Marker light issue

Nick-Mandy

Hi folks,
Looking for any advice before I book in the motorhome with the dealership. Just trying save money before getting ripped off.

So ... both my upper rear red/white marker lights, one out of the three yellow each side and the roof hi-resolution brake lights are not working. Its not a fuse and very unlikely the bulbs have sudden blown.

I run a voltage test on a yellow marker light and there's no 12v feed to it. I don't know if its just corrosion on a connection or a broken wire somewhere.

The vehicle is about 30 months old, Elddis say its out of warranty (only 1 year for electrical) so Brownhills want charge me £95 plus vat just to look at it.

I've tried a few auto electricians, but each one says no because its not a standard build.

Any ideas?

Completely different vehicle but I had a marker light issue on my Transit, it transpired that they were included in the base vehicle lighting and it was a Ford fuse that had blown.

Take time with a £5 meter and trace it back, nearly always something simple but a barstewart to find.

When my marker lights failed I traced the wire back to the sidelights on the base vehicle, just a corroded connection and it was easy to find and fix, what is wrong with so-called professionals these days, just because it isn't a standard build so they don't have a wiring diagram to follow to make it easy they don't want to know

Hi folks,
Looking for any advice before I book in the motorhome with the dealership. Just trying save money before getting ripped off.

So ... both my upper rear red/white marker lights, one out of the three yellow each side and the roof hi-resolution brake lights are not working. Its not a fuse and very unlikely the bulbs have sudden blown.

I run a voltage test on a yellow marker light and there's no 12v feed to it. I don't know if its just corrosion on a connection or a broken wire somewhere.

The vehicle is about 30 months old, Elddis say its out of warranty (only 1 year for electrical) so Brownhills want charge me £95 plus vat just to look at it.

I've tried a few auto electricians, but each one says no because its not a standard build.

Any ideas?
Torchy
Have you got a towbar on your Elddis? Mine has a multi plug on left side of vehicle chassis near to rear axle, where they break into the wiring with vehicle specific loom to feed Towbar socket, that multi plug I believe also feeds the rear lights on Moho. Just another connection to check.

I have got a towbar. Good idea although I don't think those connections are failing the markets lighting. Too advance for me to check, the job of an auto electrician.
Looks highly likely I'm going to have to get the dealership involved.
Beforehand, I will check the current of all the lights not working and check for corrosion first before committing to a huge cost.

Our ducato based Swift had a bizarre fail of marker lights...
One rear/opposite front and opposite side markers (front one side rear the other)

Traced back to base vehicle fuse boxes having a blown fuse...
Turns out the marker lights are used fused independently on 2 separate circuits to prevent no side/end losing all lights...

Took ages to track down as I expected marker lights to be on the conversion side not the, base vehicle

Last two years I've had an advisory on my MOT test, not a failure as the marker lights are not working, managed to remove the advisory on first MOT, as my Carthago requires the ignition to be on not just the lights, could not be bothered second time the same tester, reported the marker lights not working again.

What sad world we live in ☹☹ if i had said that to my boss when I served my apprenticeship I would have got my arse kicked, no fancy meters just 2 bits of wire and a bulb soldered on the end and told to get on with it, all part of your training, I know i had a hard task master who taught me my trade and back in the early 50s every thing was very basic and everything has advanced over the years but everything comes back to the word "BASIC" you know the fault, make a decision, start at the beginning or start at the end it all comes out in the end, best of luck with your problem and don't forget to check the earth return this can be the cause of many problems.
Don't forget that a lot of our so called tradesmen in the motor trade are 6 week wonders they have been on various courses and have then been given the fancy title of "TECHNICIAN " 🤣🤣
One thing you can be sure of, one hell of a lot of them certainly know how to pass the "BUCK"
Sorry to be so synical on a Monday morning but we have all paid for our units with hard earned cash and deserve a much better service.
If I have up set anyone then hard shit maybe the truth hurts.

Last two years I've had an advisory on my MOT test, not a failure as the marker lights are not working, managed to remove the advisory on first MOT, as my Carthago requires the ignition to be on not just the lights, could not be bothered second time the same tester, reported the marker lights not working again.
Interesting info .... ty
Ofcourse I would like the lights working but more worried about an MOT pass in February.

I have 2 main spot lamps out, so looks like a relay, worst bit is I did the wiring and cannot be sure to I get time to plod over it. :unsure:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back