Lowdhams

AdriaTwin

Free Member

Has anyone recent experience of dealing Service dept. At Lowdhams ?. The reason I ask is as follows. I rang today to try book a habitation service before 4 th September which is anniversary of first registration. Hymer is still under warranty and therefore requires annual hab.service and damp check. I preferred this was done in August so we could go on hols beginning of September. I was told their service dept was fully booked until November !!! I debated this on phone regarding implications for warranty. Apparently they found out that Hymer are allowing 2 months grace on this subject. So suddenly they offered dates in mid October !!!! So with no choice I accepted a mid October date. They then said it was company policy to keep vehicle for a WEEK for a habitation service.
I'm astonished at these arrangements. On previous motorhomes hab. Services done same day as booked in (2-3 hours), and date booked max time a month on advanced. Anyone had similar experiences with Lowdhams?

Do you have to have the hab check done with Lowdhams? If not, I'd definitely shop around now that you've got a back-up date. Irrespective of availability, my local place at least does check-ups in one day... not that I've had one for ages on an old van like mine but I was more cautious when she was new to me :giggle: Good luck with it all!

Lowdhams Huddersfield is local (10 miles) so easy to get to. Next nearest hymer dealers is Travelworld Stafford which would mean a round trip of approx 150 miles

My dealer also has a waiting list and given this years rise in popularity of vans, this is to be expected. They also told me that both last year and this, my manufacturer was understanding about service and warranty dates. I only hope I don't have to test this.

My dealer also expects the van to be completely empty too, and I was happy to do this for them.

Not sure what that post is all about.

I didn't click the link either.

The world's gone crazy.. Accept it.
I thought it was just me.
Have you tried your nearest mobile repairer..?

Not Lowdhams but I always book hab services at least 6 months in advance. The time slots required to maintain the warranty are known from new. Even in pre covid times the Hymer and Carthago dealers I have used asked for personal belongings to be removed so that they can get access for damp checks, they don’t like poking around your personal stuff and it takes longer if they have to keep moving things around. Covid makes things even more difficult.

We book a storage container and unload everything before we take it in. Reloading afterwards is an opportunity to review whether we are carrying stuff we don’t need.

This year I will book the 2022 services when I pick it up from the 2021 one.

I am not defending Lowdhams, the sales team should have warned you of the need to book hab services early. Covid just makes matters worse.

Lowdhams Huddersfield is local (10 miles) so easy to get to. Next nearest hymer dealers is Travelworld Stafford which would mean a round trip of approx 150 miles
Have you asked Travelworld what their lead in time is for the service, might make it worth the trip if they can do it in a day. We don't use Travelworld, but our annual hab check, plus service, plus MOT only takes around 6 hours including lunch break. That's a full Carthago hab check as well. We just put our gear into bags and re-pack as we continue our travels. We don't take everything out, just enough so that they can access the important bits. Obviously dealers vary 🙄🙄

What a faff, why buy a Motorhome that is likely to leak and need annual checks, or a manufacturer that doesn’t allow other independent checks to be done,
Yes it is a bit of a faff but I didn’t “buy a motorhome that is likely to leak”. I bought one that has a reputation for good construction. So far I have kept to the terms of the warranty and will probably continue to do so. When I traded my Hymer in the price I was given was conditional on it having a full service history because then they would then sell it from their own forecourt. Another dealer offered me £8,000 less because he would have sold it to a trader.

When I went to trade mine in they didn't care less about the service history or extras that were on it that were worth thousands, they just gave me a price, I sold it privately within a week for thousands and thousands more, if its a nice van and prices fairly then it will sell quickly, why let some slime ball make thousands with a phone call?
We all have our own way of evaluating a deal and I certainly wouldn’t enter into one if I felt I was being ripped off. Neither would I describe someone as a ”slime ball” for making a few grand on a deal worth many many more thousands.

Our local dealer keeps the MH for 6 days when doing a hab check, as a Covid precaution. It has to get there 3 days before the test day to ensure it's Covid free.

