LRSx2

Trotter

Long roadSouthx2
T’other one got too long and gone a bit off thread. The situation is as of now:-
1 Ferry booked. 1000 sailing New Haven- Dieppe Sunday 3/3/19. If anyone else on this crossing, let me know.
2 IPDx 2 sourced . 1949 for Spain, 1968 everywhere else.
3 travel insurance
4 Green card
5 Cash sorted
For items 6- 101 I’ll be using Annie’s list, “ Have I forgot anything “ very useful.

If anyone, apart from me, is interested, I’ll try to keep a log on here. Having said that. I’m still 11 working days, 20 actual days from the big scary trip.

..................... Having said that. I’m still 11 working days, 20 actual days from the big scary trip.

OK, I'll admit it.

I always travel with an A4 piece of paper (folded in half along it's long side) with a big arrow and DRIVE RIGHT written on it in bold. Whenever I turn off the engine, I always put it in front of the instrument panel. It's my way of preventing starting up in the morning in the middle of no-where, bleary eyed, and driving off on the wrong side of the road.

Once you get on the road and use the first roundabout, you'll wonder why you were ever apprehensive, and have a fabulous holiday.

Good going Del you are almost at D day now :)

With regard to keeping on the correct side of the road, for me it was always coming out of supermarket car parks when I was more likely to go wrong. Don’t worry, be happy :)

Like every thing else in this life, “ Wasn’t my fault, honest.”. Or. A foreign equivalent.?

D day sounds so much better than bidet ?

Written route card out for the second time. I improved it. Modification 3, 4 and 5 await. As this route meanders, I don’t think I can trust the sat nav.
From Bordeaux I reckon I’ll have to use the toll A63 into Spain as far as Lasarte J24 ,then A15, toll AP15 - AP68 to the East Coast.
Alternatively, depending on weather conditions, I don’t do snow, I may try going over the Sierras.
I know I’ve plenty of time, but I do want to get some warm weather ASAP. If you think you know of a better route to the East Coast between Barcelona and Valencia. Let me know, but keep it simple please.

Have found a second route going via Orleans and Clemont Ferrand, to Barcelona What do you think. Would this be better than Poitiers, Bordeaux?
Yes I know, I’m over thinking it.

Just set sat Nav for Valencia Del then wander where you want letting it point you in the general direction :)

To bloody easy. I want to avoid toll roads wherever possible

Spent a couple of minutes looking at google maps . Putting in “ avoid toll” gives me a driving time of 17 hours from Dieppe to Barcelona. I can live with that. A comfortable 3/4 day drive.
At work atm, will check my garmin for the toll free option tomorrow morning before I leave for work.
This will be my first solo trip abroad, yes I’m a little nervous and I do know that I’m over thinking it. Truth is, I want to be gone.

If it makes you feel any better, Mrs HS loves our van, but doesn't like being away from home for what she considers too long.

So for those journeys I travel solo too. I find I am so busy with navigating, driving, cooking, washing up, laundry, downloading and annotating photos, and family communication, that time flashes by.

She recognises that I have a need to travel and let's me get on with it. Whilst I'm away, she takes shorter trips with her sister which is what they like.

Set your sat nav to "No tolls". Works for me. If you want another check use via Michelin as they do a variety of different roads giving time and costs. Last year I did one section of toll road in Spain on the way back as it saved about four hours driving and only cost 8.90 euros.

Set your sat nav to "No tolls". Works for me. If you want another check use via Michelin as they do a variety of different roads giving time and costs. Last year I did one section of toll road in Spain on the way back as it saved about four hours driving and only cost 8.90 euros.
Clearly swings and roundabouts init. Luckily I’ll be in no hurry. I read somewhere, staying off tolls I’ll see more of the real France.
Having said that, I’ve no wish to see the real Paris. Any money spent on avoiding that would be well worth it.
In Garmin I trust.

If it makes you feel any better, Mrs HS loves our van, but doesn't like being away from home for what she considers too long.

So for those journeys I travel solo too. I find I am so busy with navigating, driving, cooking, washing up, laundry, downloading and annotating photos, and family communication, that time flashes by.

She recognises that I have a need to travel and let's me get on with it. Whilst I'm away, she takes shorter trips with her sister which is what they like.

Nik, my better half, has yet to spend any time in the van. We’ve had some care issues she’s been helping out with that are on going. I owe her my thanks for letting me go on my own. With a bit of luck, she will fly out and spend a week or st, once I get to Spain.
Like you I have the need to see what’s on the other side of the hill. Plus, I’m taking three months off work driving, to go, eh, driving. Difficult to work that out init.
Using the van has given me the cooking skills that must have been lying dormant. My beef casserole is to die for. Probably not the best analogy I know, lol. I’m a wizz with my mini pressure cooker. Happy to self cater for three months.
Think I’ve said elsewhere, I’ve had the van for a year now, not regretted a minute. 5000 miles last year. I’ve insurances it for 10000 this year. Gotta be done.

Blaye nr Bordeaux is quite quaint. Right by the river, aire outside the old convent remains. If you go down west France route. ?

Blaye nr Bordeaux is quite quaint. Right by the river, aire outside the old convent remains. If you go down west France route. ?
Might come back that way. Either that or Andorra

Take that route list and throw it away.

Just find the next place to stay each morning and drive it, then stop, get the tea on and chill the 'f' out.

;)

Perfect preparation prevents pi** poor performance.
Or so I’m told.
To be really honest, if I didn’t flap about, how to do the trip, I’d fret that there’s still SIXTEEN days left before I can go.??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back