Mini Router Data Package

Does 3 connect through a uk ip address like Vodaphone so you can still use iPlayer and suchlike with need for a VPN?

Using 3 in the USA it has a UK ip address so no need for a VPN, roaming data limits apply of course.

Thanks

Is the antenna on your roof? How did/do you pass the cables through to the MH insides? Did you drill holes to run them?
Yes, the antenna provides a number of options, but drilling a hole in the roof to both pass the cables and secure the antenna was the obvious option. I didn't drill the hole myself as it would have meant purchasing a suitable drill/holecutter for one-off use and drilling in a moderately congested area in order for cables to arrive inside locker. I was having other work done anyway, so just added that to the list. May have cost a little more than buying the kit to do it myself, but I also purchased peace of mind!

Reactions: GMJ
Yes, the antenna provides a number of options, but drilling a hole in the roof to both pass the cables and secure the antenna was the obvious option. I didn't drill the hole myself as it would have meant purchasing a suitable drill/holecutter for one-off use and drilling in a moderately congested area in order for cables to arrive inside locker. I was having other work done anyway, so just added that to the list. May have cost a little more than buying the kit to do it myself, but I also purchased peace of mind!

Thanks. I would do exactly the same. I'm not brave enough to go drilling holes in my MH o_O

Kontikiman.
Hi everybody after asking the question Which Wi-Fi Data Package and which
Wi-Fi aerial would you recommend. I have purchased a Muama Ryoko which I seen advertised on YouTube also I have purchased a Data Sim from BT 30 Gig at £15 a Month I have tried it in the Motorhome with my Amazon Fire Stick and all seems Fine, can’t wait to get away and try it further afield will keep you Informed.

Hi can any of my fellow Motorhomers advise me what is the best Data Package available for a Mini Router. And what is the Best Wi-fi Aerial to put on the roof. Thanks in Advance.
Kontikiman.
Hi, I just use my phone as a hotspot O2 , unlimited calls and texts, 150gb data £20pcm, 18 month contract. Run everything off it, Satnav, firestick, tablets and laptop, never been anywhere near to using it up. Cheers

I believe that EE and 3 (Smarty's parent company) share some transmitter infrastructure, so you might find that you have options regarding provider.

I'm not sure if this is the case in the North of Scotland. I did hope this was the case. My Dad is on Plusnet with his mobile as was I a couple of years ago when we made a trip up North. Plusnet piggybacks onto EE. I was blown away with where we were getting a great signal. I jumped to 3 to get unlimited everything and Binge Netflix and for use when abroad when working/holiday and made the same trip. I couldn't get a signal many places up North when my Dad was getting a good signal on Plusnet/EE. I bought a Poynting antenna, and a router and it become so much of a Pfaff to deal with and no really if any benefit. To be honest, if you get a signal utilise it. If not, read a book or watch a movie off of a hard drive and check email/browse when you get a decent signal.

Don't think buying an antenna and a router/mifi is going to get you a signal where there isn't one. Its like a TV booster....if the signal is poor quality...the booster can only amplify a poor quality signal.

Hi can any of my fellow Motorhomers advise me what is the best Data Package available for a Mini Router. And what is the Best Wi-fi Aerial to put on the roof. Thanks in Advance.
Kontikiman.
I had an O2 data only SIM for my MiFi router only to find that they didn’t allow roaming on this type of contract; this was about 5 years ago so I don’t know if they still have this restriction so check the small print of any provider before signing a contract. Interestingly their contracts with voice & data didn’t have this restriction & I was advised to get one of these SIMs instead. Obviously this is only relevant if traveling in the EU.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back