M/H manufacturers just don't think, do they!

grath

I am sure some of the designers don't use vans or just don't think!
Recently I changed the very long arm mirrors for short arms and it does make a difference! More relaxed driving in tight places.
Today, I raised the wardrobe hanging rail 3 inches. Yes three inches of previous wasted space!
Then I put a shelf type of false bottom above the water tank which is under an internal step.
Previously, only light things could go there, but now bottles of wine !🍷

Last edited:

HurricaneSmith

I used to think the same thing until I worked in the same organisation as designers.

I found the ones I knew had ridiculously short deadlines to meet, together with tight cost targets. If they failed to achieve them and other parameters it significantly affected their career prospects. They often knew their designs had minor flaws in them, but by then the drawings had been signed off and frozen.

Didn't make it right, of course, but their workload had already been extended for the next set of products.

grath

Yes, I understand what you say, but
Why order all vans with same length mirrors, bearing in mind that Exsis type (other brands are available) narrow vans don't need long arm mirrors. And bearing in mind they are not just the odd one off van, but built in hundreds, possibly thousands. Just easier to stock order one standard type!
Then in my instance, the hanging rail in a 3/4 length wardrobe, fitted 3 inches lower than it could have been. Long garments needed to be folded!
Just my examples, I am sure others will have more!
Pretty basic things really with little design thought!

grath

But , Grath...then you wouldn't have "little jobs" to keep you busy! Whatever we have, Dave always redesigns it a little....sometimes a lot! Keeps him out of my hair!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I must admit, I wouldn't have a van if I couldn't keep it at home. Some of the little jobs I do would take a lot of 2ing and throwing if in storage
Far too much hassle, maybe I have been spoilt having the room
But I can just nip out to do a little job or check something.
I do feel for folks who can't and I feel even more for owners who need to rely on a dealer to do things

Barge1914

What’s more they don’t invite feedback and ignore it and don’t even acknowledge it when it’s volunteered. They go on and on repeating the same mistakes year after year. Giving more thought to pointless bells and whistles, and go faster stripes instead of getting the fundamentals right... perhaps they reckon to bedazzle the first time buyer with trivia, who they don’t expect to recognise what’s important? Meanwhile, seriously, who else has decided to forego buying a new van because they a) find the newly ‘designed’ ones worse than what they’ve got now, and b) can’t be bothered with the faff of putting right all the seemingly inevitable cock-ups that come with a new van? I wonder how many sales they lose to second/third time buyers through constantly pandering to the unwitting.

grath

Design is often a compromise. If I raised my wardrobe rail by 3 inches (76mm) my wife would not be able to reach it. What suits some may not suit others.
Mrs Grath can't reach ours, she couldn't before I raised it, but she does have the half wardrobe for herself and I can reach what she wants from the 3/4 wardrobe.
The extra 3 inches of storage is better for us and we do have shelving under which is height adjustable,

grath

What’s more they don’t invite feedback and ignore it and don’t even acknowledge it when it’s volunteered. They go on and on repeating the same mistakes year after year. Giving more thought to pointless bells and whistles, and go faster stripes instead of getting the fundamentals right... perhaps they reckon to bedazzle the first time buyer with trivia, who they don’t expect to recognise what’s important? Meanwhile, seriously, who else has decided to forego buying a new van because they a) find the newly ‘designed’ ones worse than what they’ve got now, and b) can’t be bothered with the faff of putting right all the seemingly inevitable cock-ups that come with a new van? I wonder how many sales they lose to second/third time buyers through constantly pandering to the unwitting.
Totally agree and after nearly 18 months with our new van, I have just about got it right with no known problems
At a recent Hymer new dealership opening where the German Management were there, I tried to give them feed back about their new positioning of water tanks. (Fresh behind the back axle and waste to the front) and they just did not want to know or understand the weight problem.

Caz

Whoever designed mine needs their heads examined. Why put a gas locker underneath the bed in the middle of the van - bonkers. In newer models it has been re-positioned - but that doesn't help me!

trevskoda

Who ever thought of putting the engine in the front and transverse,silly sods should have put it at the rear and saved more money on power steering,and yes i am sober.

Okta

Who ever thought of putting the engine in the front and transverse,silly sods should have put it at the rear and saved more money on power steering,and yes i am sober.
Why not put the steering at the rear and leave the engine at the front, that way you do away with the need for reverse parallel parking. I’m sober too but it doesn’t stop me making daft suggestions.

grath

Why not put the steering at the rear and leave the engine at the front, that way you do away with the need for reverse parallel parking. I’m sober too but it doesn’t stop me making daft suggestions.
I drove a mobile crane with steering at the rear a long time ago.
Similar to been at the helm of a boat!

grath

Back to thread
I have noticed a trend with Hymer, I say Hymer as they are the vans I tend to look at, others might be similar
The trend is to cheapen the interior by newer models having less cupboard doors and shelving where a cupboard used to be on for example last years model.
But many of the shelves are unusable during transit due to not having a high enough lip to stop stuff flying off.

