Looking for a new van

Steveandjulie

We are currently looking to replace our little kangoo pop top but were torn between getting older coach built or a newer model panel van conversion. We previously had a 1998 ldv coach built but couldn't get parts for it anymore. We have been looking on eBay at early 2000 model Peugeot /fiat coach built are spare parts easily available? Also been looking at Renault traffic and other brands of the same vehicle any one had any experience of these vans and what faults they have. Also seen quite a few Peugeot boxers 2008 onwards which look good value again any advice on this van would be greatly appreciated our budget is around£11000 plus our kangoo to px if find a suitable van at a dealer
Regards Steve

We are currently looking to replace our little kangoo pop top but were torn between getting older coach built or a newer model panel van conversion. We previously had a 1998 ldv coach built but couldn't get parts for it anymore. We have been looking on eBay at early 2000 model Peugeot /fiat coach built are spare parts easily available? Also been looking at Renault traffic and other brands of the same vehicle any one had any experience of these vans and what faults they have. Also seen quite a few Peugeot boxers 2008 onwards which look good value again any advice on this van would be greatly appreciated our budget is around£11000 plus our kangoo to px if find a suitable van at a dealer
Regards Steve

Spares for Peugeot/Fiat and readily available for most models going back many years ,, the coach built part will be down to the builder. ie Swift, Auto cruise, etc. ,, we also are looking to change, a thought has stuck us to buy a petrol model this time with the ongoing trend by many towns and citys to make charges for entering a clean air zone is only going to get more wide spread.
So hopefully looking forward to many more years of our motor homing I think petrol is the way to go, "just a thought" good luck in you hunting...

What are your DIY capabilities, maybe you could consider converting your own van, in which case you could go for a much newer van. Lots of help on our lovely site including Motorhome builder.
Unfortunately my diy skills wouldn't be good enough to try a self build .we've been looking at home conversion on eBay as like you say you get a much newer van than going the coach built route. But never having owned a large panel van conversion are they as warm as coach built?
Regards Steve

Spares for Peugeot/Fiat and readily available for most models going back many years ,, the coach built part will be down to the builder. ie Swift, Auto cruise, etc. ,, we also are looking to change, a thought has stuck us to buy a petrol model this time with the ongoing trend by many towns and citys to make charges for entering a clean air zone is only going to get more wide spread.
So hopefully looking forward to many more years of our motor homing I think petrol is the way to go, "just a thought" good luck in you hunting...
Thanks for your reply very helpful .with regard to petrol vans I agree going forward a petrol would be better with all the anti diesel restrictions ahead but petrol vans are rare apart from Japanese imports
Regards Steve

Beware older coach builds without damp certificates....they may be badly rotted. Go for a reputable panel van conversion ,any of the Sevel based ones will last well.

Unfortunately my diy skills wouldn't be good enough to try a self build .we've been looking at home conversion on eBay as like you say you get a much newer van than going the coach built route. But never having owned a large panel van conversion are they as warm as coach built?
Regards Steve
My van is toasty, but that's because of the way I built it, with particular attention to the insulation. I did buy a coach-built once as a refurbishment project, but it was so rotten, it turned into a full rebuild. So yes it's a minefield out there buying a used motor-home, but don't be put off, there are a lot of good vans to be had.

We are converting a panel van Citroen relay enterprise,( getting someone to do it for us this time) and having a diesel heater installed plus it will be very well insulated as a priority. Keeps it cool in heat and warm in cold! It might be worth looking into buying a panel van and paying to have it done to your needs but would need a good van as a base vehicle. Lots of be converters around, but we didn't want a poptop camper. Good luck!

Beware older coach builds without damp certificates....they may be badly rotted. Go for a reputable panel van conversion ,any of the Sevel based ones will last well.
The risk of damp is putting me off older coach built .so looking at panel van conversion mainly.is sevel based the newer shape fiat and Peugeot ?
Regards Steve

My van is toasty, but that's because of the way I built it, with particular attention to the insulation. I did buy a coach-built once as a refurbishment project, but it was so rotten, it turned into a full rebuild. So yes it's a minefield out there buying a used motor-home, but don't be put off, there are a lot of good vans to be had.
Thanks for the advice (y)

We are converting a panel van Citroen relay enterprise,( getting someone to do it for us this time) and having a diesel heater installed plus it will be very well insulated as a priority. Keeps it cool in heat and warm in cold! It might be worth looking into buying a panel van and paying to have it done to your needs but would need a good van as a base vehicle. Lots of be converters around, but we didn't want a poptop camper. Good luck!
Was thinking of getting a panel van converted how long does it take roughly?
The other option I was thinking was buying an ex welfare van that's kitted out with cooking facilities and diesel heater some even have toilet fitted and convert seating area to a pull out bed any one done this?

Our converter wants it for five weeks. He thinks it will take four but likes to allow more especially as we ( him as well!) keep having "ideas", he said he could do it in less if we were in a big rush. But that is a complete conversion from a new base vehicle. Also had several meetings to discuss , alter, choose etc. Other company we went to said three weeks. I know he does partial conversions, we were initially just going to get only the windows, roof light, electrics and gas done by him. But Dave just has not got time to do the rest.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back