LPG tank level indication - how?

Vanterrier

I have a Gasit LPG underslung tank of 16 lit (@80%) capacity. I also have an LED level indicator which is purely decorative :rolleyes: there is a gauge on the tank itself but of course being underslung, that's not a practical indicator. I have a feel for how much gas we use and remember how long it has been since last filling up, but that relies on my memory so again not brilliant.
Has anyone discovered a reliable and reasonably accurate way of indicating gas levels in-doors?

Or how do you do it?

K ;)

I believe you have an Auto-sleeper. They normally fit 25 litre tanks which at 80% gives you 20 litres. Are you sure yours is a 20 litre tank? Doesn't help with your guage question of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I measured the length and it is around 710mm so is the 20 lit (16@80%) tank.

It's a 5 LED Gms indicator which gasit have now replaced with a 9 led unit which is a retro fit upgrade, but if the sender is duff then I would have 9 wrong led's instead of 5.

I can see a test of the sender on the gasit website so will give that a go to see if I can get the 5 led indicator to work, then I might consider upgrading to the 9 led.

Currently the 5 led's stay lit even though the on tank gauge shows the level as below half. Last time they changed they went from 5 to 1 in one day and when I filled up I only got 8 litres in... Hence my lack of confidence.

I would still be interested in how others check their levels.

K ;)

I've also got the older guage ( there is only 4 like LEDs, the top 'light' is not a light but simply a 'sun' symbol). Mine works quite weoll. I filled up on Monday . There was 3 lights on which means somewhere around three-quarters full. It took only 4.7 litres but as it always under-reads I'm not worried that I'll run out. Mine is a 25 litre tank (20 at 80%).

I fitted a 38ltr underslung tank when I put the van together it’s has a 9 led gauge in the wardrobe and has worked great never ran out of gas yet in 6 years .4483644837

Last edited:
Question on ASOF wanting a Cleo tip up basin, same question on here (or Wild).

I do want a cleo tip up sink but I am not on ASOF as I don't have an AS...

K ;)

What a coincidence. The two posts asking appeared within 24 hours.

I actually have one but it has a rounded front edge whereas the Cleo is squarer. A used complete Cleo went on eBay only yesterday for £78. They do come up occasionally. This any good...

If you think the 'out of sight' level gauge is accuarate why not install a wee camera pointing at it? No doubt could be wired into any reversing camera you might have so you can have a quick peek....

Nice idea but beyond my ability I think... The gauge is beneath a cover so I would need to illuminate it for a camera for which there is no room :(
I will remove the gauge ( it's the sender for the LED display) and test it using a magnet to rotate the needle which should change the LED display. The float in the tank has a magnet which moves the sender magnet and these can apparently become misaligned so it might be just a case of aligning the sender magnet with the float magnet then the LED display should match the gauge/sender.
Fingers crossed its as simple as that.
On Grandad duties for next couple of days so it will be next week before I can do that.
K ;)

Nice idea but beyond my ability I think... The gauge is beneath a cover so I would need to illuminate it for a camera for which there is no room :(
I will remove the gauge ( it's the sender for the LED display) and test it using a magnet to rotate the needle which should change the LED display. The float in the tank has a magnet which moves the sender magnet and these can apparently become misaligned so it might be just a case of aligning the sender magnet with the float magnet then the LED display should match the gauge/sender.
Fingers crossed its as simple as that.
On Grandad duties for next couple of days so it will be next week before I can do that.
K ;)
Just about all these tiny cameras come with built in 'night mode' led lights around the lens so that shouldn't be a problem... Good luck with it whichever way you choose :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back