Another bad design we found when a kitchen draw got jammed
On the inside of the draw, the catch lever needs to go down to open the catch and oin our case a tin had jammed under the catch.
No matter how I tried to shake the van about or bang on the draw, it would not open and in the end I needed to drill a very small hole in the face of the draw under the catch. Then I could dislodge what I found to be a tin.
Luckily the hole is under the catch and cannot be seen unless a persons eyes are on the floor
Afterwards, I fitted protection under all draw catches, but I see new vans are still the same

Last edited:

Okta

I drove a mobile crane with steering at the rear a long time ago.
Similar to been at the helm of a boat!
I enjoyed my boating days, just like a motorhome that floats and no need to book channel crossings. I soon got used to the rear steering and parking them.
Back to thread
I have noticed a trend with Hymer, I say Hymer as they are the vans I tend to look at, others might be similar
The trend is to cheapen the interior by newer models having less cupboard doors and shelving where a cupboard used to be on for example last years model.
But many of the shelves are unusable during transit due to not having a high enough lip to stop stuff flying off.
Possibly partly down to needing to keep the weight down, especially now that the customers (us) have started to notice that many are being sold with unusably small payloads.

grath

I enjoyed my boating days, just like a motorhome that floats and no need to book channel crossings. I soon got used to the rear steering and parking them.

Possibly partly down to needing to keep the weight down, especially now that the customers (us) have started to notice that many are being sold with unusably small payloads.
See my edited post above

This is the addition

Another bad design we found when a kitchen draw got jammed
On the inside of the draw, the catch lever needs to go down to open the catch and oin our case a tin had jammed under the catch.
No matter how I tried to shake the van about or bang on the draw, it would not open and in the end I needed to drill a very small hole in the face of the draw under the catch. Then I could dislodge what I found to be a tin.
Luckily the hole is under the catch and cannot be seen unless a persons eyes are on the floor
Afterwards, I fitted protection under all draw catches, but I see new vans are still the same

HurricaneSmith

,................... But many of the shelves are unusable during transit due to not having a high enough lip to stop stuff flying off.
I agree, as I have a shelf in the bathroom like that.
I keep forgetting to look in shops for a suitably elegant solution that is taller, yet allows easy access. I'll get it sorted one day.

grath

Just done another little mod to our van.
All the facilities and bits & bobs in my garage and took less than one hr.
If van was in storage it would have taken hours back and forth!

jagmanx

I must admit, I wouldn't have a van if I couldn't keep it at home. Some of the little jobs I do would take a lot of 2ing and throwing if in storage
Far too much hassle, maybe I have been spoilt having the room
But I can just nip out to do a little job or check something.
I do feel for folks who can't and I feel even more for owners who need to rely on a dealer to do things
Indeed...We are either using ours or it is in storage.
Makes both little jobs and more difficult to manage..
Access to power and tools and ladders etc.
And as you post 3ing and 4ing.
Also delivery of items...
All possible but......

Forrory

I am sure some of the designers don't use vans or just don't think!
Recently I changed the very long arm mirrors for short arms and it does make a difference! More relaxed driving in tight places.
Today, I raised the wardrobe hanging rail 3 inches. Yes three inches of previous wasted space!
Then I put a shelf type of false bottom above the water tank which is under an internal step.
Previously, only light things could go there, but now bottles of wine !🍷
Room for Extra bottles of wine , MOST IMPORTANT 🍷🥂🍷🥂🍷🥂🍷🥂👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:169)

Matchlock, St3v3, Haaamster, Edina, runnach, Wooie1958, HurricaneSmith, shortcircuit, nutts, nabsim, Rec, mark61, helmit, The laird, Full Member, britcoms, Barge1914, Okta, tugboat, Northumborman, neckender, 2cv, trixie88, Steveandjulie, PeteS, clarkpeacock, Telstar, rab126, helen262, dalspa, Old Man Down, rugbyken, Reiverlad, motoroamer, silverweed, Val54, Phase3begins, TeamRienza, tapfitter, Minisorella, pagey, 1807truckman, maingate, Trek, s4x4c, Topmast, Pawneepilot, Chris Evans001, Mobilvetta, Caz, YOLO BUS, Molly 3, Mikael63, Marv01, Obanboy666, eurajohn, starcott, yorkslass, tonybvi, Undertaker, alwaysared, Biggarmac, mr brown, Jeanette, trevskoda, timatabsa, ton27, Chipvan, V1nny, Boots, Wully, katv, Clunegapyears, peejay, 47643, cronkle, IJenk52, andyjanet, norman64, Borders2, eddyt, Tezza33, donkeytoo, RSD7a, Allen, Ken Parsons, ggohd, SquirrellCook, davidb, pj650, Hellfire, ironman, Samsda, ken sowerby, TJBi, snapster, FULL TIMER, Jillyhug, MOJO, Gixer, Dave, Timberman, David0412, Nitkn, jonscase, Tribute11, rottytara2004, Ian1950, Musto, PopesOnTour, satz, Avocadopicker, Chip, neildenise, scouter, clsmed, EJB, carmel thornton, CardMaker, Elfish, Scomfort, wesaaron, Aud, Bouydog, Master, Markymark, Vatsmith, WingNut, Avonsmith, Markd, harrym, Blabley, hairydog, Jenrai, John Gibb, Petethetug, DaveP, jagmanx, forthpilot, royh28, wildebus, RV2MAX, mervyncp, Munchkins, Funman, Yorky, Ianfkelly1952, abmnw, Gabbie, Littlemush, Forrory, BOTCANU, jwh268, GeoffL, The milkman, CavityandLacey, watchthis, ric, GWAYGWAY, guerdeval, Kduffingb, charlie356, JanettaVienetta, PatB, roadroamer, nodrog, cliff1951, Bobtaylor, FERENZA,