Major lighting issue.

sydnsue

I have a 2013 Elddis Aspire 240 on a Peugeot Boxer chassis. I have had an MOT failure on the front top markers and the number plate light. Also the side markers but they are not on the MOT. An auto electrician has just been here and spent 4 hours trying to find the fault to no avail. He has found a small box inside the drivers door pillar that has fuses and relays, all on a PCB, but he has never seen one before and has gone away to try and find what it is on the internet. All other wiring and connections appear to be in order, hence the mystery. Has anyone ever come across this situation? I shall probably have to ring Hymer Group in Durham to see if they can help but they will probably just tell me to take it to a dealer, which I did, who will call in an auto electrician the same as I have. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2013 Elddis Aspire 240 on a Peugeot Boxer chassis. I have had an MOT failure on the front top markers and the number plate light. Also the side markers but they are not on the MOT. An auto electrician has just been here and spent 4 hours trying to find the fault to no avail. He has found a small box inside the drivers door pillar that has fuses and relays, all on a PCB, but he has never seen one before and has gone away to try and find what it is on the internet. All other wiring and connections appear to be in order, hence the mystery. Has anyone ever come across this situation? I shall probably have to ring Hymer Group in Durham to see if they can help but they will probably just tell me to take it to a dealer, which I did, who will call in an auto electrician the same as I have. Any help would be appreciated.
Are you missing a rear marker opposite to the front and front marker one side and rear the other?

Reason I ask is I tore out what little hair I have left with the above...
And struggled with appropriate fuse, box diagrams only to eventually discover fuses blown in dashboard fuse box on passenger side (our 2003 ducato swift 590 has 4 fuse, boxes...
One either side in the vertical bit of the dash in the cab
One under the bonnet on top of the engine (controlling split charge etc)
And another in the bottom of the wardrobe for habitation.

Marker/side Lights either side are split between 2 fuses to stop you losing all lights I'd 1 fuse blows.

Are you missing a rear marker opposite to the front and front marker one side and rear the other?

Reason I ask is I tore out what little hair I have left with the above...
And struggled with appropriate fuse, box diagrams only to eventually discover fuses blown in dashboard fuse box on passenger side (our 2003 ducato swift 590 has 4 fuse, boxes...
One either side in the vertical bit of the dash in the cab
One under the bonnet on top of the engine (controlling split charge etc)
And another in the bottom of the wardrobe for habitation.

Marker/side Lights either side are split between 2 fuses to stop you losing all lights I'd 1 fuse blows.
Both high front marker are out, both high rear markers are working. Where is the left hand dash fuse box? I didn't know there was one.

Could be a poor earth. Did the sparky check for voltage at the front high marker lights?

Reactions: Alf
Could be a poor earth. Did the sparky check for voltage at the front high marker lights?
There is no voltage there or at the side markers or the number plate. He is a pro auto electrician who gets called out by the motorhome dealers. He was here 4 hours so I imagine he tested for all the usual faults.

All lights are working other than front high markers, side markers and number plate.
I suspect then that it's perhaps on the side of the motorhome conversion side of that makes sense (base vehicle lighting is usually split as I mentioned above)
Maybe from the habitation side fuse box?

I suspect then that it's perhaps on the side of the motorhome conversion side of that makes sense (base vehicle lighting is usually split as I mentioned above)
Maybe from the habitation side fuse box?
Definitely not on the hab fuse box. The lights come on with the main vehicle lights, therefore the load will be sensed by the computer. The electrician wonders if the mystery box is something to do with this. There is a relay clicking inside when the lights are turned on. Peugeot would not reprogramme the computer just for motorhomes as they don't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. I hate EMS. My last motorhome needed a new module which cost me over £1,000. It had to come from Fiat in Italy who programmed it to suit the chassis number. Electrics are not straight forward anymore.

Could you run a jumper cable from side lights/ignition switched live/working marker lights to none functioning marker lights?

Could you run a jumper cable from side lights/ignition switched live/working marker lights to none functioning marker lights?
That may be possible but the module may not like additional load being put on another circuit. Need to find out what this little relay box is first.

That may be possible but the module may not like additional load being put on another circuit. Need to find out what this little relay box is first.
I would run a cable through a towing relay like this, they are used on vehicles with canbus systems because as you say the module will not like the extra bulbs, I suspect the relay you have is something that works very similar 614z5+2QwfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The electrics at the bottom of the B pillar is the converters socket. It contains connectors for things like extension for rear speakers and a 50amp 12v feed from the vehicle battery.

Don’t even think about running extra wiring, I spent weeks undoing this sort of butchery on my plaxton. Funnily enough after putting it back to standard, most faults were solved. If you can’t get a manufactures wiring diagram, additional wiring I expect will be mastered via a relay. Any half competent electrician should be able to do a continuity test to solve the circuits.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back