Max Towing Weight

Nick-Mandy

If my motorhome is plated [M.T.P.L.M. = 3500kgs] and the [Maximum Towing limit = 2000kgs] then I believe if I was to put a trailer on the towbar weighting 1500kgs, I could not put more than 500kgs inside the trailer? Does this make a difference if the trailer is braked or not?

Unbraked trailers are no more than 750 KG's, Max gross weight.

You need to check your train weight, I guess from what you are saying you will want your train weight to be 5500 KG

You also need to check GVW of the trailer. I have to say though, thats a real heavy trailer if it's 1500 KG empty? Or have I misunderstood?

The vin plate usually has the maximum plated weight, maximum train weight ( max weight + max trailer weight, )Max front axle weight and max rear axle weight, in that order.
I won’t show ( or shouldn’t show) the max trailer weight alone.
Your trailer will show it’s max payload.

If my motorhome is plated [M.T.P.L.M. = 3500kgs] and the [Maximum Towing limit = 2000kgs] then I believe if I was to put a trailer on the towbar weighting 1500kgs, I could not put more than 500kgs inside the trailer? Does this make a difference if the trailer is braked or not?
Legally, the weight in the trailer is not actually important, it is the rated GROSS Trailer Capacity that is important.
If you could tow a weight of 2000Kg, then that means you cannot tow a POTENTIAL weight of more than 2000Kg.
If the trailer you have weighs 1500Kg and it has a potential capacity payload of say 2000kg (so maximum possible weight would be 3500Kg = trailer + load), you would not be allowed to tow it even it were empty.
It is exactly the same principle as when a Van has a GVW over 3,500Kg you need a C1 license, regardless of what the actual weight of the van is. It is all about Potential weights, not actual weights.

(and if the trailer WAS 1,500Kg, which is a pretty heavy trailer, there is no way it will have a rated capacity of just 500kg)

The vin plate usually has the maximum plated weight, maximum train weight ( max weight + max trailer weight, )Max front axle weight and max rear axle weight, in that order.
I won’t show ( or shouldn’t show) the max trailer weight alone.
Your trailer will show it’s max payload.
True, it won't be on the VIN plate, but a max trailer weight is usually included in the literature somewhere these days.
Wasn't always the case, which was a bit of a loop hole for those that tow a lot.

True, it won't be on the VIN plate, but a max trailer weight is usually included in the literature somewhere these days.
Wasn't always the case, which was a bit of a loop hole for those that tow a lot.
The maximum trailer weight is not that straight forward I'm afraid. If you attach a trailer to your van you can then treat it as one long extended vehicle. If the two together do not exceed the train weight (or whatever it's currently called) ie the highest number on the VIN plate of a two axle van, or any of the individual axle weight then you are ok. In effect you can carry less in the tow vehicle so that you can tow a heavier trailer.

Obviously you have to have an appropriate towing hitch which is something else that limits what the tow vehicle can do, as well as brakes on the trailer etc.

Edit: I suspect we are all trying to make the same point but in different ways

The maximum trailer weight is not that straight forward I'm afraid. If you attach a trailer to your van you can then treat it as one long extended vehicle. If the two together do not exceed the train weight (or whatever it's currently called) ie the highest number on the VIN plate of a two axle van, or any of the individual axle weight then you are ok. In effect you can carry less in the tow vehicle so that you can tow a heavier trailer.

Obviously you have to have an appropriate towing hitch which is something else that limits what the tow vehicle can do, as well as brakes on the trailer etc.

Edit: I suspect we are all trying to make the same point but in different ways

Certainly used to be the case, all a bit of a grey area now. I haven't looked in detail at all manufactures but certainly for the Sprinter, the literature says 2000KG towing limit. This isn't expressed anywhere on the VIN plate. They now offer options of 2.8, 3.0, and perhaps even 3.5 towing limits, VIN plate showing different GTW.

Sorry, I obviously didn't make myself clear. If, as you say, they offer different towing weights and they show different train weights on the VIN that is as it should be. As long as the combined weight of the van and trailer does not exceed the train weight, individual axle weights or the limit of the various parts of the towingf hitch then the combination is legal. So, In effect you can carry less in the tow vehicle so that you can tow a heavier trailer. This is a lift from the Govt web site
7.3 GCW - Gross Combination Weight
This is specified by the manufacturer of the towing vehicle and it means the maximum permitted weight of the combination (ie total of the towing vehicle and the trailer, including the loads on both). Also known as Gross Train Weight (GTW). To help find the maximum weight of trailer that can be towed, you could subtract the GVW of the towing vehicle from the GCW. (in this example a 2000kg trailer would be permitted). However if the towing vehicle is not fully laden, any spare weight capacity can be used by the trailer, so long as the GCW and trailer GVW are not exceeded.

Sorry, I obviously didn't make myself clear. If, as you say, they offer different towing weights and they show different train weights on the VIN that is as it should be. As long as the combined weight of the van and trailer does not exceed the train weight, individual axle weights or the limit of the various parts of the towingf hitch then the combination is legal. So, In effect you can carry less in the tow vehicle so that you can tow a heavier trailer. This is a lift from the Govt web site
7.3 GCW - Gross Combination Weight
This is specified by the manufacturer of the towing vehicle and it means the maximum permitted weight of the combination (ie total of the towing vehicle and the trailer, including the loads on both). Also known as Gross Train Weight (GTW). To help find the maximum weight of trailer that can be towed, you could subtract the GVW of the towing vehicle from the GCW. (in this example a 2000kg trailer would be permitted). However if the towing vehicle is not fully laden, any spare weight capacity can be used by the trailer, so long as the GCW and trailer GVW are not exceeded.

No, you made yourself perfectly clear, I also know what's on the Gov site and have operated as such for many years.
What I am saying is, is this now clashes with what manufacturers say, or at least Mercedes. It could always be the case their tech dept haven't got a clue, that of course is possible.

To be fair to them they may well be having to write a document about a subject that varies from country to country. I can imagine that the law varies slightly from nation to nation. A number of countries require trailers to be registered as an individual vehicle rather than as here where we treat the trailer as an extension to the tow vehicle.and that may have implications for how gross train weight is interpreted.

To be fair to them they may well be having to write a document about a subject that varies from country to country. I can imagine that the law varies slightly from nation to nation. A number of countries require trailers to be registered as an individual vehicle rather than as here where we treat the trailer as an extension to the tow vehicle.and that may have implications for how gross train weight is interpreted.
Yes, thats very true. 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back