They have never had any issue with our stuff being in there and have always tested as per normal. This year though they said they couldn't damp test in our garage as it was full of stuff (they didn't ask us to empty it first mind). Fair enough but the lazy sods didn't even test the doors into the garage which were obviously free of stuff, as they were doors!

I'd gladly shop around however it has to be done by an A-T dealer due to the warranty...which is annoying as they deregulated this with car servicing many moons ago didn't they? I guess hab checks are different though. However if whomever does it is certified/qualified by ...I don't know, say the NCC for example although there may be a better body out there - then why can't this suffice??

However if whomever does it is certified/qualified by ...I don't know, say the NCC for example although there may be a better body out there - then why can't this suffice??
I can’t see the NCC being the body. The NCC is the UK trade body for the caravan and motorhome industry and is hardly likely to want to undermine the servicing monopoly their members enjoy. They represent the manufacturers not the consumer. They are also way out of date on some issues e.g. insisting on shutting down living area electrics when the engine is running. Frankly I suspect they are the source of some of our problems, not the solution.

Has anyone recent experience of dealing Service dept. At Lowdhams ?. The reason I ask is as follows. I rang today to try book a habitation service before 4 th September which is anniversary of first registration. Hymer is still under warranty and therefore requires annual hab.service and damp check. I preferred this was done in August so we could go on hols beginning of September. I was told their service dept was fully booked until November !!! I debated this on phone regarding implications for warranty. Apparently they found out that Hymer are allowing 2 months grace on this subject. So suddenly they offered dates in mid October !!!! So with no choice I accepted a mid October date. They then said it was company policy to keep vehicle for a WEEK for a habitation service.
I'm astonished at these arrangements. On previous motorhomes hab. Services done same day as booked in (2-3 hours), and date booked max time a month on advanced. Anyone had similar experiences with Lowdhams?
Not with Lowdens. We take our Motorhome elsewhere but I think all dealerships are struggling with timescales at the moment as we had to book ours in ages ahead. I think it was a shame that they couldn’t stay open during lockdown to carry out services and repairs like garages could as there is now a big backlog. We are also waiting for a job to be completed under warranty. It is now going in Sept been waiting since Oct last year!

Huddersfield branch had my van for 7 days to do a habit check. Forgot to do agreed warranty work. Staff rude, incompetent and charged twice as much as the independent I now use. So in answer to your question, give them a wide berth. I use Caravan Andy, does a great job, comes to site and takes 2-3 hours not 7 days at a realistic price.

Took our Carthago to Southdowns for a Damp Check. Fully loaded as we were on holiday. No problem whatsoever. They used an aresol sanitiser in the MH first and then just got on with it. Simple really. You certainly don't need a habitation check with a Hymer it's just a money spinner for the Dealer. They certainly don't have anything like it in Europe. As for travelling its about 360 mile round trip to Southdowns in Portsmouth from Nottingham so we just combine it with something else. Only takes just over an hour so we sit and wait.

As for your question regarding the Service Dept at Lowdham all I can say is good luck. They managed to generate more problems than they fixed with a Swift we bought. What a joke. Take it in for a photoshoot so they can get authorisation to do the work. Sat in their waiting area for about 2.5 hours then someone came out and asked where we were parked. Took all of 10 minutes to photograph the bits that needed fixing. This could only be done Mon - Fri so had to have the day off work.

Last edited:
I saw this thread on LOWDHAMS so felt I had to copy this on here:

We've just bought a van from the unfortunate vendors who originally purchased it from Lowdhams last November. This brief experience means that we wouldn't touch Lowdham's with a barge pole. Here's why:
  1. They mislead our vendors by telling them they were the 2nd owners from new (they were the fourth);
  2. They assured them that the just over 2-year old van they bought had the full warranty/hab checks etc. done in the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) even though we found out, while buying the van, that Lowdham's had given them an old PDI check (from a previous owner) which said habitation/damp check on it but this was not the formal Chausson-required habitation check (even though Lowdhams are recognised Chausson dealers), so the 7-year Chausson warranty was actually void. When we asked Lowdham's about the hab check and the warranty they insisted it had been done but that it couldn't be transferred to us as we were the THIRD owners and it only goes as far as the second (see point 1 and point 5 below);
  3. After we came back with "the water ingress warranty, like the Ford warranty belongs to the van not the owner" they changed tactic, and now blamed the first owner (who owned it for 2 years) for not having done it in time so missing the deadline - effectively "not our fault guv!". This is despite our then finding out that owing to Covid, Chausson like many other manufacturers gave a 6-month grace period to do the check and maintain the warranty. The van was due it's hab check in May 2021. Lowdhams actually sold this van THREE times in that 6-month period, so it was in their care during all that time and they still had the chance to do it before selling it to our vendors (in November 2021) so they lied to our face and, sadly to our vendors;
  4. We are the ones who flagged up all these discrepancies as the vendors hadn't noticed that the 3 sheets of paperwork that Lowdhams had given them (that's all they got apart from the usual manuals etc. that every van had) did not actually prove that Lowdhams had done the work, and it definitely wasn't the paperwork for the PDI they claimed to have done in November (when our vendors bought the van from them, but from JUNE (so 2 owners ago!). This was obvious to us because the name and address of the owner was blacked out, the date said June 2021 and the mileage did not correspond with the vendors' V5.
  5. It wasn't until we paid for a pre-sale online vehicle check, that we discovered that there had been 3 owners before our vendors (so they were the fourth owners of the vehicle) - the two previous owners had owned the van for less than 2 months each respectively. The vendors had been told that they were the second owners, so the assumption was that perhaps the extra owners were the dealership, between sales, but when pressed, Lowdhams admitted that the vehicle had never been registered with the dealership, so these were individual private owners. However, the van had gone back and forth to Lowdhams betweeen all these sales and they would easily have had time to do the habitation check properly (as above) if they had been honest
  6. when the van went in for its MOT a couple of weeks ago - Lowdham's finally repaired the two blinds that were already broken when our vendors had originally purchased the van in November - I am convinced that they only did this because they wanted them to be able to sell this van quickly in order for them to purchase the new one which was already on order from Lowdhams, otherwise I honestly think our vendors would still be waiting for those two blinds to be repaired.
That's just what we've encountered over a 2-week period. The only reason we finally agreed to purchase this van was because it looks very sound, it is exactly what we wanted, it has the remains of its 1-year warranty (until next November) that it was sold with and which is transferable, and the vendors dropped the price enough that we felt we could take the risk, otherwise we would have walked away. Our plan is to now to get a proper habitation check done by a reputable dealer - RIVER MOTORHOMES – whose customer service and reputation puts Lowdhams to shame - in fact we have already booked her in for this as our damp meter was reading 40% in one spot of the rear garage, showing a potential cause for concern. That way, should any serious (and expensive) nasties appear, we are still covered by the warranty and can get everything fixed by River Motorhomes before the warranty runs out.

I feel very sorry for our vendors as they seemed very decent, honest people who were effectively hoodwinked and didn't deserve to be treated the way Lowdhams treated them and I just hope that, armed with this information, they have managed to get their deposit back and can go elsewhere because Lowdham's don't deserve their (or anyone else's) custom. Shocking dealership.

We bought a new Hymer B898sl from Lowdhams in 2017 all I can say is dreadful service even worse than Brownhills, don’t go anywhere near them they will mess you about time and time again, then you will have to put right what they have messed up☹️

I saw this thread on LOWDHAMS so felt I had to copy this on here:

