'm away at the moment so can't check my policy but I think cover is for at least 6 months unoccupied.

Colin ???

We are with Aviva which is 60 days, my kids go visit once a month and take a photo on there phone just to prove they were there. We also have a neighbour who goes in and complains about how cold it is in the house lol

You do need to be up front - I've noticed that a lot of policies are very specific about 'proper' occupation.
They're not happy with occasional overnights or weekends by family or even popping back yourself.
That's a good tip about CCC -thanks.

had a good quote & the 60 day condition meant i wouldn’t take it when i explained my daughter would be calling round every couple of weeks they said that would be adequate be up front & it’s on the record

That's good to hear - yes get then to confirm and with a bit of luck you'll not need it.

We switched to Admiral earlier this year as our old insurance had a 60 day limit and we planned a 65 day trip to Australia. Admiral gave us a 90 day limit but the water has to be isolated or the heating set to maintain a 12°C minimum and the property needs to be inspected every 7 days if we're away for more than 30 days. I understand that longer periods are possible but I'm unsure of the maximum they'll allow and the longer the maximum period unattended the higher the premium. HTH, Geoff

Aviva have 60 day limit for full cover, and, IIRC, either reset if someone stays overnight, or after 60d just certain things are excluded - like water damage, garden stuff etc - the rest is covered (I believe)

I also upgraded with them to 180d many moons ago - not sure that's still possible.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back