We've just bought a van from the unfortunate vendors who originally purchased it from Lowdhams last November. This brief experience means that we wouldn't touch Lowdham's with a barge pole. Here's why:
  1. They mislead our vendors by telling them they were the 2nd owners from new (they were the fourth);
  2. They assured them that the just over 2-year old van they bought had the full warranty/hab checks etc. done in the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) even though we found out, while buying the van, that Lowdham's had given them an old PDI check (from a previous owner) which said habitation/damp check on it but this was not the formal Chausson-required habitation check (even though Lowdhams are recognised Chausson dealers), so the 7-year Chausson warranty was actually void. When we asked Lowdham's about the hab check and the warranty they insisted it had been done but that it couldn't be transferred to us as we were the THIRD owners and it only goes as far as the second (see point 1 and point 5 below);
  3. After we came back with "the water ingress warranty, like the Ford warranty belongs to the van not the owner" they changed tactic, and now blamed the first owner (who owned it for 2 years) for not having done it in time so missing the deadline - effectively "not our fault guv!". This is despite our then finding out that owing to Covid, Chausson like many other manufacturers gave a 6-month grace period to do the check and maintain the warranty. The van was due it's hab check in May 2021. Lowdhams actually sold this van THREE times in that 6-month period, so it was in their care during all that time and they still had the chance to do it before selling it to our vendors (in November 2021) so they lied to our face and, sadly to our vendors;
  4. We are the ones who flagged up all these discrepancies as the vendors hadn't noticed that the 3 sheets of paperwork that Lowdhams had given them (that's all they got apart from the usual manuals etc. that every van had) did not actually prove that Lowdhams had done the work, and it definitely wasn't the paperwork for the PDI they claimed to have done in November (when our vendors bought the van from them, but from JUNE (so 2 owners ago!). This was obvious to us because the name and address of the owner was blacked out, the date said June 2021 and the mileage did not correspond with the vendors' V5.
  5. It wasn't until we paid for a pre-sale online vehicle check, that we discovered that there had been 3 owners before our vendors (so they were the fourth owners of the vehicle) - the two previous owners had owned the van for less than 2 months each respectively. The vendors had been told that they were the second owners, so the assumption was that perhaps the extra owners were the dealership, between sales, but when pressed, Lowdhams admitted that the vehicle had never been registered with the dealership, so these were individual private owners. However, the van had gone back and forth to Lowdhams betweeen all these sales and they would easily have had time to do the habitation check properly (as above) if they had been honest
  6. when the van went in for its MOT a couple of weeks ago - Lowdham's finally repaired the two blinds that were already broken when our vendors had originally purchased the van in November - I am convinced that they only did this because they wanted them to be able to sell this van quickly in order for them to purchase the new one which was already on order from Lowdhams, otherwise I honestly think our vendors would still be waiting for those two blinds to be repaired.
That's just what we've encountered over a 2-week period. The only reason we finally agreed to purchase this van was because it looks very sound, it is exactly what we wanted, it has the remains of its 1-year warranty (until next November) that it was sold with and which is transferable, and the vendors dropped the price enough that we felt we could take the risk, otherwise we would have walked away. Our plan is to now to get a proper habitation check done by a reputable dealer - RIVER MOTORHOMES – whose customer service and reputation puts Lowdhams to shame - in fact we have already booked her in for this as our damp meter was reading 40% in one spot of the rear garage, showing a potential cause for concern. That way, should any serious (and expensive) nasties appear, we are still covered by the warranty and can get everything fixed by River Motorhomes before the warranty runs out.

I feel very sorry for our vendors as they seemed very decent, honest people who were effectively hoodwinked and didn't deserve to be treated the way Lowdhams treated them and I just hope that, armed with this information, they have managed to get their deposit back and can go elsewhere because Lowdham's don't deserve their (or anyone else's) custom. Shocking dealership.
UPDATE: Lowdhams deserve every critical word of what I wrote above. We have now taken our van to River Motorhomes who have found serious damp - up to 90% - around the garage door and also very high around the passenger side window, next to the dinette seats. Result is that we have to take it in for all these panels to be ripped out and replaced. Luckily there was still a few months' warranty left from when our vendors bought from Lowdhams, but if this happens again and we can't get water ingress added to our insurance we are screwed as the 7-year Chausson warranty is gone for good. Our only consolation is that River have such a good reputation, we are confident that the problems will be fixed and the van will come back sound and damp-free for the future.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back